Canada Kicks Ass
Why 99% Of Movies Today Are Garbage

Scape @ Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:34 am

DrCaleb @ Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:18 am

I don't know if he touched on it, but many streaming services put out garbage because people will still watch it because there is nothing else on.

That's how we get such classics as 'Space Sweepers'. Which I will never watch.

llama66 @ Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:28 am

Don't you DARE talk about Space Sweepers like that, it was a gem of a movie. The acting was sublime, the story was original, the special effects were amazing and everything else about the movie was great. please send help, Netflix kidnapped my cat and forced me to write that

N_Fiddledog @ Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:38 pm

Nuff said?

Tricks @ Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:15 am

I disagree with his premise that pieces of entertainment can't or shouldn't contain political views. The original runs of Star Trek were hugely political. Arguably the most "fun" movies right now, comic book movies, are based on material that came from largely progressive thinkers. Some of our best pieces of "based on a true story" movies are about condemning fucked up institutions.

Having politics in movies doesn't make them bad. Hamfisting politics into movies makes them bad.

Scape @ Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:48 pm

Case in point:

We would never of had Nazis in space if we kept political bent out of the writing. Trek is a reflection of the political tides of the time, always has been.

raydan @ Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:57 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I don't know if he touched on it, but many streaming services put out garbage because people will still watch it because there is nothing else on.

That's how we get such classics as 'Space Sweepers'. Which I will never watch.

Hallmark movies... 8O

xerxes @ Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:11 pm

Scape Scape:
Case in point:

We would never of had Nazis in space if we kept political bent out of the writing. Trek is a reflection of the political tides of the time, always has been.

Not just Trek, but most of science fiction.

Public_Domain @ Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:04 am

the problem with "politics" in movies is the same problem with "politics" in business

it's not our politics, it's the politics of the rich

woke branding and its consequences have been a disaster for humanity

authentic voices occassionally break out, and those tend to be the cult success stories. until they start merchandising...