Canada Kicks Ass
Crisis for Canadian conservatism

1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Individualist @ Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:41 pm

Conservatism is in a crisis. The “big shift” turned out to be an aberration, and the Laurentian elites are back in control. Oil is out, and Bombardier is in. The victory the Reform Party and its successors had won in challenging Central Canadian statism has turned out to be short-lived, and Millennials have seemingly embraced Justin Trudeau’s “post-national state” and identity politics lite expansion on his father’s multiculturalism. Quebec is the only province allowed to have its own cultural identity. The rest of us live in “Hotel Canada”. And massive deficits regardless of economic condition are back in fashion.

My own theories about an urban agenda overtaking the traditional Laurentian one turned out to be largely incorrect as well. Justin has settled into his role, and that role is as the new figurehead of what remains of the Laurentian Consensus, now more accurately labelled the Laurentian Majority View.

Trump didn’t help matters, although he is almost as far removed from American conservatism as both are from the Canadian variety.

The fundamental question that has been presented to voters in Canada, and on a smaller stage in Ontario is “How much arrogance, sleaze, economic mismanagement and authoritarianism are you willing to put up with to preserve activist/interventionist government?” The answer for a majority in both cases seems to be “quite a bit”.

And therein lies the crisis for conservatives. It turns out that the left’s long-time boast that Canada is an inherently left-leaning country might have some element of truth to it, at least in the more populous, urbanized regions. Harper and the Reform Party have become bogeymen for these regions in the same way Mike Harris has been for Toronto voters. People remember the unpleasantness of the chemotherapy, but forget the cancer of bloated, corrupt, arrogant government that had forced its usage. And these men were hard and unyielding because they were fighting institutionalized bias in the civil service, education system and media. Gentle doesn’t cut it in those circumstances, just ask Joe Clark.

And now leaders like Trudeau and Wynne are growing back the tumour. But what to do if the patient refuses treatment? The majority of Canadians have accepted the basic logic of the welfare state, and wish to preserve and enhance it rather than shrink it. They have repeatedly expressed a willingness to give up a large degree of individual freedom in exchange for a less risky life, and to feel that they are protecting the economically and socially vulnerable. That risk-averse mentality and sense of obligation to fellow citizens is a reality Canadian conservatives must work with rather than fight.

I think what Conservatives have to start offering is a better management approach to the “helping state” - one which preserves the services Canadians want, but with better and more transparent financial management and less social engineering. Leave enough flexibility in the system so that the true “rugged individualists” can prosper, but don’t let anyone fall through the cracks. The current Liberals are undisciplined, ineffectual spendthrifts milking the popularity of an affable leader. They’re not good at getting stuff done, and right now that’s their chief vulnerability.

Western Canadian populist conservatism has accomplished a great deal. It achieved a (FPTP) majority government without significant support in Quebec and shut the Laurentian elites out of power for the first time in the country’s history. But it’s hit a wall. And the empire has struck back, and having accepted that their ideologically compatible spare tire is gone, their project is now to “reform” the electoral system so as to bring about a virtual one-party state.

I am not proposing re-Laurentianizing the CPC. The days of both major parties competing over which can show greater favouritism to Quebec or generate bigger deficits are long gone, and good riddance. What we need is a conservatism that is willing to govern within constraints, the most significant being that the majority Canadians don’t want government to shrink, and will reject the otherwise good ideas of a party that tries to shrink it. Do more with less, but don’t do less.

N_Fiddledog @ Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:14 pm

There's Canadian Conservatism? [huh]

BartSimpson @ Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:58 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:

Here's all six of them:

Thanos @ Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:59 pm

An absolutely sickening waste of life.

martin14 @ Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:12 pm

Individualist Individualist:
But what to do if the patient refuses treatment?

Then the patient dies.

Canadians will get the government they deserve.
And if they vote to self terminate, at least they had a choice.

There is currently no Conservative Party in Canada.

There is Trudeau, and CPCTrudeaulite. No need to choose.

BartSimpson @ Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:15 pm

Thanos Thanos:
An absolutely sickening waste of life.

I know. I'd be drinking a beer after a successful hunt like that! [B-o]

BeaverFever @ Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:19 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:

Here's all six of them:

I didn’t know conservatives were so furry. I wonder what kind of bait those hunters used to lure them into the kill zone. My guess is a mixture of used cooking grease, raw salmon and sex education.

N_Fiddledog @ Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:27 pm

Progs can't count.

BeaverFever @ Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:31 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
Progs can't count.

Barts not a prog.

Thanos @ Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:32 pm

Five dead animals killed for the sake of shitty male ego, six fuckwits with no shame behind the carcasses.

BeaverFever @ Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:37 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Five dead animals killed for the sake of shitty male ego, six fuckwits with no shame behind the carcasses.

I agree it’s disgusting. And the fact that it didn’t add a single inch to their undoubtedly undersized dicks means they’ll soon be off to do it again.

BeaverFever @ Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:39 pm

Double

BartSimpson @ Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:42 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
I didn’t know conservatives were so furry. I wonder what kind of bait those hunters used to lure them into the kill zone. My guess is a mixture of used cooking grease, raw salmon and sex education.

Okay; that was funny! :lol:

N_Fiddledog @ Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:08 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:

Okay; that was funny! :lol:

Or it would be if 6 equaled 5.

BeaverFever @ Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:54 pm

There are actually a million and a half but the liberal fake news media is deliberately making it look like 5

1  2  3  4  5  6  Next