Canada Kicks Ass
Why those who say "I Support the Troops" really don't

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

martin14 @ Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:32 am

Foxer Foxer:

Here's a little thing you might want to think about. Whenever you feel the need to act like a jackass or pretend you have something to contribute to a conversation - first take the time to make sure you're right so you don't broadcast the fact you haven't got a clue to the world.

FROM the dictionary - one definition of 'support'.

To argue in favor of; advocate:

So - those who speak in favour of the troops are supporting them.

Respect: To feel or show deferential regard for; esteem.

Ergo - when you speak in favour of the troops you are indeed showing deferential regard for them, you hold them in esteem.

So - indeed it is quite true to say that people that speak in support of the troops are showing them respect. Hence - it is reasonable to say that for many people, respect means speaking in support of the troops, and "i support the troops' is a statement of respect.

I'm sorry your poor linguistic skills lead you to look like a jackass AND a fool, but perhaps next time don't lead with an insult and do your homework.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

That's the funniest piece of horseshit I've read in quite a while.

you should stick around, it will be great to watch you make a complete
ass of yourself.. frequently.. :lol: :lol:

Foxer @ Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:45 am

martin14 martin14:

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

That's the funniest piece of horseshit I've read in quite a while.

you should stick around, it will be great to watch you make a complete
ass of yourself.. frequently.. :lol: :lol:

Reason and logic often appear funny to the uneducated or dullards. I have little doubt you find it hilarious :)

(this is why big bang is so popular :) )

I probably will stick around - for much the same reason that i visit the zoo to look at the monkeys :) Of course - one does have to watch out when they fling their feces (nice post btw - still nothing intelligent to add, just insults).

MeganC @ Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:08 pm

The best way to stop women from getting raped in the military is to keep women out of the military. Let it be a gay boys club.

Gunnair @ Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:02 pm

MeganC MeganC:
The best way to stop women from getting raped in the military is to keep women out of the military. Let it be a gay boys club.

... or get rid of the thudfucks that think raping women is okay.

I doubt you want those guys deployed to a foreign country as ambassadors of US foreign policy.

Unsound @ Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:28 pm

MeganC MeganC:

sarcasm?

Newfy @ Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:37 pm

Why can't people be able to give their support in any way they see fit? I think Moore is just delving too deep into the subject to stir it up. Nothing new there! Obviously there are always going to be extreme elements as there are everywhere in life.

From my own point of view as a soldier, I am very grateful for the support that we do get specially after so many years of the opposite. We had a unique situation in the UK however, with the IRA threat for so many years we were basically banned from wearing uniform or revealing or job anywhere in public when off duty. This has only changed in recent years and we are now being actively encouraged to promote ourselves in public, unless of course you are serving in Northern Ireland. There are always going to be idiots in the military just as there are in civilian society as we are after all just a representation of society. You are always going to get thieves, rapists, etc in the forces. They hopefully won't last for too long before they're caught out, not always the case I know.

The problem I think now is that the whole "Support the Troops" effort is almost going to much the other way. Soldiers are now being put on pedestals by many almost to the point of hero worship. A true soldier will never call himself a hero and the very word is now in over use by civilians. Here in the UK we now have an annual awards ceremony called Military Awards or "Millies". Awards are given to members of the forces for things they have done on deployment or in their every day work. While grateful, I'm sure most of the recipients would rather not be singled out in this way.

Whilst I and I'm sure the majority of the forces are very grateful for all the support we do get, I don't think it justifies some of the abuse and threats that are aimed at those that don't seemingly actively come out and support us. I include many soldiers in this as I know of many who unfortunately portray the rest of us in a bad light with their ignorance and lack of education.

Xort @ Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:35 pm

$1:
Who amongst you big enthusiastic "supporters of the troops" can tell me the approximate number of service women who have been raped while in the military? Answer: 19,000 (mostly) female troops are raped or sexually assaulted every year by fellow American troops.

Because of the author I will question this number. Without checking in anymore depth I can already see one problem, he asks how many have been raped but answers with a stat that is rape and sexual assault. Also this is a statement that doesn't reflect criminal convictions, which is the only reasonable stance you can take. If I say I was raped 10,000 times last year you could add my claim of being raped to our statistics.

The offical number for rapes in the US is 27.3 per 100,000. In the US military with 2,915,362 total members, having 19,000 rapes (and sexual assaults) a year gives a rate of 5 per 100,000. Which is 5 times lower than the general population.

