Canada Kicks Ass
Good review about Canadian Politics

1  2  Next

Rev_Blair @ Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:20 am

$1:
John R. Graham is an adjunct scholar at Canada’s Fraser Institute. A version of this article ran on TechCentralStation.com.

Yup, it's important to read the whole thing, including the bio line at the end. It's also important to keep in mind that Canada has begun fixing our health care system since The Barbarian Invasions was first released, including raising funding.

The truth is that the Fraser Institute has said that they want to see privatised health care in Canada...basically an American system....even though every reliable study points to the fact that will cost Canadians more per person than the system we have now. They have no interest in fixing our current system while keeping it Canadian.

Graham is pushing an ageenda that most Canadians reject outright.

xerxes @ Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:34 pm

Rev's right. If it were up to the Fraser Institute, Canada's social safety net would be sold off to the lowest bidder. When you live in BC you hear way too much of the shit they spew forth. For example: earlier they came out with a "report" saying that BC should privatize it's auto insurance system saying that private run insurance is cheaper than ICBC. To see how well such a system works, just ask any maritimer as to how much their private insurance has gone up in the past few years. Also, every the Fraser Institute comes out with a ranking of all the schools in the province. Naturally, private schools and those in the richest neighborhoods are at the top of the list thsu reinforcing their view that school vouchers are the way to go.

vic_ticious @ Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:32 pm

$1:
Yup, it's important to read the whole thing, including the bio line at the end.
I can't imagine what concerns you about the bio line other than where this guy is located. Take a look at his bio...

"Adjunct Scholar, The Fraser Institute

John R. Graham is an Adjunct Scholar and formerly a Senior Analyst and Acting Director of the Pharmaceutical Policy Research Centre at The Fraser Institute. He has worked as a management consultant and investment banker in Canada and Europe and previously served as an infantry officer in the Canadian Army in Canada, Germany, and Cyprus. He received his B.A. (Honours) in Economics and Commerce from the Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario, and his M.B.A. from the London Business School, University of London, in England.

He is the co-author of Prescription Drug Prices in Canada and the United States—Part 1: A Comparative Survey (Public Policy Sources 42) and author of Prescription Drug Prices in Canada and the United States—Part 2: Why the Difference? (Public Policy Sources 43), published by The Fraser Institute. The fourth paper in the series, The “Canadianization” of American Drug Prices and its Effect on Pharmaceutical Innovation will be published later this year."

Other than the fact this guy is published, well paid and can write, what bothers you?

The truth is that the Fraser Institute has stated not that it wants to see privatized care in this country, but that privatized care is inevitable due to the constant diddling by politicians of all stripes. And inevitable it is, perhaps not to those under 50 but ask anyone with serious ailments over that age and I'm sure you'll not get the answer the son's dear old dad gave.

When I state that it's invevitable, I should explain that for the wealthy it is already here and always has been, but there's never been a need such as the one we are experiencing today with the unlucky boomers aging not so gracefully thanks to the shit state of medicare today.

Rev_Blair @ Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:04 am

$1:
The truth is that the Fraser Institute has stated not that it wants to see privatized care in this country, but that privatized care is inevitable due to the constant diddling by politicians of all stripes. And inevitable it is, perhaps not to those under 50 but ask anyone with serious ailments over that age and I'm sure you'll not get the answer the son's dear old dad gave.

Lets ask the old folks. My father had prostate cancer. They got him right away and cured him. He's also had a mini-stroke that brought on a type of aphasia or early on-set alzheimers. His care, including speech therapy and counselling for my step-mother in dealing with him has been excellent.

My step mother had breast cancer. Again, they got her in right away, the care was excellent and she's been cancer free for three years.

My mother has had thyroid problems all of her life...it's not the kind of thing that can be cured but it is managed. She has had heart problems over the last few years. Her care has been good.

When my mother was beaten and robbed a few years ago, not only she receive excellent care, but the hospital provided evidence to the police to help convict the man and arranged counselling for her.

When my grandmother was alive she not only received medical care, but got home visits by a professional who did everything from helping her bathe to checking medication to ordering more oxygen.

My grandfather had his hip replaced a few years ago. The only reason it took a long time is because he kept putting it off for harvest and seeding and any other excuse he could come up with. Guess what? When you keep cancelling appointments, they keep putting you at the bottom of the list.

