Canada Kicks Ass
ELECTION 2021 - Trudeau calls federal election

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 ... 30  Next

Strutz @ Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:20 pm

housewife housewife:

I don’t know about everyone else but I’m just blowing off steam!! And yes I’m in the he’s got to go but not right now group mostly because I think we should be trying to get a handle on everything not adding new problems. Imho I think it was dangerous and selfish to call an election now. And yes I would like to vote rhino or for someone here but I won’t. I also don’t want my neighbourhood in my grandson school gym to vote! Young kids don’t have the option of vaccinations let’s not expose them to more than we have to

I was just blowing off steam as well in my initial post. :lol:

My riding has gone Conservative since 2008 and likely will again this time. I'm waiting for local publication of who is running for each party and where they are at with the main issues before I decide for sure. Yes, I will vote, all nice and proper but I can't help but feel annoyed by this happening right now.

Already today I was subjected to the typical negative advertising on TV so the mud-slinging has begun and we are all paying for it.

Strutz @ Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:43 pm

$1:
Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole's platform proposal to implement a GST "holiday" for one month this December received mixed reviews Tuesday from a group representing small businesses.

The plan would temporarily suspend the 5 per cent GST collected by the federal government on sales made in retail stores. The Conservatives say this would save Canadians $1.5 billion and would be applied to their purchases at the point of sale.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conser ... -1.6143915

:lol:

...and to make up for that money we'll need to...

raydan @ Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:41 pm

Strutz Strutz:
$1:
Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole's platform proposal to implement a GST "holiday" for one month this December received mixed reviews Tuesday from a group representing small businesses.

The plan would temporarily suspend the 5 per cent GST collected by the federal government on sales made in retail stores. The Conservatives say this would save Canadians $1.5 billion and would be applied to their purchases at the point of sale.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conser ... -1.6143915

:lol:

...and to make up for that money we'll need to...

$1.5 billion / 38,113,707 (population of Canada) = $39.36 person

Low income families might like that amount but the lower your revenue, the less you'll get because you spend less.

And on top of that, there's a cost for that promise, and guess who's paying that.

herbie @ Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:02 pm

Oh lighten up, people can be anti-Israel but not anti-Semetic. Any country run by a religion can FOAD in my book. Be it Israel, Iran or Ireland. Proven recipe for trouble.
Annamie Paul's disliked because she's a miserable cow, demanding salary rather than accepting what's offered, threatening critics with lawsuits, and saying Parliament should be recalled over Afghanistan during a campaign shows her political ignorance.
Don't worry, she'll lose her riding so badly they'll toss her out.
She's a Green version of Kim Campbell's bawling fishwife outbursts.

Scape @ Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:10 pm

^^ This.

She is gonna lose so hard and she has only herself to blame. She is TRYING to scapegoat Elizabeth May but no one is falling for it.

Thanos @ Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:49 pm

Elizabeth May LOL-ing it up with some Hezbollah fans is as easy to prove with photographic evidence as it is to connect the Clintons and Trumps to Harvey Weinstein and Jeffrey Epstein. Roll in the filth with the pigs and you'll get the muck all over you. The Canadian Green party is full of terrorist supporters and apologists, just like the demented side of the British Labour party that was once well-represented by the likes of George Galloway.

And anti-Israel 100% equals anti-Semitic. The only ones dumb enough to believe otherwise are the sort who'd rapidly agree that Helen Thomas was absolutely right when the old bitch said the Jews would be perfectly safe if they'd just go back to Bavaria, Poland, the Baltics, and all the other places that treated them so well in the past. Destroying Israel, including via the cuddly & diplomatic & high-ground-sounding means the "compassionate" left would use, absolutely means trying to destroy the Jews, again.

Scape @ Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:31 am

Not a Ben and Jerry fan I take it then?

DrCaleb @ Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:15 am

Thanos Thanos:
And anti-Israel 100% equals anti-Semitic.

You know that Israel is also 17% Muslim, 2% Christian and 2% Druze too, right? And only 74% follow any religion at all? And many of the Jewish population aren't from Semeitic backgrounds. Russian Jews, Latvian Jews . . . Israel has a policy that any Jew in the world can migrate there with full citizenship.

That's the issue I have with blanket statements. It's easy to poke a pin in that balloon.

DrCaleb @ Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:34 am

$1:
The need to do better

Fear and anger are like the silent ocean currents that drive up land temperatures and trap dry air on land. If you miss these feelings, you'll mistake calm waters on the surface for the deep climate below.

The future feels uncertain and unstable, and it's hard to avoid the sense that we're all managing decline — reading the will and settling the final accounts of a golden age.

And I can't help but avoid the sense that none of our politicians is taking the future seriously. I'm not looking for some fantasy narrative of the greatness of Canada, but rather some confidence that any of these leaders understand the severity of our moment.

The emergencies aren't going to stop coming, guys. There will be another wave of the pandemic in a population already traumatized and exhausted. And we're going to get into geopolitical movements that the great powers would not have dared to contemplate if the west were stronger. (I'm looking at you, Taiwan.)

