Canada Kicks Ass
Whats the Canadian Navy realy like?

Previous  1  2  3

raydan @ Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:12 pm

Choban Choban:
raydan raydan:
A lot more recent than my "old man and his ship" photo. :lol:

Yah, the ship pic is off of DND website, the pic of my Pop is last year on the RIMPAC ex.

My pic was taken in Halifax, probably in 1955.

SprCForr @ Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
Besides, try lighting a campfire on deck and see what that gets you. :lol:

Exactly!
:lol:

Freakinoldguy @ Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:57 pm

SprCForr SprCForr:
Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
is the fact that unlike the boys in the army you're bunk and galley always come with you. It's kinda like going camping RVing..... but only on the ocean. :D

Fix'd that for you.

"Camping" my ass, you guys use a friggin' RV. Don't knock sleeping in muddy holes until you've tried it! :lol:

Actually I've done a number of exercises where we lashed army electronics vehicles to the upper deck, so you're assumption of RV'ing maybe alot closer than you think. But I seem to remember hitting a storm and one of those trailers wasn't there when the forenoon watch closed up. Fortunately there wasn't anyone in it at the time it decided to check it's own bouyancy. 8O

But speaking about having fun on the ocean, when I was on the tanker years ago we took a bunch of you guys out to do a Colonel Potlach Exercise and guess what the army showed up with????

A foosball and pool table. ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

I guess nobody bothered to tell you guys that the ocean ain't always flat. :wink:

SprCForr @ Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:16 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:

Actually I've done a number of exercises where we lashed army electronics vehicles to the upper deck, so you're assumption of RV'ing maybe alot closer than you think. But I seem to remember hitting a storm and one of those trailers wasn't there when the forenoon watch closed up. Fortunately there wasn't anyone in it at the time it decided to check it's own bouyancy. 8O

That right there is reason #3 on why SprCForr didn't join the Navy... PDT_Armataz_01_32

$1:
But speaking about having fun on the ocean, when I was on the tanker years ago we took a bunch of you guys out to do a Colonel Potlach Exercise and guess what the army showed up with????

A foosball and pool table. ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

I guess nobody bothered to tell you guys that the ocean ain't always flat. :wink:

Grunts. What can you do with them? :lol:

Freakinoldguy @ Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:24 pm

PDT_Armataz_01_40 ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL R=UP

Gunnair @ Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:23 pm

SprCForr SprCForr:

Grunts. What can you do with them? :lol:

Stewards usually. :wink:

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:02 pm

About 1/4 of our deck department had re-mustered from the infantry(grunt to deck ape wasn't a big evolutionary change). When I did my TSQAB at Windsor Park most of the firefighters on our course were former chicken fuckers and picklies. They were all LS and MS.

stokes @ Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:13 pm

I have over 16 years in the Navy as a Marine Engineer (ships propulsion) and I love it! The Navy is not as strict as the army but not as soft as the Airforce. If you want to be a Marine Electrician, there is no current subsidized education program available. However if you would like to get involved in electronics we have numerous arrangements with collges across Canada where you can attend on the governments dime and get paid to go there.

All you need to qualify is to meet the academic entry standards for your chosen trade, for a technician you will need Grade 12 physics, academic math, and english with at least a 70% average. If you want to attend one of the collges we have an agreement with, you will need a letter of unconditional acceptance prior to being enrolled.

The life in the Navy, especially for technicians is not easy, we work a lot more in tough conditions and we are always fighting for spares and assistance from fleet maintenance. Electricians for the most part when they start out spend a lot of time changing light bulbs, and doing basic electrical isolation. As you get qualified more your responsibilities will increase.

We dont spend as much time away as we used to, but we do a lot more operational sailing. I have seen most of Asia and the middle east as I have sailed on the West Coast, those on the East Coast will see more of Europe, Caribean and the mediteranian.

Yogi @ Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:22 pm

ItsJustOscar ItsJustOscar:
$1:
I've been in the Navy for 24 years and wouldn't trade a day of it.

may I ask what position(s) you have held, and do you know what positions are the best, ore sailors like the most?

8O 8O ON TOP! ALWAYS ON TOP!!!

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:26 pm

Do they still have that 2 yr. Marine Engineering Technician course? I think it was offered at St. Lawrence College. I tried to get my bother in law to apply after he graduated from high school, but he decided to give that a miss and dropped out of engineering at university. He went on to get his master tradesman as a mechanic....in hindsight it was better that he did this as he puked on the crossing between Tsawwassen and Swartz Bay. :?

stokes @ Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:11 am

Shep, they do still have the course, it is held at the Marine Institute at the Memorial University of Newfoundland. They do both Mar Eng and Naval Electronic Techs.

ItsJustOscar @ Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:15 am

stokes stokes:
I have over 16 years in the Navy as a Marine Engineer

I have done reserch, and watched many videos, and I would love to me a Engineeer in the navy, but I am unsure that I will be able to fill the position, as it seems like there is alot of responsability, and like it would be very tough to take control of a whole system of a ship.

$1:
We dont spend as much time away as we used to, but we do a lot more operational sailing. I have seen most of Asia and the middle east as I have sailed on the West Coast, those on the East Coast will see more of Europe, Caribean and the mediteranian.

About how much time do yoiu spend away? at home? is this a normal amount, or have you just been lucking out ?

stokes @ Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:54 pm

When I first joined, we would spend 200 days plus away every year, now most ships will spend about 100 days and those deploying overseas will spend over 200 away, we just dont have the money any more.

Being an engineer is not that different from being an electrician, you will be very busy regardless. Being busy is a good thing as you are not always bored when you are at sea. As an engineer you will do rounds on running machinery at sea, and while alongside you will do maintenance in one of 3 sections,Auxiliary Machinery, Main Propulsion or Outside Machinery. You will learn what your responsibilities are and it isnt that tough....trust me...just ensure you have a good ubderstanding of math and physics.

ItsJustOscar @ Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:44 pm

stokes stokes:
just ensure you have a good ubderstanding of math and physics.

ok, great!

but now i have to go through another 4 years of school... XD

thanks for all your help, youve helped me tons!

Previous  1  2  3