Canada Kicks Ass
What's so good about Windows 8?

1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Jonny_C @ Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:41 am

I'm seeing stuff like this all over...

windows 8.JPG
windows 8.JPG [ 75.22 KiB | Viewed 1105 times ]

Does it look like it might be worth an upgrade?

Public_Domain @ Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:50 am

I skip every second upgrade.

Skipped 95, got 98, skipped 2000, got XP, skipped Vista, got 7, skipping 8... May abandon Windows all together if I ever buckle down and learn how to Linux

dino_bobba_renno @ Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:53 am

I'll let you know in about a week. I just ordered a laptop for my daughter and it was only available with Windows 8. It should arrive early next week.

From what I know (which isn't much) it looks like its more "touch screen" friendly. No more "Start Menu", everything is kind of laid out in windows or app boxes. Again, just from what I know I think they were aiming for the touch screen/tablet crowd. I've heard positive things and negative things but there really isn't much information out there from what I've seen. Even on Microsoft’s own website there isn't much considering how dramatically they've changed it.

xerxes @ Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:14 am

I tried a beta a few months ago and it almost made me buy a Mac it was so bad. And considering all the issues I've had recently with my pc, I should have anyway.

dino_bobba_renno @ Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:19 am

xerxes xerxes:
I tried a beta a few months ago and it almost made me buy a Mac it was so bad. And considering all the issues I've had recently with my pc, I should have anyway.

Why do I get a feeling this will be another "Millennium/Vista" type update where in a couple of years they completely abandon it after it fails miserably?

BartSimpson @ Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:26 am

I've beta tested Win 8 extensively and so have a lot of people on my team. The result? We're not going to deploy it on desktops and laptops BUT we are going to deploy it on tablets where the OS seems to be a really good fit.

It is great on a tablet but the interface is clunky on a PC/Laptop.

Jonny_C @ Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:51 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
We're not going to deploy it on desktops and laptops BUT we are going to deploy it on tablets where the OS seems to be a really good fit. It is great on a tablet but the interface is clunky on a PC/Laptop.

Good info, thanks. Are we going to be faced in short order with Windows 8 loaded onto all new PC's whether we want it or not? Judging from past practice, I guess so. :cry:

I only have one observation of a thing that puts me off right away, and that's the interface I see in pictures of start screens for Windows 8. I hate it; it looks juvenile.

I wonder if there will be an option to use a "classic" desktop where you can use your own background wallpapers and set up your own icons?

Dragon-Dancer @ Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:10 am

I understood there was supposed to still be a /classic/ desktop option but I haven't seen the OS on anything yet. I hope there is, the new interface looks fine for a tablet but terrible for a desktop.

sandorski @ Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:11 am

Is that price going to be typical? I'll probably have to use it in my next system, but I don't really know when that will be.

herbie @ Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:15 am

Corporate fitness program: mount 27" touch screens high in every hamster cage & upgrade to Windows 8.
10,000- new jobs for people going up & down the aisles with towels and water bottles.

BartSimpson @ Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:31 am

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
We're not going to deploy it on desktops and laptops BUT we are going to deploy it on tablets where the OS seems to be a really good fit. It is great on a tablet but the interface is clunky on a PC/Laptop.

Good info, thanks. Are we going to be faced in short order with Windows 8 loaded onto all new PC's whether we want it or not? Judging from past practice, I guess so. :cry:

I don't think so. Dell has already said that they won't do that and I imagine HP and etc. won't be far behind.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/29090 ... -windows-7

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
I only have one observation of a thing that puts me off right away, and that's the interface I see in pictures of start screens for Windows 8. I hate it; it looks juvenile.

I agree. But on a relatively small-screen tablet where you're navigating with your finger on a touchscreen it's pretty handy.

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
I wonder if there will be an option to use a "classic" desktop where you can use your own background wallpapers and set up your own icons?

Not that I know of.

saturn_656 @ Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:20 am

Seen the Beta. Win8 is an OS designed for a tablet first, then forced on PC buyers in the name of having a "unified experience" across all platforms. Geting rid of the start menu and giving us the "metro screen" makes absoloutely no sense on a PC. Redmond strikes (out) again.

In short, Windows 8 pisses me off. I will not be buying this OS, I will recommend to others that they not buy it. We have three PC's at home, all were running Win7.

One (my laptop) is now running Ubuntu 12.10. A second (wifes laptop) may follow soon. Hello Linux!

saturn_656 @ Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:40 am

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
May abandon Windows all together if I ever buckle down and learn how to Linux

Not tough. Linux is easy street.

dino_bobba_renno @ Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:36 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Jonny_C Jonny_C:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

I don't think so. Dell has already said that they won't do that and I imagine HP and etc. won't be far behind.

Nope, I just got off the phone with Dell on Tuesday and you don't have a choice. What happened is I bought a Laptop for my daughter and we received it last week with Windows 7 on it. I noticed the case was damaged so I called on Tuesday to get it exchanged. The service rep told me that in order get the same laptop it would have to come preloaded with Windows 8 because they weren't loading Windows 7 any more. The only way I could get a system with 7 on it was to order an older model which was on sale.

*Here's the best part, the” older" laptop's that had 7 on them would have been a downgrade from the one that I was sending back. I asked the guy if I would get the difference in price refunded to me and he said "no". 8O What the F*$% !?! They were going to send me a cheaper laptop to replace the broken one they had all ready sent me and they weren't going to refund me any money. I was just blown away by that. Unreal, that will be the last computer I buy from Dell.

saturn_656 @ Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:42 pm

dino_bobba_renno dino_bobba_renno:
8O What the F*$% !?! They were going to send me a cheaper laptop to replace the broken one they had all ready sent me and they weren't going to refund me any money. I was just blown away by that. Unreal, that will be the last computer I buy from Dell.

You just got Dell'ed. Haven't bought shit from them in years. Never will again.

1  2  3  4  5  6  Next