Canada Kicks Ass
Aerosmith to about to announce their new lead singer

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Robair @ Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:51 pm

andyt andyt:
Robair Robair:
andyt andyt:
How about they just announce their retirement? I don't think they've aged particularly well, nor were they ever my idea of a top name act. Steven Tyler got picked in a Mick Jagger lookalike contest. I'll take the real thing, musically speaking.

Wait, what? You are saying the stones are better musicians than Aerosmith??

Yes. Or more accurately, I much prefer their music.

More accurately is right. Brad Whitford has more musical talent in his left hand than the entire stones band has ever had.

ASLplease @ Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:19 pm

imo, Aerosmith is Steven Tyler. if he breaks with the group, wrf do we care what the other musucians are doing? I\'ll be watching Steven Tyler's career, not theirs.

DerbyX @ Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:46 pm

ASLplease ASLplease:
imo, Aerosmith is Steven Tyler. if he breaks with the group, wrf do we care what the other musucians are doing? I\'ll be watching Steven Tyler's career, not theirs.

I wouldn't say that. Joe Perry is arguably as much Aerosmith as Tyler. Sorta like saying if Plant left Zeppelin then Jimmy Page wouldn't be enough.

I watch and listen to what both do but I do agree that Areosmith will not be the same without both. Some bands choose to split up when a key member leaves and/or dies and some go on.

Bon Scott was the recognizable voice and a personality of ACDC but I don't think anybody thinks that ACDC isn't ACDC because of Brian Johnson.

Lemmy @ Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:54 pm

But neither Bon Scott nor Brian Johnson are vocalists of Steve Tyler's calibre. Not even close. I'm not really a big Aerosmith fan, but Tyler is a rare talent.

And Jimmy Page is the sloppiest player I've ever heard. Virtually any guitar player replacing Page would have up-graded Zeppelin in the guitar department...either Whitford or Perry, for example.

DerbyX @ Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:15 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
But neither Bon Scott nor Brian Johnson are vocalists of Steve Tyler's calibre. Not even close. I'm not really a big Aerosmith fan, but Tyler is a rare talent.

And Jimmy Page is the sloppiest player I've ever heard. Virtually any guitar player replacing Page would have up-graded Zeppelin in the guitar department...either Whitford or Perry, for example.

I disagree. Tyler is a great vocalist but so was Bon Scott. He could hit the high notes too. Brian Johnson perhaps less so but I love AC/DC far more then Areosmith.

As for Page not being a good guitarist well its hard for me to say since I don't play guitar but Page is responsible for some of the best riffs in rock history.

Lemmy @ Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:21 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:
I disagree. Tyler is a great vocalist but so was Bon Scott. He could hit the high notes too. Brian Johnson perhaps less so but I love AC/DC far more then Areosmith.

Bon Scott was a goddamn roadie who filled in when their real singer quit. I love AC/DC too, and both singers fit the AC/DC sound and groove. But Tyler is, objectively, a much better vocalist than either Scott or Johnson, in terms of vocal talent, again, even though I don't particularly like Aerosmith. Tyler is a harder voice to replace.

DerbyX DerbyX:
As for Page not being a good guitarist well its hard for me to say since I don't play guitar but Page is responsible for some of the best riffs in rock history.

Page stole most of his riffs from black American blues players like Muddy Waters. No one is Malcolm Young's equal as a riff master.

DerbyX @ Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:31 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:

Bon Scott was a goddamn roadie who filled in when their real singer quit. I love AC/DC too, and both singers fit the AC/DC sound and groove. But Tyler is, objectively, a much better vocalist than either Scott or Johnson, in terms of vocal talent, again, even though I don't particularly like Aerosmith. Tyler is a harder voice to replace.

Well I guess that is opinion. Just because he was a roadie at first doesn't mean he wasn't a great vocalist. Tyler may be hard to replace because he is so associated with Areosmith for some 4 decades. Had they done it back in the toxic twins era it would be another story. That being said its interesting to see who owns the name "Areosmith". Can they use that name without Tyler?