Crises are going to compound on one another. There will be no slowing down, no period of rest between catastrophes. And as each problem hits, we are losing material and moral capacity to deal with it as we stumble, punch-drunk, into whatever the next phase of history is going to be.

I don't bet against liberal democracy in the long run. But the "long run" can be very long indeed, and we're going to need our politics to be much, much better than this.

We need our politics to be much, much better than this

Sunnyways @ Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:41 am

Don’t know how I will vote, not that it matters in a crushingly Liberal riding with our antiquated FPTP system. If we had a multi-seat PR system, I’d probably go for a Lib not so keen on JT, assuming one could be found. I don’t dislike O’Toole - unlike Jason Kenney there’s nothing positively obnoxious about him. Actually, his lack of charisma is reassuring.

And let’s keep Israel out of this thread.

DrCaleb @ Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:32 am

We can't really talk about the Green party without talking about their current fiasco. :idea:

xerxes @ Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:37 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Elizabeth May LOL-ing it up with some Hezbollah fans is as easy to prove with photographic evidence as it is to connect the Clintons and Trumps to Harvey Weinstein and Jeffrey Epstein. Roll in the filth with the pigs and you'll get the muck all over you. The Canadian Green party is full of terrorist supporters and apologists, just like the demented side of the British Labour party that was once well-represented by the likes of George Galloway.

And anti-Israel 100% equals anti-Semitic. The only ones dumb enough to believe otherwise are the sort who'd rapidly agree that Helen Thomas was absolutely right when the old bitch said the Jews would be perfectly safe if they'd just go back to Bavaria, Poland, the Baltics, and all the other places that treated them so well in the past. Destroying Israel, including via the cuddly & diplomatic & high-ground-sounding means the "compassionate" left would use, absolutely means trying to destroy the Jews, again.

I’m sorry but I really have to disagree with you there.

Just because one opposes the horrific way Israel treats the Palestinians, doesn’t mean you want to reopen the death camps.

Are there anti-semites out there who use criticism of Israel as cover for their hate? Yes. Far too many. But that kind of hyperbole is partly why Israel has gotten away with repressing the Palestinians for as long as they have.

You can be disgusted with Israel’s policies with out having to bring the fact that it is a Jewish state into it

Thanos @ Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:25 pm

Pretty sure most of us, after the discovery of the graves at the residential schools, now understand a lot better why our Canadian Natives have some of the self-destructive behavioural patterns some of then exhibit and can't escape from. It's not an excuse for committing crimes but it is an explanation for certain reactions and patterns the more badly damaged individuals have throughout their lives. Generational trauma is real and undeniable.

So anyone saying that those in Israel don't have the same mental and emotional situation seeded deep in them as individuals and in their society are pretty much blowing smoke. Or engaging in some kind of judgmental "just get over it!" nonsense to make themselves feel superior. Half of the world's Jews were quite literally being exterminated around eighty years ago, during the exact same time period as the residential school atrocity was occurring in our country. So, no, they just "can't get over it", not when some of those who actually went through that event and remember it happening are still alive today. And to think that such an event isn't the major factor that colours their view of the world going forward, if not permanently for every single new generation of Israelis, is being a lot worse than merely foolish.

Whether any of you think that a Jewish state should exist, or be allowed to exist, is irrelevant. Someone else's existence doesn't require your consent and approval. The facts on the ground today, and most likely going forward for a very long time to come, are what matters. Israel isn't going anywhere and the opinions of any haters from the Western left or the right mean absolutely nothing. They believe their existence is in permanent jeopardy and there's more than enough evidence accrued over the last 1800 years to confirm the validity of that belief. They will never be safe as long as their security is controlled by someone else.

And I didn't shove Israel into this discussion either. The Green and NDP members, candidates, and MPs that are openly on the side of proudly Jew-hating Muslim terrorists, opened that door a long time ago. The Green MPs and membership, right in front of us in the last couple of months, openly tried to gank their own party leader for trying to put the brakes on the Jew-bashing they're unhesitatingly engaging in. And, yes, this should absolutely be an election issue because there's probably millions of Canadians who aren't going to tolerate cretins like that being sent to sit in our Parliament. If they don't like being held to account for what they're saying and doing then they shouldn't have made out like the right of another country to defend itself against a perpetual existential threat depends on the approval of some limousine liberals in a country as ridiculously hypocritical as Canada.

Scape @ Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:17 pm

Benjamin Netanyahu wraps himself in the flag as much as Trump does. BiBi represented the state of Israel but he was just as bad as Trump. Does being anti-Bibi in your mind the same as anti-semitic or anti-Israel?

Can't have it both ways and this has been used as a tactic to shield his administration from any and all criticism. This has bled into our politics as taking a stand on this issue at all means if you're not in lockstep with Bibi your an anti-Semite.

Thanos @ Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:45 pm

Netanyahu's gone. And around here I was consistently against him. First for backstabbing Obama as much as he could and, second, for being way to close to Trump. Netanyahu's a crook, just like Trump, and hopefully he has a reckoning with the Israeli justice system.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 ... 30  Next