Canada Kicks Ass
U.S. official swats Canada's claim on Northwest Passage

1  2  3  4  Next

Newsbot @ Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:01 pm

<strong>Title: </strong> <a href="/link.php?id=19134" target="_blank">U.S. official swats Canada's claim on Northwest Passage</a> (click to view)

<strong>Category:</strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=News_Links&file=category&catid=16" target="_blank">Misc World</a>
<strong>Posted By: </strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=Hyack" target="_blank">Hyack</a>
<strong>Date: </strong> 2007-02-15 10:48:29
<strong>Canadian</strong>

kal @ Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:01 pm

yea, and we all know what the US does when the UN doesn't rule in it's favour.

BartSimpson @ Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:13 pm

$1:
"The Law of the Sea does not support some of these excessive claims to the passage,"

Precisely. Canada is a signatory to this treaty and can resolve the issue by withdrawing from or modifying the treaty.

As it stands Canada has no claim to the passage under a treaty that Canada has already signed and ratified into Canadian law.

If it goes before the World Court then Canada will lose.

Now, getting past the legal niceties, Canada has no presence in the region to assert the claim.

Build some bases, send some ships up there on regular patrol and the practical issue of Canadian possesion would be addressed.

Bear in mind that I am on Canada's side here - I'm just spelling stuff out.

RUEZ @ Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:15 pm

Point is we'll do what we like with the Arctic and no one is going to do anything about it.

ridenrain @ Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:18 pm

You can't claim what you can't defend. Canada has known but ignored this problem for decades so it's no wonder it's finally bit us in the ass.

Clogeroo @ Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:25 pm

Why can't we just lay some mines so ships cannot enter? Or build an island to stretch out our territorial waters to block the passage?

ridenrain @ Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:27 pm

Mines would definately be illegal under international law. I don't know if floating drilling rigs would push the envelope but we'd still have to have ships out there anyways.

Clogeroo @ Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:34 pm

$1:

Mines would definately be illegal under international law. I don't know if floating drilling rigs would push the envelope but we'd still have to have ships out there anyways.

Really mines are banned now? Who came up with all these stupid laws. Maybe we can just build some nuclear weapons and threaten to sell them to Iran unless the world recognises the northwest passage is ours?

Mr_Canada old @ Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:58 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
Point is we'll do what we like with the Arctic and no one is going to do anything about it.
A-bloody-greed.

Sorry America, seems we disagree again.

Do I hear Ann Coulter and Tucker Carlson?

I wonder how Anti-Canadian they will get over our decisions this time.

10 bucks says Ann Coulter's adam's apple explodes in anger.

Mr_Canada old @ Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:00 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
$1:

Really mines are banned now? Who came up with all these stupid laws. Maybe we can just build some nuclear weapons and threaten to sell them to Iran unless the world recognises the northwest passage is ours?
Personally, I don't think banning mines was a bad idea. :|

The Ottawa Treaty is what it's called, isn't it? America and all the "Evil" nations didn't sign it, because they love war and feel banning mines would make them weaker.

BartSimpson @ Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:18 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
Why can't we just lay some mines so ships cannot enter? Or build an island to stretch out our territorial waters to block the passage?

Mines would be an act of war but I suggested the latter idea as that would satisfy the treaty and the practical matter of possession - if you're up there building an island then you're up there and present to interdict shipping in the passage.

The real issue is that there is no Canadian presence there so the argument that someone is violating a territory that you folks are ignoring is a little difficult to argue.

Heck, the French make a point of visiting Clipperton Island once a year to show the flag and reinforce their claim there.

When was the last time Canada showed the flag in that passage?

tritium @ Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:24 pm

Let's face it, the only reason the USA or anyone is bringing this up is OIL.

Bart's right, we need to build bases and defend the area.

Canada should approve the US missile defence program, let the USA pay for the bases and man them with Canadians. win/win

BartSimpson @ Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:26 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:

That's ironically the same thing the US Navy has said several times now. They really enjoyed the letters of protest that were sent to them from the Canadian Government.

:wink:

If the US nuclear submarines that transit the passwage were met by something more threatening than the Danish Navy that's also up there visting Hans Island I suppose your words would be more than words.

You say you'll do what you want with the Arctic and right now, my friend, that is nothing.

I've said it repeatedly that if Canada does not establish a 24/7/365 presence in that soon-to-be strategic region then you'll lose it.

Maybe to us, maybe to China, maybe to Denmark, maybe to the EU.

You're doing nothing with the region and also doing nothing to assert your sovereignty in the region.

So do something.

Mr_Canada old @ Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:28 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
When was the last time Canada showed the flag in that passage?
I'll do that myself if you buy the boat and the gas for it. :lol:

tritium @ Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:30 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
RUEZ RUEZ:

That's ironically the same thing the US Navy has said several times now. They really enjoyed the letters of protest that were sent to them from the Canadian Government.

:wink:

If the US nuclear submarines that transit the passwage were met by something more threatening than the Danish Navy that's also up there visting Hans Island I suppose your words would be more than words.

You say you'll do what you want with the Arctic and right now, my friend, that is nothing.

I've said it repeatedly that if Canada does not establish a 24/7/365 presence in that soon-to-be strategic region then you'll lose it.

Maybe to us, maybe to China, maybe to Denmark, maybe to the EU.

You're doing nothing with the region and also doing nothing to assert your sovereignty in the region.

So do something.

R=UP

1  2  3  4  Next