If you say but it's mostly women! Ok fine. 20% of the US military are women. Hey look the rate of being raped is almost identical. And I'm using a number that includes sexual assault which isn't in the national number I quoted.

BeaverFever @ Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:30 pm

Xort Xort:
$1:
Who amongst you big enthusiastic "supporters of the troops" can tell me the approximate number of service women who have been raped while in the military? Answer: 19,000 (mostly) female troops are raped or sexually assaulted every year by fellow American troops.

Because of the author I will question this number. Without checking in anymore depth I can already see one problem, he asks how many have been raped but answers with a stat that is rape and sexual assault. Also this is a statement that doesn't reflect criminal convictions, which is the only reasonable stance you can take. If I say I was raped 10,000 times last year you could add my claim of being raped to our statistics.

The offical number for rapes in the US is 27.3 per 100,000. In the US military with 2,915,362 total members, having 19,000 rapes (and sexual assaults) a year gives a rate of 5 per 100,000. Which is 5 times lower than the general population.

If you say but it's mostly women! Ok fine. 20% of the US military are women. Hey look the rate of being raped is almost identical. And I'm using a number that includes sexual assault which isn't in the national number I quoted.

Easily substantiated:

$1:
WASHINGTON -- U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said Wednesday that the Pentagon is preparing new initiatives to try to curb sexual assaults in the military -- a problem he believes could be six times greater than reported.

Panetta said 3,191 sex assault cases were reported in the military last year, but because so few victims come forward, he believes the real number is closer to 19,000 assaults.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/01 ... -year?lite

Gunnair @ Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:04 pm

Xort Xort:
$1:

Stating that a profession of arms with highly trained and supposedly highly ethical personnel has managed to squeak in or around the national average of rapes is a rather dubious claim to be boasting.

Maybe you shouldn't bother.

CanadianJeff @ Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:14 pm

It's very sad that it had to be a piece of hypocritical crap like Micheal Moore to say it but with the way we treat our veterans I question if he is indeed correct.

We seem in most of the western world to only support our troops so long as they are at war. The moment they retire we throw them to the gutters with no bone to even chew on.

It's always something I've vastly disagreed with and I think more organizations dedicated to employing former soldiers like the commmissionaires (http://www.commissionaires.ca/national/en/about/about/) are very important to maintain.

commanderkai @ Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:21 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Easily substantiated:

$1:
WASHINGTON -- U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said Wednesday that the Pentagon is preparing new initiatives to try to curb sexual assaults in the military -- a problem he believes could be six times greater than reported.

Panetta said 3,191 sex assault cases were reported in the military last year, but because so few victims come forward, he believes the real number is closer to 19,000 assaults.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/01 ... -year?lite

I get that many cases go unreported, but, using the estimated number of 19,000, instead of what was actually proven isn't exactly a good way to prove anything. Prove to me there are 19,000 cases of sexual assault in the military?

The answer is...you can't, because we really don't know.

Xort @ Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:22 am

Gunnair Gunnair:
Stating that a profession of arms with highly trained and supposedly highly ethical personnel has managed to squeak in or around the national average of rapes is a rather dubious claim to be boasting.

Actualy when you look at the numbers the national average is for men and women. While I was only using women number for the military. If you adjust the national population down to just women, then reduce the number of rape by the amount of men raped, you find the millitary is actual a lot lower, around half, and that's using an estimated number that's 6 times higher than the reported number for the military.

Tricks @ Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:09 am

Newfy Newfy:
Soldiers are now being put on pedestals by many almost to the point of hero worship. A true soldier will never call himself a hero and the very word is now in over use by civilians.

$1:
During the interview segment of the miniseries Band of Brothers, Winters quoted a passage from a letter he received from Sergeant Mike Ranney, "I cherish the memories of a question my grandson asked me the other day when he said, 'Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?' Grandpa said 'No… but I served in a company of heroes.'"

Gunnair @ Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:14 am

Xort Xort:
Gunnair Gunnair:

Actualy when you look at the numbers the national average is for men and women. While I was only using women number for the military. If you adjust the national population down to just women, then reduce the number of rape by the amount of men raped, you find the millitary is actual a lot lower, around half, and that's using an estimated number that's 6 times higher than the reported number for the military.

Which would still be far too high.

Tricks @ Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:36 am

Gunnair Gunnair:
Xort Xort:
Gunnair Gunnair:

Which would still be far too high.

Anything higher than zero is far too high...

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next