Canada Kicks Ass
New Camaro soon

1  2  Next

Newsbot @ Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:39 pm

<strong>Title: </strong> <a href="/link.php?id=11361" target="_blank">New Camaro soon</a> (click to view)

<strong>Category:</strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=News_Links&file=category&catid=17" target="_blank">Business</a>
<strong>Posted By: </strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=Wullu" target="_blank">Wullu</a>
<strong>Date: </strong> 2006-08-12 15:32:30

Wullu @ Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:39 pm

And I like the look. Very aggressive!

RUEZ @ Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:30 pm

I guess we know why the big three are in the shitter and the Japanese are taking over.

Mustang1 @ Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:58 pm

Ok…love the styling, but here’s where I think that D/C and GM will mess up: price. The “Pony Car”/Sporty Coupe (they’re technically not sports cars) is a finicky market. The Mustang sells well because it has great styling (which is rather subjective) and a great price point – it’s affordable as a first car and can comes in a GT/Cobra/whatever version if you desire upper end performance. Translation: good sales last year.

Enter D/C and GM. How will they price them? I’ll wager that the Camaro comes in at far too high a price (but, like many cars in this segment, it might have good initial sales, but like the recent Thunderbird, that can still mean long-term problems) and ends up like its last incarnation; too expensive and dead soon after. GM needs to make a low to mid $20-25,000 entry level Camaro (put the 3.8 V6 in it and de-content the rest) that competes directly with the Mustang target market. If it doesn’t, then you’ll have another overpriced pony car with no buyers.

Wullu @ Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:19 pm

I completely agree with you there M1. If GM does not match the Mustang for a price point it will just be another novelity car like the Nissan Z, Audi TT and Mazda RX-8. Sweet looking rides that have very little market.

Guess you don't like the new Camaro Ruez? Granting Chrsyler ruined the Charger, the Challenger is a bit better.

Wullu @ Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:47 pm

Sounds like good news there WD.

Mustang1 @ Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:49 pm

WDHIII WDHIII:
Wullu Wullu:
I completely agree with you there M1. If GM does not match the Mustang for a price point it will just be another novelity car like the Nissan Z, Audi TT and Mazda RX-8. Sweet looking rides that have very little market.

Guess you don't like the new Camaro Ruez? Granting Chrsyler ruined the Charger, the Challenger is a bit better.

Ya know the only thing I have to say about the Charger is that if ya gotta have a family sedan........ in regards to its namesake yes youre right - DEFINATLEY doesnt live up to that.

I DID run across this tho reguarding the price...

$1:
Bob Lutz also said the new Camaro would cost about $200 more than the rival Ford Mustang, with a base price of $19,000, but will have more equipment. He sees it as a high-volume car with sales of 120,000 to 150,000 a year. Mustang output is at around 190,000 units.

If Bobby follows through, than that’s great, but I gotta’ see it on a window sticker first. :wink:

Mustang1 @ Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:53 pm

Wullu Wullu:

Yep…you can add the Thunderbird, Cougar, Celica, RSX (although I loved the Integra) RX-7 (and 8), Firebird, Prelude (its earlier models were affordable, but it was up around 30,000 at the end) to that list. Cars that had a small market, crappy final price points, and a died an inglorious death

RUEZ @ Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:56 pm

Wullu Wullu:
Oh no I love the look, just thinking about gas prices and conservation.

Wullu @ Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:10 pm

Mustang1 Mustang1:
Wullu Wullu:

Yep…you can add the Thunderbird, Cougar, Celica, RSX (although I loved the Integra) RX-7 (and 8), Firebird, Prelude (its earlier models were affordable, but it was up around 30,000 at the end) to that list. Cars that had a small market, crappy final price points, and a died an inglorious death

The reason I bought my 03 Tiburon was that it was 95% of the car the Celica was and 60% of the price.

Seems like Toyota, Mazda and the other Japanese makers are falling into some of the same traps that the big three fell into. A whole lot of generic cars that no one realy gives a damn about. When they come out with something original they price it out of any real market share. Just saw my first VW Eos the other day. Striking looking car but I am afraid to look at a price.

Wullu @ Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:11 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
Wullu Wullu:
Oh no I love the look, just thinking about gas prices and conservation.

Ahhh got ya.

Mustang1 @ Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:48 pm

Wullu Wullu:
Mustang1 Mustang1:
Wullu Wullu:

The reason I bought my 03 Tiburon was that it was 95% of the car the Celica was and 60% of the price.

Seems like Toyota, Mazda and the other Japanese makers are falling into some of the same traps that the big three fell into. A whole lot of generic cars that no one realy gives a damn about. When they come out with something original they price it out of any real market share. Just saw my first VW Eos the other day. Striking looking car but I am afraid to look at a price.

I agree about the Japanese (although Honda seems to be on track with its Civic SI and that’s in contrast to the RSX – go figure)

By the way, I wouldn’t touch a VW. They’re overpriced and unreliable. I like their styling (although the new Jetta looks like a bastardized Corolla), but to get their performance numbers up to their class leaders you always need to heap on a tonne of money and by that point, you’ve got an overpriced, equal performing car that won’t match the Japanese in reliability or resale.

By the way, how’s your Hyundai? I’ve notice in recent J.D. Power data that they’ve turned the corner in initial reliability and are challenging the Japanese. How’s your experience been?

Wullu @ Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:06 pm

Mustang1 Mustang1:
Wullu Wullu:
Mustang1 Mustang1:
Wullu Wullu:

I agree about the Japanese (although Honda seems to be on track with its Civic SI and that’s in contrast to the RSX – go figure)

By the way, I wouldn’t touch a VW. They’re overpriced and unreliable. I like their styling (although the new Jetta looks like a bastardized Corolla), but to get their performance numbers up to their class leaders you always need to heap on a tonne of money and by that point, you’ve got an overpriced, equal performing car that won’t match the Japanese in reliability or resale.

By the way, how’s your Hyundai? I’ve notice in recent J.D. Power data that they’ve turned the corner in initial reliability and are challenging the Japanese. How’s your experience been?

Love the Tiburon. Got the V6 model and any car that cost under 30k that does 220 kmh with ease is good in my books. The only corrective work they had to do was the sunroof motor. They under powered it from the factory. They realised it and the replacement was slightly higher amped to compensate. That is all the corrective maintenace from May 02 when I bought it. 17s all the way around with Michelin Pilot Sports for tires. I became VERY careful with the tires when I found out how much they cost, $380 a piece in 02 plus a very nice Clarion stereo system. Hyundai might have a rep for cheap prices but they don't scrimp on things.

About the only point I have with it is the clear coat and hell the car is 4 years old and been driven on the east coast, so a flake or two in the clear coat ain't a real show stopper.

Ripcat @ Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:08 am

There is a very good chance the Camero will be built in Oshawa Ontario.

Streaker @ Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:09 am

It looks good - I wonder if they're going to bring back the Firebird as well?

And it might even end up having an independent rear suspension. Will wonders never cease? :o

1  2  Next