Canada Kicks Ass
Canada to counter Patriot Act

Scape @ Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:00 pm

The government will revamp the wording of future federal contracts with the aim of countering U.S. powers

Telkwa @ Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:41 pm

It's empty noise designed to calm the fears of some Canadians, including me. It won't work. There is absolutely nothing the Canadian government can do to prevent the Americans from prying into information within their jurisdiction. There's actually very little they can do to prevent American cyber sleuths from prying into Canadian info on our side of the border.

QBC @ Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:44 pm

Might be empty words, but I'd like to see them say that if a US company working in Canada shares info about us they're gone, booted, love you bye bye out of Canada. They loose all their Canadian assets, contracts and outstanding money owed to them from anyone or any company in Canada. A US company risking profits?.......over government regulations......I bet not.

Rev_Blair @ Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:52 am

That would be a wonderful law, QBC. Unfortunately it will never happen as long as the right side of the Liberal Party or the Conservatives are in power.

putz @ Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:46 am

Why is the right side always seeming to be associated with the WRONG side. Just because people lean right on the political spectrum doesn't make them EVIL, BAD or WRONG!!!!!! Sorry for the rant but a few people here always seem to associate the right side with being wrong or the troublemakers or the reasons why things don't pass through the government. Like I said I'm sorry but I'm on the right side ( :twisted: to some people) and sometimes its just seems childish.

Scape @ Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:43 pm

There is nothing wrong with conservative ideals at all. Example: balanced budgets are laudable but the right does not hold a monopoly on such ideals either. Could you clarify your concern?

No contract entered into by an American company can supersede the legislation of that country. The idea of this legislation is to cut off information at the source. Canadian Privacy legislation targets personal information being exchanged between corporate entities that deal with the US. In effect, if the US declared that they will have access to any any all private information, every action will have an equal and opposite reaction. Thus we will no longer share information freely anymore and they will be operating on a need to know basis.

putz @ Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:03 pm

This I agree with:

$1:
There is nothing wrong with conservative ideals at all. Example: balanced budgets are laudable but the right does not hold a monopoly on such ideals either. Could you clarify your concern?

No contract entered into by an American company can supersede the legislation of that country. The idea of this legislation is to cut off information at the source. Canadian Privacy legislation targets personal information being exchanged between corporate entities that deal with the US. In effect, if the US declared that they will have access to any any all private information, every action will have an equal and opposite reaction. Thus we will no longer share information freely anymore and they will be operating on a need to know basis.

This I do not:
$1:
That would be a wonderful law, QBC. Unfortunately it will never happen as long as the right side of the Liberal Party or the Conservatives are in power.

Clear as mud now? :lol:

Rev_Blair @ Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:33 pm

If you look at their policies, Putz, you will find that neither the right side of Liberals or the Conservative Party are actually conservative. They are, when their policies and actions are taken into account, radicals.

One of their radical ideas is that Canada must capitulate to the wishes of the US no matter how detrimental to Canada and the world at large those wishes are.

Scape @ Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:58 pm

I see. Deep integration is a policy supported by both Liberal and Conservative parties so in effect the Rev is correct that it is a radical, not a conservative, agenda they are pursuing.

Rev_Blair @ Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:19 pm

It isn't just deep integration, although that is what is driving most of the other policies. Things like BMD, the environment, support for IMF and World Bank policies that keep developing nations hopelessly in debt, the blind acceptance of GM crops...it's a long and ugly list. It's also very radical in that these policies put the wants and needs of corporations before the wants and needs of the voters.

QBC @ Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:12 pm

The problem is, the US government is using it's companies that have operations outside the US for the purpose of espionage. Any company inside of Canada that helps the US government do this should be kicked out of Canada for spying on us.........plain and simple. This US law is nothing more than an attack on other nations sovereignty.

Rev_Blair @ Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:01 pm

Instead we hire them to do our census and look after our medical records. The behaviour seems pretty bizarre, but then look who Martin and Harper get their advice from.