Canada Kicks Ass
Added a 2nd CPU to my gaming computer last night

1  2  Next

BartSimpson @ Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:13 am

I also upgraded my RAM from 24GB of 1066Mhz to 24GB of 1600Mhz. The net result is that BF3 is loading in about half the time it used to. Frame rate in-game is also improved noticeably.

DrCaleb @ Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:35 am

Nice!

I've been considering upgrading too. I've had a AMD Phenom 1045t X6 running at 4.1Ghz, but lately it doesn't pass the POST on power up if it's clocked higher than 3.4Ghz. Guess the extra heat finally caught up to me. I was already running 64MB of 1600 Mhz memory.

I have always ran AMD processors, but with the benchamrks of the latest processors, I'm considering going to the Darkside of Intel for my gaming needs.

sandorski @ Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:59 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Nice!

I've been considering upgrading too. I've had a AMD Phenom 1045t X6 running at 4.1Ghz, but lately it doesn't pass the POST on power up if it's clocked higher than 3.4Ghz. Guess the extra heat finally caught up to me. I was already running 64MB of 1600 Mhz memory.

I have always ran AMD processors, but with the benchamrks of the latest processors, I'm considering going to the Darkside of Intel for my gaming needs.

Hehe, this can't be right. You could pick up an AM3+ Motherboard, if you need to $ave.

That said, ya, Intel is the fastest you can get. Personally I'm sticking to AMD, but I can't recommend them.

DrCaleb @ Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:19 am

sandorski sandorski:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Nice!

Hehe, this can't be right. You could pick up an AM3+ Motherboard, if you need to $ave.

That said, ya, Intel is the fastest you can get. Personally I'm sticking to AMD, but I can't recommend them.

My board is AM3+. :( ASUS Crosshair 4.

It's not about $. It's about PDT_Armataz_01_36

BartSimpson @ Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:23 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Heck yeah! [B-o]

Had my best round ever on BF3 last night. 24 kills, one death. 8)

DrCaleb @ Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:50 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Heck yeah! [B-o]

Hax! Haaaaaaaxxx!

Tricks @ Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:08 am

Props on computer name. :lol:

BartSimpson @ Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:27 am

Tricks Tricks:
Props on computer name. :lol:

Thanks! It seemed a fitting name for a gaming computer!

BartSimpson @ Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:35 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Heck yeah! [B-o]

Hax! Haaaaaaaxxx!

:lol:

Most of the time I'm happy to do 1:6!

My all time best on BF2 once was a 61 person killing streak. I was in armor on the Maashtur City map and was totally in the groove. BF3 I've been on for a year now and I'm really only now starting to get into what I'd call an intermediate skill level.

DrCaleb @ Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:58 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

My all time best on BF2 once was a 61 person killing streak. I was in armor on the Maashtur City map and was totally in the groove. BF3 I've been on for a year now and I'm really only now starting to get into what I'd call an intermediate skill level.

Yea, I'm like that. I loved BF:BC2, but just hated the BF3 beta so much I didn't drink that koolaid. Stuck with what I know, Deus Ex, Modern Warfare etc. I'm out in the sticks, and my ping to anywhere 'nice' on the internet like LA or Chicago starts at 75ms. So any FPS online has me at a severe disadvantage. Except for the wildly f-d up matchmaking system in Modern Warfare 3. I'm 110ms from Perth and Sydney on one Internet trunk, and also 110ms from Moscow and New Dheli on the other internet trunk.

So, at some times of the day, I get to be host! (no dedicated servers in MW2/MW3) so with no latency I totally rule, get called a hacker, get my ID 'reported' for hacking etc. But while they are so far down that leaderboard, they might as well give me a foot rub.

No one really knows how the 'host' is determined in Modern Warfare, but it's got to be a combination of processor and bandwidth. I want the new rig so that I get chosen to be 'host' more often. So I don't go 10 - 32 in matches and get told to roll over and bite the pillow too often. ;) I know I'm too old to compete with the reactions of 16 year olds, so I run 3 monitors and the lowest latency rig I can, so I at least have that advantage.

BartSimpson @ Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:14 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Yea, I'm like that. I loved BF:BC2, but just hated the BF3 beta so much I didn't drink that koolaid. Stuck with what I know, Deus Ex, Modern Warfare etc. I'm out in the sticks, and my ping to anywhere 'nice' on the internet like LA or Chicago starts at 75ms. So any FPS online has me at a severe disadvantage. Except for the wildly f-d up matchmaking system in Modern Warfare 3. I'm 110ms from Perth and Sydney on one Internet trunk, and also 110ms from Moscow and New Dheli on the other internet trunk.

So, at some times of the day, I get to be host! (no dedicated servers in MW2/MW3) so with no latency I totally rule, get called a hacker, get my ID 'reported' for hacking etc. But while they are so far down that leaderboard, they might as well give me a foot rub.

No one really knows how the 'host' is determined in Modern Warfare, but it's got to be a combination of processor and bandwidth. I want the new rig so that I get chosen to be 'host' more often. So I don't go 10 - 32 in matches and get told to roll over and bite the pillow too often. ;) I know I'm too old to compete with the reactions of 16 year olds, so I run 3 monitors and the lowest latency rig I can, so I at least have that advantage.

Bandwidth is a big deal. I had DSL at the house until last fall when I got connected to the optical pipe out in the street. It was mostly for business reasons 8) and the hook up cost close to $3k but I get full OC132 and the speed is outstanding. I'm in Sacramento and one of the BF3 servers in San Jose is just 8ms away and a couple servers in Moscow come in at 38ms. The slowest part of a traceroute for me is between my NIC and my router.

sandorski @ Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:15 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
sandorski sandorski:

Still under warranty?

DrCaleb @ Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:02 pm

sandorski sandorski:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
sandorski sandorski:

Still under warranty?

Doubtful. More than 2 years old.

jeff744 @ Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:37 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

I am usually unhappy with anything less than 1:1 but one of my buddies plays in tournaments and is actually the highest ranking ACW-R user in BF3 right now. Pisses me off that he can kick my ass every damned time.

Regina @ Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:10 pm

I've had this set up for over two years and it doesn't break a sweat running any COD game. It runs WaW with the CPU at 24% and only 40% of the RAM. ASUS Pro P6T WS mother board, Raptor hard drive and a 1GB Dark Knight video card. Went back store that built it last summer to add some RAM and another matching video card and the guys said not to bother right now if that's all I was playing. It's been a great rig housed in an Antec box!

1  2  Next