Canada Kicks Ass
Experts call for an overhaul of Canada's national security

Previous  1  2  3  4  5

bootlegga @ Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:37 am

Tricks Tricks:
herbie herbie:
So what's the real threat to the ARCTIC?
Say it. Say it out loud.
Russia isn't interested in a Greater Siberia Co-Prosperity Sphere.
China can't get there without the USA and Russia letting them.
It's Exxon oil tankers wanting a shortcut from Alaska to Eastern US ports. That's the ONLY real threat.

As the north west passage melts, that passage will be at least as important (if not more so) than the panama canal. The country that controls that will control a significant amount of international trade.

A few dozen ships are already using the NW Passage each year, and this is a good primer on what is going to happen in the NW Passage:

Scape @ Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:51 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because despite its flaws, I still believe that NATO is still our best multi-lateral organization for dealing with defence-related issues right now.

It's not saying we need to disband or leave NATO but we really need to acid test our reasons for being a part of the group going forward. Other than pissing of Putin what is NATO effective at that we can do through other means? Could we perhaps get into a commonwealth defence pact that would be more focused on goals closer to home? I am sure the UK and Aussies would be interested in that. Not trying to exclude the USA but they are a superpower and we are not keeping up with the Jones there.

I would support a more regionally focused NATO but what NATO has become now I can't get behind. It's overpriced and underdelivers.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5