Canada Kicks Ass
Albertans talk the talk, but not walk the walk....

Previous  1  2  3  Next

Diffident_Albertan @ Sat May 28, 2005 8:52 pm

Tman:

I'll let you in on a little know secret that has yet to be let out in the press.

Ralph isn't going anywhere - he is sick dude. I heard he has cancer and has fallen off the wagon as a result of the news. That's why he pissed off for a week and went fishing.

Tman1 @ Sat May 28, 2005 8:53 pm

Diffident_Albertan Diffident_Albertan:
Tman:

I'll let you in on a little know secret that has yet to be let out in the press.

Ralph isn't going anywhere - he is sick dude. I heard he has cancer and has fallen off the wagon as a result of the news. That's why he pissed off for a week and went fishing.

I know, Ive lived in Alberta most of my life. :D

Diffident_Albertan @ Sat May 28, 2005 8:59 pm

Tman1 Tman1:
Tman:

I know, Ive lived in Alberta most of my life. :D

Well there ya go! LOL. You should come visit my blog sometime www.cowtwngrl.blogspot.com. Share yours with me if you have one.

Tman1 @ Sat May 28, 2005 9:03 pm

Whats that? Never seen it before..

Diffident_Albertan @ Sat May 28, 2005 9:12 pm

Web blogs. If you haven't visited them you they are a must see. You can get an amazing amount of information off them because many of us link to one another.

Check out my site... you'll get the idea.

GunPlumber @ Sat May 28, 2005 9:37 pm

DevilsAdvocate DevilsAdvocate:
No, no... the reason Alberta has no debt is because it's oil-rich.

If it were only that simple. Back in the bad old days (circa 1991) Alberta was swimming in debt and Ralph Klein was elected on a promise of getting the province's books balanced. To do that, a lot of cuts were made and the PC's brought in a law that has made deficit budgets illegal. About the time the serious belt-tightening got underway, the price of oil began to rise. The provincial Liberal and NDP parties started clamoring for hundreds of millions in increased program spending but, the Tories decided to stay the course. We have debt-free status not only because of fortuitous circumstance (the high price of oil) but also because we had prudent managers who made a plan and stuck to it. Had the left-wing been in power nigh these 14 years, I'm sure we'd lead the country in over-funded social programs, but I'd doubt we'd have anything near a balanced budget (never mind debt-free status). In the meantime, in addition to debt-free status, we have also acquired the best healthcare system on the continent, we lead the nation in primary school ( K - 12 ) achievement, our universities and hospitals are going gang-busters on research and development and we have a pro-business environment that is unmatched. The quality of life is amazing and to place credit for all this simply on the price of crude is beyond short-sightedness.

$1:
There isn't even a need for a provincial sales tax. But just because there isn't any debt doesn't mean there isn't government corruption, misspending and waste. Just as a defecit isn't proof of corruption, misspending and waste.

One of the unwritten rules is: when you're at the top of your game, everyone will be gunning for you. Sure there's mismanagement in the Government of Alberta, but find me a government or business at this scale that is squeaky clean. Because Alberta is enjoying the profits of good management, everyone and their dog thinks this government need to be held to a higher standard. And it's funny that those pointing the finger believe that they, or those they work for, do not need to meet the same criteria that they hold Alberta to. As far as I care, the government here has done the right thing in breaking the cycle of deficit spending which in my mind is the ultimate form of government corruption.

I guess it's easier to point-out the solitary dandelion in my backyard, than it is to admit yours is overgrown with weeds. It's a diversionary tactic (at best) to point out the shortcomings of a successful provincial government as an excuse for the blatant criminality of the federal government.

$1:
As for the waste, read the article. King Ralph is giving $60,000 bonuses to friends of his government. Just slide this money over here and that money over there. It's not like the people of Alberta will care. Nope. Not one iota. King Ralph can waste away billions of tax dollars and nobody in Alberta will say boo. Just because he can afford it doesn't make it right.

