1  2  3  Next

Newsbot @ Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:01 am

Title: Cops shoot mentally challenged man
Category: Law & Order
Posted By: WDHIII
Date: 2009-06-23 07:52:48
Canadian

Robair @ Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:01 am

WTF? Obviously a little more to this story...?

Brenda @ Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:10 am

[sarcasm] nahhhhhh, they usually just shoot (mentally challenged) people for fun [/sarcasm]

SIU? Before or after he was shot?

poquas @ Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:26 am

Robair Robair:

Other than that they shot him, there's NOTHING else. It would be nice that when they report this kind of thing, they have some detail or context to the story. :roll:

Regina @ Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:28 am

poquas poquas:
Robair Robair:

Other than that they shot him, there's NOTHING else. It would be nice that when they report this kind of thing, they have some detail or context to the story. :roll:

Unfortunately that doesn't sells papers.

kenmore @ Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:18 pm

Sorry Brenda, but this happens a little too often.
The Canadian Mental Health Association and the Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse's Assoc. have be advocating to have Police trained in dealing with these clients and they just don't bother. Its a case of shoot and ask questions later or kick the living crap out of them and drop them off at an emerg dept. Pisses me off!

Choban @ Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:29 pm

kenmore kenmore:
The Canadian Mental Health Association and the Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse's Assoc. have be advocating to have Police trained in dealing with these clients and they just don't bother. Its a case of shoot and ask questions later or kick the living crap out of them and drop them off at an emerg dept. Pisses me off!

Agreed Kenmore, My family has had numerous issues with the police and my brother in law, the police have no tact or desire to treat him other than as a criminal. Emergency departments are almost as bad, the see a 20 something out of control and assume its drink or drugs (despite my wife being there and clearly stating that he's an out patient)

poquas @ Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:35 pm

kenmore kenmore:

Pure and utter Bullshit!

I'm one of those people that HAS TRAINED those police officers how to handle a mentally incapacitated individual in three different provinces.
Maybe you should spend a little time in the field with the cops you seem to hate so much. Pulling out a gun is an absolute last resort.

Your attitude really pisses ME off.

martin14 @ Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:38 pm

poquas poquas:
kenmore kenmore:

Pure and utter Bullshit!

I'm one of those people that HAS TRAINED those police officers how to handle a mentally incapacitated individual in three different provinces.
Maybe you should spend a little time in the field with the cops you seem to hate so much. Pulling out a gun is an absolute last resort.

nothing says they actually listen to you.

OnTheIce @ Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:34 pm

poquas poquas:
kenmore kenmore:

Pure and utter Bullshit!

I agree 100%.

When you're facing a suspect who appears to have a weapon on his/her hand, you don't contemplate whether or not they may be mentally retarded. You issue your orders and take action if you feel your life is in jeopardy.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but when you're life's on the line, you'd take the shot too.

Choban @ Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:58 pm

True when an officers life is on the line they would take the shot.
Theres probably more to this story that we aren't hearing.

I think Kenmore had a good point (having a mental patient in the family I've seen it first hand)
Poquas had a good point too, training is key to dealing with these situations and for every one that turns out bad another one turns out good due to training.
Martin again with a good point, just because your trained doesn't mean you'll use it properly, cops are people too and make mistakes or have bad judgement.

Gotta wonder what this guy was holding in his hands that they thought was a weapon. Of course they coulve tazed him, but that's a different issue now isn't it

poquas @ Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:23 pm

There's a definite group around here that seriously believe cops can do no good.

The truth is the vast majority are good conscientious people that really do their best. There’s a small group that treat it like a job and would be just as happy doing something else, and a tiny minority that really shouldn’t be cops at all......ever.

In any case, it’s a real tough job that most people simply can’t do. Even with the psych evaluations prior to acceptance a great many of what would be future failures are screened out.

Unfortunately, lately, the media is gung-ho to amplify any example of bad behaviour whenever possible.

Bodah @ Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:39 pm

I always find it ironic, the people that are the most critical of police actions. Are usually people that wouldn't last a week out on the street as a cop.

poquas @ Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:53 pm

Bodah Bodah:
Are usually people that wouldn't last a week out on the street as a cop.

The less suitable the person, the more vociferous the bitching.

ASLplease @ Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:52 pm

Even most retards understand that if you threaten the life of a police officer you might get shot.

1  2  3  Next