Canada Kicks Ass
Canada's Multiculturalism is Flawed

Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  Next

realcanuck @ Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:21 pm

just my opinion!i am entitled to it too!im sorry richard was a wimp?and a draft dodger too(conscription).feel better now there private!

EyeBrock @ Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:23 pm

Analyzer, the question was “Is Canada’s multiculturism flawed?” Well it appears, once you discount the bigot’s racist opinions, that it is.

Canada needs immigrants to a point, but a lot of the immigrants need us more than we need them, but that shouldn’t be a determining factor on acceptance. We have always accepted the down trodden and poor, look at the UEL’s and the Irish.

What is really at the root of the problem here is that Canadian nationalism and identity, specifically those who were born pre 1980 or who are of British/Irish/UEL stock are being disregarded and written off. They are being told their culture and history doesn’t matter. Their parents and ancestors who built this country are being ignored. Some of this is because of efforts to appease Quebec, some of it is because of numerous Quebec leaning Federal Governments dispensing with Imperial ties.

The solution is to acknowledge British and Irish Canadians as an ethnic group, equal to French Canadians and recent arrivals. Nobody wants to put new Canadians at a disadvantage and they should be encouraged to celebrate their culture. But lets not do this at the expense of what is still the largest ethnic group in Canada, those descended from the British and the Irish. All we ask is equality but all we get is disrespect. Change this and multiculturism will work.

What we need is a united and strong Canada with a vibrant culture that respects all of us, not just the recent arrivals. Multiculturism isn’t an banner to stir nationalistic passions. We need something else to tie us all together.

I don't advocate us worshipping the Queen, just give our culture some respect. The status quo can't go on.

Rosco @ Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:43 pm

Traditional British values are on the decline even in *Britain* these days so I think a return to them here would be a hard sell indeed.

Anyways, I've read that Canada has fully 1/3rd as many people said to be to full time members of hate groups as the U.S. {IIRC 10K vs 30K}, if the vaunted mosaic model working, why would that be the case?

TheAnalyzer @ Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:48 pm

Sorry if I wasn't clear,but I wasn't talking about Quebec itself; I was talking about the whole Canada.
I was talking about racism and immigration(non white)post-1970.

P.S.:People who wishes to immigrate can go(or ask to go) to any "rich" country(they have the choice). Canada is more and more in NEED of immigrants for its economy to be stable. Canadians make, in general, less than two children(sorry for the lack of precision)per families(we don't have the choice).
WE WILL BE CRYING TO RECEIVE NEW IMMIGRANTS IN 50 YEARS. THAT'S WHY POLICIES HAVE BEEN ADOPTED OR WILL BE ADOPTED TO RECEIVE MORE IMMIGRANTS THAN EVER INTO CONTEMPORARY CANADA'S HISTORY.

Canadian culture will become mixed with different aspect of all the "new" immigration.

If the question is Canada's multiculturalism is flawed, yes it is, but the real question is: Is Canada ready to have his white culturalism mixed with immigrant's one?Do they prefer to "ghettotize" the new influences and deal with them later?

And I don't want to be rude, but it is inevitable.
I hope we will be an example to the world.

EyeBrock @ Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:51 pm

Who said traditional British values? Just an acknowledgement that British-Canadians exist would be a start. The culture over here is totally different than the UK, and has been since 1759. But to disregard the contribution British-Canadians have made, as in the current state of affairs, is to disrespect millions of loyal and hardworking Canadians since the British Colonies were founded 500 years ago. History isn’t something to be picked up and discarded when bored. It’s our culture. Let’s reclaim it. Nobody needs to get hurt or worried, let’s just celebrate our heritage. What we had here wasn’t British, it was a much better version. British North America, free of the mother country. Poetic eh?

canucker @ Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:08 am

realcanuck realcanuck:
canucker canucker:
realcanuck realcanuck:
you guys shouldve put a noose around rocket richard for being a gutless french coward!

How was he gutless?
the real canadians were fighting in france during the time he scored 50 goals!all the good players were in the armed forces so i guess anyone with one arm couldve scored 50 goals!the guy couldnt fight with his hands either!he was a wimp!

I agree that he fought with his stick instead of his hands, but it's still an achievement to score 50 goals, even if goal scoring was easier back then. Of course it doesn't mean the same as it would now, but he still did alot for his country by giving us something to cheer for.... hockey.

TheAnalyzer @ Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:22 pm

That's true! It's not necessary to insult The Rocket.

Donny_Brasco @ Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:42 pm

I think you should all remember that you are all immigrants, unless of course you're a First Nations person.

And at some point in time someone in your family came to this country for a better life, more opportunity or to escape repression.

Now, you've set up and your feeling OK, but you won't let others come here to escape or search for better opportunity. You're scared of losing your precious "Canadian Identity".

Now I've been asking you so called Canadians since I started posting on this site what this Canadian identity is. I never got a clear answer, so I'm going to tell you:

Multiculturalism and the Global Village that we built right here in Canada is our identity. Its not hockey or beer or Vimmy, those make up a small part of our communal existence here together....

It's:
A First Nation's Chief's headdress,
A Ukrainian sausage,
An Irish day in March,
Our French signs in Quebec,
Our British Queen,
Our Sikh RCMP's with turbans and daggers,
A Chinese restaurant in every small town, etc...

Without multiculturalism in Canada, you have NO IDENTITY!