I read the article, or at least I tried to. Rick Bell's stream-of-not-quite-consciousness writing style leaves me puzzled as to what exactly he was trying to say. If there are accusations to be made, state them clearly and supply the proof. If Bell is trying to substitute confused-obfuscation for intelligence, as his tactic to stir debate, then he has lost even before the game has begun. Hooray for Rick if he wants to support the lefties (which he does often). That's all their side needs, one more idiot without an intelligent argument.

No wonder the provincial PC's seem undefeatable.

Diffident_Albertan @ Sat May 28, 2005 9:46 pm

Gen:

Does fiscal conservatism include a 90% increase in program spending and a 100% increase in bureaucratic gov't? Perhaps you and I have differing opinions on exactly what fiscal conservatism is. I would like to hear more about your thoughts on fiscal conservatism and fudiciary responsibilities of governing bodies.

While I appreciate your position, I am a little concerned about your comments about a balanced budget. Are you aware that there was a 23% increase in inflation over the past 6 years. How about the hidden automobile tax of 3%. Ralph promised the only way taxes were going were down - so how come everything has gone up?

I ask these questions because I am looking for real accountability from gov't .... not those who like to play shell games with Cdns in an attempt to make it look like they have achieved something great.

GunPlumber @ Sat May 28, 2005 9:46 pm

First of all, let's cut the crap and be totally clear - Ralph Klien is NOT a Conservative. He is a LIBERAL. He traded is card when he knew he couldn't get in on the Liberal ticket... but all he changed was the colour of his suit.

Now that we have cleared up that little misunderstanding, it becomes clear that Ralph is just another Liberal feeding from the trough.

Did your momma smoke crack before you were born? I'm just wondering because there must be a plausible explanantion for your being born without brain functions.

GunPlumber @ Sat May 28, 2005 9:49 pm

Tman1 Tman1:
how bout this debacle:

Ralph Klein wants to be Prime Minister

Ralph Klein is on a tour of central Canada under the auspices of redefining Alberta. Albertans are perceived to be a "whole lot of cowboys, roughnecks, and rednecks" he proclaims. Why, after three consecutive governments does Ralph suddenly feel the need to dispel what one can only assume to be an embarrassing misconception about Albertans. Aren't cowboys, roughnecks, and rednecks the ones who elected him? Why the sudden sense of shame?

When Ralph Klein handed the last election to the Liberals by threatening to privatize its health care system many accused him of sabotaging the election for the Conservative Party. This is absolutely true. If Stephen Harper had won the election his youthfulness would allow him maintain control over the Conservative Party indefinitely. Klein surmised that an electoral defeat would mark the end of Stephen Harper and would leave a void for him to fill. That didn't happen - which explains the current tour.

The up and coming policy convention will mark the last chance prior to the next election for Stephen Harper's leadership to be challenged. It will be challenged. The red tories would like nothing better than to have Mr. Klein as their leader and not without reason. Mr. Klein has been spending Alberta tax dollars at a rate that would make a Liberal red tory blush. Four weeks prior to the convention Ralph will leak his desire to lead the party and the policy convention will morph into a leadership convention.

http://conservativelife.com/blog/index. ... ister.html

Did your momma smoke crack before you were born and drop you on your head repeatedly afterwards. I'm just wondering because there has to be,.... Ahhh never mind!

Tman1 @ Sat May 28, 2005 9:49 pm

*sits back, takes out popcorn before the main event. Edmonton against Calgary*

While I thought the same thing you did, I found that website, I dont know if thats credible or not it put me in a little doubt. But, on with the show.

Diffident_Albertan @ Sat May 28, 2005 9:56 pm

GunPlumber GunPlumber:
First of all, let's cut the crap and be totally clear - Ralph Klien is NOT a Conservative. He is a LIBERAL. He traded is card when he knew he couldn't get in on the Liberal ticket... but all he changed was the colour of his suit.

Now that we have cleared up that little misunderstanding, it becomes clear that Ralph is just another Liberal feeding from the trough.

Did your momma smoke crack before you were born? I'm just wondering because there must be a plausible explanantion for your being born without brain functions.

You know, it's hard to debate salient points when you get idiotic responses like yours. But go ahead and vote Liberal again next election - his name is Jim Dinning.

