Newsbot @ Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:05 pm

Title: Atheist United Church minister to keep her job at Toronto congregation
Category: Religion
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2018-11-10 09:17:08
Canadian

N_Fiddledog @ Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:05 pm

Figures.

The United Church and Toronto. Upside down "Progressive" wackiness that go together like peas and carrots.

Like BLM managing the gay pride parade.

BeaverFever @ Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:49 pm

File this one under “Why should anybody care?”

N_Fiddledog @ Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:16 am

Dunno Beave. Why should anybody care if you care?

BeaverFever @ Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:26 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
Dunno Beave. Why should anybody care if you care?

I don’t care, and I don’t care if anyone cares that I don’t care but I don’t think anyone cares whether anyone cares.

N_Fiddledog @ Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:27 am

Nice of you to care enough to drop in and tell us then, Beaver McFever. R=UP

BeaverFever @ Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:23 am

Do you care?

N_Fiddledog @ Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:59 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Do you care?

Yes. I was brought up United. Then the Prog->Comms took control of the church. It isn't a church anymore. I'm adrift.

Most Christian and European Christian sects seem to be suffering the same fate at different levels. I'm thinking I might become a Baptist so I have a place to go. From the outside looking in religion still seems to be the priority among the Baptists.

fifeboy @ Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:22 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Do you care?

Yes. I was brought up United. Then the Prog->Comms took control of the church. It isn't a church anymore. I'm adrift.

Most Christian and European Christian sects seem to be suffering the same fate at different levels. I'm thinking I might become a Baptist so I have a place to go. From the outside looking in religion still seems to be the priority among the Baptists.

Well dock that rowboat doggie, home is here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Identity

ccga3359 @ Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:29 am

I'm an atheist 100%. What on God's green ear... What the he... WTF. How can someone, much the same as me, preach about how people should live based on a book they feel is nothing more than fairy tales, myths and lies? I think the church has every right to turf this person from the job, she has no credibility. She is a mockery to those of faith and this smacks in the face of freedom of religion.

N_Fiddledog @ Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:19 am

Careful you two. Beave's going to put you on his list of people who care. Then you'll be sorry, boy oh boy. There may be next level pouting.

But let me be clear about what I'm talking about. It's God being pushed out of religion to be replaced by 'Progressive,' social Justice, politics. I don't like that.

But sure...

Gimme some ol' time religion. Image

BeaverFever @ Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:17 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
Careful you two. Beave's going to put you on his list of people who care. Then you'll be sorry, boy oh boy. There may be next level pouting.

But let me be clear about what I'm talking about. It's God being pushed out of religion to be replaced by 'Progressive,' social Justice, politics. I don't like that.

But sure...

Gimme some ol' time religion. Image

Superstition, fairy tales and magical thinking are increasingly endangered in enlightened educated societies. It’s just a fact of life.

BeaverFever @ Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:21 pm

ccga3359 ccga3359:
I'm an atheist 100%. What on God's green ear... What the he... WTF. How can someone, much the same as me, preach about how people should live based on a book they feel is nothing more than fairy tales, myths and lies? I think the church has every right to turf this person from the job, she has no credibility. She is a mockery to those of faith and this smacks in the face of freedom of religion.

I don’t see where she called it lies. I don’t think she’s hostile to religion she just believes it’s allegory and not literal. And her congregation apparently supports her. Now whether that means she should be turfed or not I don’t really care seems like it’s not anything anyone needs to worry about unless they’re part of that church.

ccga3359 @ Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:46 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
ccga3359 ccga3359:

I don’t see where she called it lies. I don’t think she’s hostile to religion she just believes it’s allegory and not literal. And her congregation apparently supports her. Now whether that means she should be turfed or not I don’t really care seems like it’s not anything anyone needs to worry about unless they’re part of that church.

Agreed she hasn't said the bible is a pack of lies, at least not that I'm aware of, but as an atheist surely she, like you and I feel the bible is filled with non-truths. Obviously she is not hostile toward the church, I most certainly am not either. But it's as if she is merely an employee, if she were then I would back her 100%. She is a reverend, one that preaches the word of God to the congregation (presumably). This is an attack on religion, pure and simple. I have no tolerance for religious doctrine in my daily life either politically or in our laws but I do object to the obverse of that in the political correctness foisted on the church. I do not know about you but I see it as akin to a creationist teaching my child "science" in our non-religious public school system.

N_Fiddledog @ Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:49 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
I don’t see where she called it lies. I don’t think she’s hostile to religion she just believes it’s allegory and not literal.

So you do care then. You care about her opinion. You just don't care about anybody whose opinion might disagree with yours.

Well that's nothing new Beave. I'm not sure why you keep feeling the need to drop in and remind us though.

As to her hostility to the church. Yeah, I guess she's prepared to tolerate it as long as it's prepared to change for her into something that's not actually a church. Good for her, I guess. Not so good for those of us who had a church once.

I kind of want my money back.

1  2  3  Next