1  2  3  4  5  Next

Newsbot @ Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:34 am

Title: Why is it ok to hate Americans?
Category: lifestyle
Posted By: EyeBrock
Date: 2009-07-19 05:43:36
Canadian

Alta_redneck @ Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:34 am

Why does the ROC always gets included in these stories when it�s S.ON that has the problem? :roll:

martin14 @ Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:47 am

cause people are stupid.

very, very stupid.

GreenTiger @ Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:50 am

Well all I can say is a visit Canada a lot and I like to visit Canada during the opposite of the tourist season for a reason you can get to know people one on one.

While I have no idea what it would like to immigrate to Canada, although the thought has occurred to me more than once.

I can honestly say that I have in not way experienced anything like this in discrimination. I have found people wondering why I was visiting Canada in the winter,a little amusement with slang expression. Some disgust when I can't read/speak French in Quebec, but that is about it. I always tried to act as Canadian as possible, which seemed to me to be a bit more polite and considerate of other people.

I found a lot of Canadians explain the slang, explain cultural differences and go far far out of their way to make me feel welcome.

I don't know going on with Brian, but his experience is far different from mine, so I will refrain from an animal dung comment. If he wanted to prove a superior American way of doing things that would not be popular.

I did find this kind of behavior in certain places in the US. There are many places in the states that if you're not one of then you are definately horse worthy of any kind of contempt they can think of.
I think times have changed down there there though.

My point of all of this in my experience as related to Canada is that if you try to fit in people where ever they are people tend to want to be good and not indulge in this behavior.

Terence @ Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:55 am

Alta_redneck Alta_redneck:
Why does the ROC always gets included in these stories when it�s S.ON that has the problem? :roll:

David Orchard

Elizabeth May

Mel Hurtig

I could go on and on and on.

Without getting within a 10 hours drive of Southern Ontario

Oddly enough, Quebec seems seems to be the least anti-American people I have seen. Hell, the separatists in the mid 1990s talked about using the US Dollar.

Do you people ever listen to CBC talk shows? Talking smack isn't limited to southern ontario trash.

Bodah @ Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:10 am

The reason behind it is often a mix of inferiority comlex and jealousy. Perputuated by the media. I have to confrot it all the time at work, bunch of dumbasses. These are people that proudly state it like its some sort of badge of honour , then will add at some point that they enjoy their vacations in Florida though. I wonder how they can enjoy it surrounded by all those Americans. lol

FieryVulpine @ Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:16 am

Would anyone give me a death glare if I said that I generally like Americans more than I do most of my fellow Canadians? Anti-Americanism has been ingrained in our national psyche for lord hows how long, remember how anti-American for first Prime Minister "Johnny A" was? In any case, I really don't know where we get our self-styled sense of superiority from. Maybe Fulford is right and it comes from envy over their successes as a nation.

EDIT:

Bodah Bodah:
The reason behind it is often a mix of inferiority comlex and jealousy. Perputuated by the media. I have to confrot it all the time at work, bunch of dumbasses. These are people that proudly state it like its some sort of badge of honour , then will add at some point that they enjoy their vacations in Florida though. I wonder how they can enjoy it surrounded by all those Americans. lol

Ha! Beat me to it. 8)

Bodah @ Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:20 am

FieryVulpine FieryVulpine:
Would anyone give me a death glare if I said that I generally like Americans more than I do most of my fellow Canadians?

I've been neg rep on this site just for stating that I like some American members here more than some Canadians. No death glare here, just neg rep points and maybe an nomination for anti-canuck medal. lol

EyeBrock @ Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:25 am

Yep, its a dark secret to like yanks and the US if you are Canadian.

Terence @ Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:28 am

FieryVulpine FieryVulpine:
remember how anti-American for first Prime Minister "Johnny A" was?

140 years ago, Americans were still writing about the threat from English North America, you had the Fenian Raids happening on our side. The politicians for the most part were of the generation with contemporaries that remembered the War of 1812 as young men or children.

EyeBrock @ Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:33 am

And?

That's a reason to hate yanks? The United Empire Loyalists that settled most of English speaking Canada pre confederation were Americans. Many settlers in BC and Alberta were Americans.

Terence @ Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:38 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
And?

That's a reason to hate yanks? The United Empire Loyalists that settled most of English speaking Canada pre confederation were Americans. Many settlers in BC and Alberta were Americans.

Do you not remember the US WWII veterans in the 1990s smashing Honda's and Toyotas on the news for days across the country, when Bush the Elder visited Japan and met with Hirohito? I do.

Exactly the same. People of the generation that fought may get angry, even when they are grey haired old men. It is their right.

EyeBrock @ Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:40 am

And your point is? Do try and make one.

Terence @ Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:50 am

The point is that Sir John A was a product of his times. Fear by both Americans and Canadians of future conflict was part of the political reality, there was tension over the move into Western Canada.

EyeBrock @ Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:51 am

And Mac was around for 40 years of our past 400. Do go on.

1  2  3  4  5  Next