Patrick_Ross @ Sun May 29, 2005 2:14 pm

So if a politician steals money and gives it to his friends, that is ever so much worse than slipping in side deals through the back door to give the money to his friends.

If there was any evidence that anything of the sort was actually happening in Alberta, I'd be willing to grant you a credibility point on this (which would bring your grand total to -597)

In my books, wasted tax money is wasted tax money. But I gather if you waste the tax money away within the rules of the game, that's okie dokie with you, eh? King Ralph rules all! Woo!

Is it alright? No. Is it better than theft? Absolutely. If you can't figure that out for yourself, I'd be worried for you.

Maybe the difference is that the Liberals couldn't have done this through legal means because if they did it out in the open, people would have their heads. But the Tories don't have to worry about wasting taxpayer money out in the open because Albertans don't care about their provincial government blowing their money.

If it wasn't obvious before that you're an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about, it sure is now.

GunPlumber @ Mon May 30, 2005 2:20 pm

You know, it's hard to debate salient points when you get idiotic responses like yours. But go ahead and vote Liberal again next election - his name is Jim Dinning.

The Gage Canadian Dictionary defines salient as "standing-out, prominent, striking", and your posts certainly qualify on those points. If you say things to bring notice to yourself, congratulations, you've succeeded. That the case you present is lacking in logic and thoughfullness seems not to be a result of flawed assertions but rather, it is the reason and the means by which you seek to draw attention to yourself. You argue not for the sake of presenting a plausible scenario, but rather, solely for the sake of arguing. Thus, you've convinced yourself that the lack of a convincing or intelligent position is the necessary prerequisite for joining the debate.

Tman1 @ Mon May 30, 2005 2:33 pm

GunPlumber GunPlumber:

The Gage Canadian Dictionary defines salient as "standing-out, prominent, striking", and your posts certainly qualify on those points. If you say things to bring notice to yourself, congratulations, you've succeeded. That the case you present is lacking in logic and thoughfullness seems not to be a result of flawed assertions but rather, it is the reason and the means by which you seek to draw attention to yourself. You argue not for the sake of presenting a plausible scenario, but rather, solely for the sake of arguing. Thus, you've convinced yourself that the lack of a convincing or intelligent position is the necessary prerequisite for joining the debate.

Ok GunPlumber now that you have looked up the word "salient" in the dictionary and now know the distinction of debating and arguing, lets hear some salient points and worthwhile arguments from you in order to proceed with a debate..:roll:

$1:
Did your momma smoke crack before you were born and drop you on your head repeatedly afterwards. I'm just wondering because there has to be,.... Ahhh never mind!

You have used this line twice now, no need to share your family experiences, just debate please.

BartSimpson @ Mon May 30, 2005 2:36 pm

Tman1 Tman1:
I think Alberta did. They paid off their debt and is the only debt free province in Canada, can the same be said for Ontario? What misspending? Refer to my first point. The reason why Albertans dont like (and in my opinion stupid) all extends back to the Trudeau years and the NEP and Western ignoration. I think its time to let that go and get with the program. As well, I think things on a provincial level is less serious than on a national level. I agree that voting for the same person who they dont even like is more or less like Ontario, Tony Blair etc etc. But really, when you look at the success of Alberta today, your hard pressed to criticize them and telling them to clean up their own yard. Although, is it actually Ralph Kleins doing or is it the will of the Albertans who create enough success to not care exactly who they elect, the hated or the more hated.

No, no... the reason Alberta has no debt is because it's oil-rich. There isn't even a need for a provincial sales tax. But just because there isn't any debt doesn't mean there isn't government corruption, misspending and waste. Just as a defecit isn't proof of corruption, misspending and waste.

As for the waste, read the article. King Ralph is giving $60,000 bonuses to friends of his government. Just slide this money over here and that money over there. It's not like the people of Alberta will care. Nope. Not one iota. King Ralph can waste away billions of tax dollars and nobody in Alberta will say boo. Just because he can afford it doesn't make it right.

In California the politicians don't call $60,000 a bribe, they call it a 'tip'.

You've got to get into seven figures down here before people start saying 'bribe' anymore.

Previous  1  2  3  Next