Canada Kicks Ass
The Popcorn Playhouse...The Super Thread of Nonsense

Previous  1 ... 17  18  19  20  21  22  23 ... 26  Next

ShepherdsDog @ Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:50 pm

yes, cheese counts as a dairy(milk) (by) product.

Robair @ Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:51 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Would you drink unpasteurized beer? :lol:
Oh hell yes!
The best beer I've ever had was in Germany.
Not pasteurized.

[B-o]

xerxes @ Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:21 am

I read about this last year as well. I would drink some and if I ever have kids, I'd get them to drink it when they're young as well.

Yes, there's a good chance you'll get sick from unpasturized milk, but there are benefits as well. Like Shep said, most of either our parents or grandparents had some at some point and how many of them do you think have allergies or auto-immune diseases?

This is one of those things as to why there are more allergies and auto-immune diseases in the developed world as opposed to the developing world.

sandorski @ Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:27 am

When I was a kid I drank it at various times(we lived On and Off Farms at various points). If the Cows eat good Grass/Hay, stuff is very good and certainly much better than anything, other than Homo which is the only decent flavored Pasteurized Milk.

kitty @ Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:08 am

When i was in Italy, my uncle would go to the farm very early every morning and come home with various "treats". The fresh figs were awesome but the warm milk was horrible. i would take my breakfast ... warm milk with coffee, out on the balcony and feed the plants. Lumpy horrible stuff.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:56 pm

Pasteurization is essentially boiling the milk at high temps to kill off the bacteria. Unfortunately, this process also kills the beneficial bacteria as well as destroys the vitamins. Pasteurized millk also doesn't sour, it ROTS. When "raw" milk starts to go, you can tell by smell and tatse. Pasteurization prevents the souring but also prevents you from knowing when milk is going bad until it actually goes bad. You could very well be drinking milk right now that is starting to rot but you won't know it.

poquas @ Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:59 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
Pasteurization is essentially boiling the milk at high temps to kill off the bacteria.

Not even close. :roll: I drank raw milk as a kid and agree the taste is better. It was probably because it was whole milk with a higher fat content. It's not healthier and it's certainly not as safe as pasteurized milk. Do a little reading about why pasteurization was such a breakthrough in science. People died on a fairly regular basis without it.

Even the people in Chilliwack who are trying to promote it had a problem with e-coli in their product. They said it was because of the bedding they were using. I don't care what the reason is. Introduce that to young kids and we're going to have to start a whole new topic about why some kids died needlessly.

I'm not much of a fan of tuberculosis, diphtheria, salmonella, strep, listeriosis, or typhoid, etc. which is prevented.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:11 pm

Yeah of course you'd know more about it than my dairy farming brother-in law.
In the HTST process, milk is forced between metal plates or through pipes heated on the outside by hot water, and is heated to 71.7 °C (161 °F) Sounds like boiling to me, but hey, what do I and my brother-in law know? :roll: HTST milk is the kind typically purchased at grocery and convenience stores btw.
There is also growing evidence to support the claim that pasteurization isn't necessary because of issues with milk, but more to do with the industrialzation of the dairy business. It's likely that, with the burgeoning growth of large-scale, longer-distance distribution networks, the rise of chain-store supermarkets, and the resulting impetus for larger-herd dairy operations and mechanised milking, there came a corresponding inability to preserve the quality and inherent bacterial-resistance qualities of fresh milk being marketed in a localised area.

It's also been shown that many pathogens are heat resistant and able to survive pateurization, paratuberculosis being just one of them.
Oh, and just to make the point a little clearer, pasteurized milk starts to putrefy BEFORE the expiry date on it. Do you normally suggest that people eat rotting food?

And if pasteurization is such a great idea, why do they then have to add vitamins and pro-biotics to milk and milk products? These were already there before pasteurization destroyed them. The bacteria that breaks milk down(and is destroyed in the process) also break down sugars and proteins in our digestive system.
So to sum up, pasteurization has nothing to do with any inherent dangers with raw milk but was more a response to the industrialization of the dairy industry. And I'm willing to bet, also to do with longer shelf life.

poquas @ Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:20 pm

I think you foil hat is too tight.... :roll:

Water (and milk) boils at 212 degrees F (100 degrees C).

My brother in law owns a dairy farm outside of Carp Ontario. Even he wouldn't drink raw milk.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:41 pm

That's all they've ever drank on my bother-in law's farm. His kids, him, his wife, and anyone that visits. No one has gotten sick yet, but then again, his animals are WELL cared for and he's a little anal when it comes to cleanliness, which is kinda weird for a farmer :lol:
And yeah, 'scuse me for getting F and C temp scales confused. The point is, I initially said "essentially" boiling the milk. You want to play semantics that's fine. I'll rephrase it. Milk is heated to a temp that kills off bacteria. But that same temp kills off essential bacteria and vitamins as well. Believe it or not, pasteurization isn't a magic bullet that only targets bad germs. I notice you always dodge the rest of my posts though. Either that or you agree entirely that you and everyone else here drinks milk that is rotting. Ever put milk in your coffee or poured a glass and saw little white things floating around? That's the milk separating, only not in a good way where it's making cheese and butter. That separation is caused by putrifaction. Yummy [drool]

PluggyRug @ Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:44 pm

poquas poquas:
Introduce that to young kids and we're going to have to start a whole new topic about why some kids died needlessly.

I'm not much of a fan of tuberculosis, diphtheria, salmonella, strep, listeriosis, or typhoid, etc. which is prevented.

No wonder half our kids have compromised immune systems. We sterilise the naturals to the point of oblivion.

See kids we can't drink good natural products, now be nice and go eat a Happy meal.

poquas @ Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:52 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
I notice you always dodge the rest of my posts though.

The rest of your post was silly. There was no point in commenting.

Some laws are for the benefit of the general population. This one protects people. No farmer can guarantee zero pathogens in their products. One small outbreak is enough reason to ensure that they all follow the same rules.

If you as an adult wishes to consume a product which MAY be risky, go for it, but don’t you insist that everyone should be subjected to it a matter of freedom of choice. Most people don’t know what pasteurization is or why it’s done. Subjecting a child to it is on the verge of criminal, and it has NOTHING to do with profits, putrefaction or big industry. It’s because prior to 150 years ago people died on a regular basis because they didn’t know any better.

Now “we” do.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:58 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
poquas poquas:
Introduce that to young kids and we're going to have to start a whole new topic about why some kids died needlessly.

No wonder half our kids have compromised immune systems. We sterilise the naturals to the point of oblivion.

See kids we can't drink good natural products, now be nice and go eat a Happy meal.

R=UP +1 And it ain't just the milk, it's ALL of the processed shit they call food that's foisted on us. Add to that the joke of them adding these nutrients back into the food despite the fact that the "nutrients" they add are inferior in every way to the ones occurring naturally in the original pre-processed food source.
I love the latest cereal commercial where they are bragging about how their 23 grams of sugar per serving cereal is NOW good for kids because they added 2 grams of fibre. :lol:

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:03 pm

poquas poquas:
The rest of your post was silly. There was no point in commenting.

So you think it's silly that you drink rotting milk too? I'm glad we agree [B-o]

Akhenaten @ Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:46 pm

Peanut butter, because of peanut mold, is probably the most carcinogenic food you can walk out of a grocery store with. Potatoes and certain beans can ferment cynide. I don't see any reason why unpasteurized milk coulnd't be sold, but it should probably come with a warning.

Previous  1 ... 17  18  19  20  21  22  23 ... 26  Next