The culture you are trying to preserve is your own, not mine. I am a Native Canadian, my culture is my Identity, and I fit into Canada as a Native Canadian because that is part me today.

If you want to preserve you British/French/European roots without any outside influence from outside cultures I suggest you move back to your homeland. If you wish to share your culture with the rest of Canada, (with the millions of people who are sharing hundreds of other cultures) you are welcome to stay.

And for those of you moving home, you are in for a big suprise.

EyeBrock @ Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:14 pm

What’s wrong with having a “Canadian Identity”?
I respect the contribution that Native Canadians made to the building of Canada and I think First Nations have been treated poorly by both the British and the Canadians.
I do however; find it arrogant of you to think that British Canadian culture has no place in Canada. Even worse, your intolerance shows through in your “…I suggest you move back to your homeland.” Who do you think you are? Its your way or deportation? Very tolerant. Sounds like you’ve been listening to some recent First Nation leaders and their welcoming messages to the Jewish Peoples.
Canadian culture wasn’t invented when multiculturism was enacted. We had a history prior to the much vaunted cult of multicult.
We’ve been in Ontario for 250 years, NFLD for 500 years. We actually did quite a few things to bring about this nation.
I think its bordering on cultural apartheid to ignore the contribution the British and Irish had in the building of Canada. We concentrate far too much on the Québécois input in to our society. They care little for anyone outside of Quebec. The Brits and Irish have always been good immigrants. 70% of the Canadian Expeditionary Force that deployed to France in World War 1 were British born. They didn’t go to England to enlist, they joined the Canadian Army . We believe in Canada, including turbans on the RCMP. (I could never see the problem with that. Sikhs are proud warriors and deserve martial respect.)
Just stop trying to erase our contribution. Respect please, we respect you.

Donny_Brasco @ Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:32 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
I think its bordering on cultural apartheid to ignore the contribution the British and Irish had in the building of Canada.

Give me a break. From day one when you are born in Canada you are drown in crap from the British. Our money, our streets, our cities named after your British Forefathers.

Who ever heard of Louis Riel Drive or Chief Poundmaker Boulevard?

Our history books are written from a British point of view. The vicious colonialists who slaughtered Indian tribes are portrayed as heroes.

And it really offends me when these European types come and tell the rest of Canada what the Canadian Identity is.

IT IS NOT BRITISH OR EUROPEAN.

It is the mixture of all of our cultures combined, including but not solely English. It is the Chinese, the Polish, the Africans, and everyone else.

The thought that your British culture is being threatened by multiculturalism is a farce.

The Canadian identity is enhanced by multiculturalism. As I stated, if you do not like it you are free to leave.

Canada is not yours to dictate what cultures and languages can and can not be used. Don't expect me to speak English just because it’s convenient for you and you don't understand my language, and don't expect Canadians from other backgrounds to do the same because you want them to conform to you.

PS, go read my previous message again, you missed most of it.

StarvnMarvn @ Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:50 pm

Eyebrock:

I get it even if others don't. The problem is the generation x-er's don't get it and aren't taught this in school anymore. Crap.. .they can't even produce kids who can read or write, let alone teach them anything about the history of Canada or the contributions of those who brought Canada to where it is now, at least not in any meaningful way.

I wanted to take this time to thank you for the service you gave to Canada. You and all the service guys, then and now. The gen-xer's don't
understand what sacrifice is all about and let's hope they never have to find out.

Donny - you should be thankful that you have the chance to express your opinion because of guys like Eyebrock and I find your commentary rather boorish. You need a swift kick buddy.

Mustang1 @ Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:00 pm

StarvnMarvn StarvnMarvn:

I get it even if others don't. The problem is the generation x-er's don't get it and aren't taught this in school anymore. Crap.. .they can't even produce kids who can read or write, let alone teach them anything about the history of Canada or the contributions of those who brought Canada to where it is now, at least not in any meaningful way.

Really? Care to demonstrate how the current Ontario curriculum (one that includes mandatory 20th Century Canadian history and Civics) doesn’t “teach” students anything about Canada’s past? I’ll wait, while you fumble with a response.

M1

StarvnMarvn @ Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:04 pm

Mustang1 Mustang1:
StarvnMarvn StarvnMarvn:

Really? Care to demonstrate how the current Ontario curriculum (one that includes mandatory 20th Century Canadian history and Civics) doesn’t “teach” students anything about Canada’s past? I’ll wait, while you fumble with a response.

M1

I had 3 kids in school so don't tell me what they teach and what they don't. Go pick a fight somewhere else.

ManifestDestiny @ Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:57 pm

its very simple multiculturalism = racism

Beer @ Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:22 pm

Canada has only half the age that America has, and only 1/10th of the population.

If you look closely at America's history when it was at its early stages, it too passed through its own form of multiculturalism stage before going through the melting pot, that lasted up until the end of World War I.

In NYC you had Ghettos, where Irish, Italians, Portugese and Blacks would segregate themselves.

I say Multiculturism is fine, but must gravitate around Canadian culture at all times. A second generation Indian should say, i am Canadian, of Indian background, as opposed to saying i am only Indian.

Let us assimilate our Immigrants faster, by making them pass citizenship tests, offering them flags, making them view patriotic movies as well as an oath of Canadian Identity. Let them know what Canada's values are.

I say, Embrace a multiculturistic society with Canadian flags by its side.

Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  Next