Canada Kicks Ass
car insurance problem

welcommen @ Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:53 pm

My car was hit one month ago. the insurance want to give me some money so the insurce company don't need to repair it. but i want the insurance company repair my car. Can i ask the insurance company repair my car? Can i ask the insurance company give me more money than they told me if insurance company doesn't repair it.

Scrappy @ Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:56 pm

Go get three quotes in "Writing" on what the repairs will cost from three different garages submit them to the "Insurance Company" and then they usually decide which one gets the job of repairing the car. Your insurance company sounds dodgy, I've never hit another vehicle but I've been hit twice and it was the person who hit me Insurance Company that I dealt with not mine.

welcommen @ Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:24 pm

thank your guys reply , I will ask dealer for my car's price.

welcommen @ Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:24 pm

can i get this price from internet?

Banff @ Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:34 pm

If it's a write off and the money they'd like to give you does not replace the car to equal value they will chase you around to go find another vehicle and I doubt you'll get the same quality or value . Instead of taking the money ask for a replacement vehicle or take the best cash offer and grin and bare the result .

Yogi @ Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:22 pm

You are not obligated to accept any $$$ offer from insurance. You have the option of requesting a vehicle-'just like the one I had'- and the insurance company is obligated to replace your vehicle with one 'equal too or exceeding'in condition If they are unable to do so, ( and really they don't try very hard) then the $$$ amount will go up appreciabley in your favor.

I have been thru this several times and have 'walked' others thru it as well. Be polite but firm!

Flattail @ Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:44 pm

Call the Insurance Bureau of Canada and explain your problem to them, they can help deal with your insurance company.

Knoss @ Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:25 pm

$1:
When I bought my car, my cousin's friend worked for a dealer, so we had "access" to the Blue Book. I'm not sure how public this info is though.

You can buy Blue Book at any book store or get it at your local library

$1:
You are not obligated to accept any $$$ offer from insurance. You have the option of requesting a vehicle-'just like the one I had'- and the insurance company is obligated to replace your vehicle with one 'equal too or exceeding'in condition If they are unable to do so, ( and really they don't try very hard) then the $$$ amount will go up appreciabley in your favor.

I have been thru this several times and have 'walked' others thru it as well. Be polite but firm!

And if you just want cash to buy a new car say "It is in everyones intrest to get this car off the road" they will be more willing to give cash and write off the vehicle. not sure about replacement, insurance won't repair your car if it's worth more to fix it then the insurance value of the car.

Istanbul @ Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:40 pm

There is a wholesale price and a retail price for the car. Make sure they do not pawn off the wholesale price on you.
I would look in the "Buy and Sell" on line and see what your car, model, make and mileage is going for?
Also give the dealer lots a try.