Lemmy Lemmy:
Page stole most of his riffs from black American blues players like Muddy Waters. No one is Malcolm Young's equal as a riff master.

Like Elvis did? :lol:

I'll assume you are specifically are referring to Whole lotta love. Well Pages rift was Pages rift regardless. Dazed and Confused, Over the Hills and Far Away, and Stairway to Heaven weren't ripped off.

Lemmy @ Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:36 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:
I'll assume you are specifically are referring to Whole lotta love. Well Pages rift was Pages rift regardless. Dazed and Confused, Over the Hills and Far Away, and Stairway to Heaven weren't ripped off.

Uhhh, wrong. Page never wrote anything original. Stairway to Heaven is a direct rip-off of Spirit's "Taurus". He stole all his licks from one place or another.

DerbyX @ Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:40 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
DerbyX DerbyX:

Uhhh, wrong. Page never wrote anything original. Stairway to Heaven is a direct rip-off of Spirit's "Taurus". He stole all his licks from one place or another.

Well all I can respond with is that what I read is he composed those songs (mostly) in Bron-Y-Aur.

Elvis was also accused of stealing music right?

Lemmy @ Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:02 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:
Well all I can respond with is that what I read is he composed those songs (mostly) in Bron-Y-Aur.

Download the Spirit tune and get back to me.

DerbyX DerbyX:
Elvis was also accused of stealing music right?

I'm no expert on Elvis, but I think he covered tunes. I don't think he claimed to have composed many of the songs he recorded. Page is a thief and plagiarist. Since he's also a piss-poor guitar player, I haven't got a whole bunch of respect for him.

DerbyX @ Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:14 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
Download the Spirit tune and get back to me.

OK. Page lifted the descending guitar figure (whatever that means) but the other riffs remain his. This doesn't however invalidate Pages work in other hits such as Dazed and Confused, Over the Hills and Far Away, Battle of Evermore.

In fact can you say that more Led Zeppelin tunes/riffs were stolen as opposed to original? How many great Zeppelin tunes aren't ripped off?

Lemmy Lemmy:
I'm no expert on Elvis, but I think he covered tunes. I don't think he claimed to compose many of the songs he recorded. Page is a thief and plagiarist. Since he's also a piss-poor guitar player, I haven't got a whole bunch of respect for him.

Well there is more then a few examples of Elvis ripping off tunes.

The question is, is music better or worse for it?

Led Zeppelin is quite frankly one of the top 5 influential bands of the past 50 years. Oh, you have you issues and criticism but they are unquestionably one of the greatest bands in history.

Robair @ Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:18 pm

WDHIII WDHIII:
Strange, considering they just posted the video the other day....

:rock: R=UP

Lemmy @ Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:28 pm

I'll grant you that Zeppelin were highly influential. I'll even grant you that they're likely the most influential band of the past 50 years, save the Beatles. But I haven't any repect for Jimmy Page. Sorry. I can't even listen to the Zeppelin tunes I used to like because they've been beaten to death by classic-rock radio. That said, I do still like "In Through the Out Door" and that record, along with "The Firm" are the two best examples of Page's work.

DerbyX @ Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:34 pm

And with that lets see some Led Zeppelin hits:

Robair @ Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:55 am

What follows is a short rock and roll clinic put on by Aerosmith. The preformance is tight, Whitford demonstrates the ABC's of a rock solo followed by sloppy Joe's singature style on his left handed axe srung right.

This is a band that has, in the sober second half of their career, tackled their performances like a full time job. practice, rehearse, practice, rehearse etc etc. If you've ever seen them live, you've seen proof of this.
They demonstrate a little of it here, even in this short number for SNL. The coriographed "fly" bit at the start, and incorperating the house band for a sax solo...

http://www.tu.tv/videos/aerosmith-big-t ... ecord-snl-

This is for the asshat claiming the stones are more musically talented. Find me proof.

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next