When that same grandfather's Alheimers got bad so my mother couldn;t handle him anymore (he was hallucinating and becoming violent, as well as wandering off every time she fell asleep) the doctors not only got him into a care home, but help explain the situation to my uncles who live far away and were in denial about what was happening to their father.

That's in small-town Saskatchewan.

The old guy across the street died from liver a few years ago. His family still talks about how good the care he received was and wonder why they keep hearing about all these waiting lists.

My mother-in-law needed her gall bladder out and it was done.

My great aunt had cancer...she was in right away and was well-treated.

That's in Manitoba.

Now granted, Manitoba and Saskatchewan have the advantage of NDP governments, but I've heard similar stories from all over the country. We do have waiting lists and a shortage of healthcare professionals, but those are the result of massive underfunding by the federal government. If we fully institute the Romanow report our services will be more than adequate and will still be much cheaper than what is spent per capita in the US every year. We will also still have universal health care.

$1:
The truth is that the Fraser Institute has stated not that it wants to see privatized care in this country, but that privatized care is inevitable due to the constant diddling by politicians of all stripes.

The truth is that at there anniversary celebration they bragged about lowering taxes and the deficit and said that they were going to push for privatised medical care. Look it up.

Andem @ Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:06 am

From some of the stuff I've seen you post on these forums, Godz, you're probably the last person anyone would listen to regarding healthcare or anything in Canadian politics.

The Canadian healthcare system is here for everybody, it works for the people.

The American system, on the other hand, isn't working for the people but for pure profit. You think cancer research is actually fueled in the US by the hordes that are dying? The only thing they want from a cancer cure is the profit from the treatments.

Rev_Blair @ Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:02 am

$1:
Yes...EVREYBODY gets to wait for 2 years before they recieve knee surgery. The system is corrupt. Unions control evreything. Staff shortages.

Forgot to mention...the old guy across the street who died from liver cancer also had both knees replaced. The care was prompt and efficient...no long waits, no huge bill at the end.

$1:
Great. Another Toronto Late Liberal who believes evreything the leftsists feed him.

No, Godz...that would be another Canadian who feels that the institutions of this country are worth saving. You have fun down there in Bugfuck, Arkansas, little buddy. Maybe you can learn the banjo in time for the remake of Deliverance.

Rev_Blair @ Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:19 am

There is no friggin' way I want you anywhere near my province you little freak.

We are hiring nurses though. According to one I know who spent two years in the United States (Florida) the working conditions are way better up here. She also prefers the weather (no hurricanes), the pay (seems the deductions for things like health insurance take a bite and "co-pays", whatever they are, suck up a lot of money) and the people (she really hates rednecks, Godz...if she met you she'd kick your ass).

Rev_Blair @ Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:42 am

$1:
No you can't give me references becuase your stories are bullshit and you know it.

What the fuck is with you nut-bags expecting personal information all the time. Everything out your mouth is a fucking spew of violence and you want references for my family's medical care? I don't fucking think so, asshole.

$1:
Every single public hospital in Canada is hiring, they're desperate like hell. And whatever Nurses is wiped off by the amount of Nurses and Doctors flodding to the United States.

Let me see...I know six nurses here, my niece and her three best friends are nurses and I only know one that went to the US. The one that went to the US hated it and tells a much different story than the guy who is going from a sales brochure his girlfriend got. Where's the flood, dickhead?

The fact is that we quit training enough nurses and doctors because of the conservative push to cut funding to both education and medical care. Some go to the US, most stay here. Some burn out and retire early. Some get fed up with the low pay and the long hours...things dictated by the neo-conservative push to destroy health care in this country so their buddies in private industry can move in.

$1:
Hmmmmm..6 months of sub-zeero tempreture to 11 months of Warm Sunshine and one month of Hurricanes which I can simply get insurance or move to a resistant house. Your "friend" has strange weather taste.

Not really. Like most Canadians she enjoys winter sports and is smart enough to dress for the cold. The hurricanes keep getting more numerous and more violent because of global warming.

$1:
Pay? That's a first. I saw the brochures my wife was going through, the pay in Canadian hospitals are nowhere near what the US hospitals are offering (even with medical insurance and social security)

You saw brochures. This woman lived there.

$1:
LOL!!!

No joking, Godz. You would get your ass kicked by a forty-something woman and votes for the NDP and supports unions.

Rev_Blair @ Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:45 am

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

1  2  Next