Canada Kicks Ass
eRepublik - The New World.

1  2  Next

DavidJJ @ Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:44 pm

Hi everyone, I know I'm new here, but when I saw this forum I had to post this right away :P.

eRepublik is a real world simulation game that just came out of Beta (which I was a tester of) two weeks ago. You begin as a citizen of a country of your choice (for most of you, likely Canada :P), and you can get a job, train for the military, join a political party, and eventually run for Prime Minister/Congress.

It's not a very 'fast moving' game, but I find it extremely entertaining. Once you get into the game, you really start getting addicted. I recently returned from peacekeeping in Norway with the Canadian Forces, and I'm soon going to be going to free Switzerland.

If you'd like to get an invite, feel free to post here with your email, or email me asking for one at [email protected]

-David.

p.s. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

N_Fiddledog @ Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:14 pm

You have to pay money to be more than a peon though, right?

$1:
As the game matures, it also begins to generate profit on the 750 thousand Euro investment that was previously made to support the game's development.[5] Since the release of Version One, it has been more difficult to obtain Gold (in-game currency commonly obtained by purchase with real currency but can be gotten by other means) due to tweaks in the invitation system and two Gold cost 0.5 Euros. In Version One a lot of things that were free in beta now cost Gold. Examples include attacking regions in a war and starting a resistance war. More peaceful options such as changing the description of a "newspaper" also used to cost Gold whereas it was not needed previously. The newspaper fee was repealed after much complaint.

New functionalities include a Twitter-like shoutbox system. Users have a quota of 3 shouts per day, which can be expanded by paying gold. Storage for internal messaging can also be expanded by paying this way. Another way of improving in-game modes is purchasing Gold (In-game currency) for Euros you can buy the packages in 20,40 and 80 gold respectivly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ERepublik

DavidJJ @ Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:38 pm

Not really, no. I know of very few people that actually pay for gold. Although some certainly do, most people get gold the 'slow way', by getting achievements (going to work 30 days in a row, getting 5 strength, etc.)

I personally don't pay, and I have 10 out of the 20 gold I need to make a company, and the government is going to give me a loan for the other 10.

Hopefully I've cleared things up :).

ngignac @ Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:46 pm

Wait.....there is a game like this, it is called REAL LIFE!!!!

I can understand games like World of Warcraft and such, but if you want to play a cool game like the one you named, its called life!!!! You can experience those same things you listed, but with uber graphics. You can join the peace corps, you can join a political party, you can even try running for prime minister lol

ngignac @ Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:53 pm

Ok, I take back one thing. The war aspect of it makes it interesting. My bad. I jumped to conclusions too quickly.

Essentially could become a giant game of risk with alliances here and there. Most likely thing we would never expect in real life :P

DavidJJ @ Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:35 pm

Well, allow me to elaborate a bit. eRepublik gives people a chance to do things they are not able to do in real life, whether due to their age, financial situation, or where they live. You can be French, and live in Canada, or Canadian and live in the Netherlands.

Yes, these things *can* be done in real life, but I highly doubt that, say, a fifteen year old would be able to become prime minister of a country? Also, there are alliances in the game. The two major ones are ATLANTIS (which Canada is a part of) and PEACE (which is primarily middle eastern and South American countries).

War is a very interesting part of the game, and I believe it takes more of an understanding of strategy than doing it in a game where you actually see the characters.

I have played World of Warcraft, and I can guarantee that this is NOTHING like it. The people here are much more intelligent. Also, you cannot make gains simply by 'no lifing' twenty hours a day. It actually takes skill.

If either of you would like an invitation, feel free to post your email here or message me with it.

commanderkai @ Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:47 pm

I tried it out, and it didn't catch my interest at all. The game is too slow for it's own good.

DavidJJ @ Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:30 pm

How long ago did you try it? Was it recently, or still in Beta?

commanderkai @ Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:33 pm

DavidJJ DavidJJ:
How long ago did you try it? Was it recently, or still in Beta?

Recently, like, less than a month ago. My character should be dead by now. Honestly, too many games that make it difficult for players to actually succeed, and force them to piss away real cash to make it ahead just annoys me. I'd rather buy a new game.

DavidJJ @ Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:30 am

Two things. First one is, that was in Beta and the new version is out now which is quite different.

Second, I have gotten by VERY well without ever spending a dime, and I honestly don't know anyone that does (although I'm sure there are people).

The game really starts to get interesting once you start getting involved on the forums, and also joining the various groups (political parties, military, etc.)

If you'd like to give it another try, send me a message ;P.

commanderkai @ Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:00 pm

DavidJJ DavidJJ:
Two things. First one is, that was in Beta and the new version is out now which is quite different.

Second, I have gotten by VERY well without ever spending a dime, and I honestly don't know anyone that does (although I'm sure there are people).

The game really starts to get interesting once you start getting involved on the forums, and also joining the various groups (political parties, military, etc.)

If you'd like to give it another try, send me a message ;P.

It wasn't Beta, I read the site about people wishing it WAS back like Beta.

ngignac @ Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:03 pm

I may seem like a hypocrite because of my first post, but I am now interested in joining :p

Question though, how much time do you put in a day? I read that you usually only need to spend 20 or so minutes a day on the game. Is that true? Which is perfect for me. I don't want something that takes up too much of my time.

No joke, if this game were live action, it would become the most popular game ever. Essentially the same type of game: You work to make your country stronger, can try and overthrow the government, form democracies, work, train, run for office etc.

But when you wage war on another country, you are actually controlling a guy. That game would be insane. I can see it now :P

DavidJJ @ Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:07 pm

Commander, yes people do want it to go back to how it was in Beta, but the bugs have been fixed now, and most people are growing accustomed.

Ngignac, yeah, sometimes I wish it was 3d (or even 2d) too, but I've really gotten used to playing it this way =P.

As for time, I usually put about half an hour of game time in, and about 2-3 hours of IRC/Forum time in daily. But you could certainly get by on even twenty minutes of game time if you wanted to.

It's all up to you. If you want to be a major politician you need to be on several hours a day. If you just want to have a job and train, 20 minutes. If you want to fight in wars, about 30 minutes.

canadian1971 @ Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:17 am

This seems cool.

Choban @ Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:16 pm

I can't help but feel that if people in general put as much effort into living than they did into entertainment then we would all live in a better world.

1  2  Next