Canada Kicks Ass
Pics from away

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

ShepherdsDog @ Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:29 pm

longans is an anglicized word. It means dragon(long) eye(yen) and they tend to be smaller than lychees.. Here, Jackie Chan is known as Chan (pronounced Chun) Long.

Blue_Nose @ Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:32 pm

Hey Mario, did you see the Millau Viaduct?

Great photos, by the way!

-Mario- @ Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:54 pm

Pictures 30 to 46 were taken at the "Pont du Gare" in southern France.

I did not see the viaduc. but I got to see the nimes colosseum.

natooke @ Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:05 am

Thought I would share!
This picture was taken this summer/06 on the Island of Öland.

Sunset @ 9:15 pm facing Kalmar with Öland's bridge.

Sapper @ Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:55 pm

natooke,

Can anyone translate what's written on the rock? I assume it's written in Germanic or Nordic rune. Interesting.

OPP @ Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:10 pm

Sapper Sapper:
natooke,

Can anyone translate what's written on the rock? I assume it's written in Germanic or Nordic rune. Interesting.

I learned the rune alphabet (Futhark) in school when I was verry young. Don't remember any of it now. But those runes can be translated with ease.

natooke @ Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:30 am

natooke,

[hr][hr]

No I can't translate any or this one (Karlevi Stone around 1000) since it is done in a skaldic poem style, which was not widley practised ... it is a resting place of a (perhaps danish) leader/King from the many swedish/danish wars & part of it inscribes a curse who would tamper with the burial. That's all I know, other than the stone is granit & the Island doesn't have granit.

- It carries a unique poetic inscription and was raised over the Danish Viking ”Sibbe den Viseã. The common language was Old Norse (urnordiska) which was due to the fact that at the time neither the Danish, Swedish or Norwegian languages nor the countries of today were developed as yet.
[hr][hr]

I learned the rune alphabet (Futhark) in school when I was verry young. Don't remember any of it now. But those runes can be translated with ease.

Our oldest will be taught this in history class after the Xmas holiday :D

Sapper @ Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:52 am

Siberian pics

OPP @ Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:01 pm

Sapper Sapper:
Siberian pics

Cool pics! :lol:

-54 C! Man! I wouldn't take a piss outside any time soon if I where there.

Sapper @ Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:10 pm

It actually reached below -56 C last year. While my driver dropped me off at a store to buy food he dropped some of my staff off at home. I decided to wait outside to see how long I could last,

He came back 25 minutes later and I was just about to bail back into the store. I had on halley hansen underware and a down parka..

I'd be interseted in how our military boys withstand the extreme cold. What they use for clothing etc.,

-Mario- @ Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:21 pm

We now have Arctic CadPat

$1:
Winter/Arctic
CADPATTM (Winter/Arctic) has been introduced as an upgrade to the current monochrome winter whites to further enhance the Canadian Soldier's camouflage capability by day and night and includes Near Infra-red technology.
Link

Sapper @ Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:23 pm

Looks like good gear. I pick up a lot of my winter gear from an army surplus store. The guy who owns it has spent a lot of time in the Arctic so he know what's good. It'll probably be a while before I see CadPat there. I'll keep my eyes open though.

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:40 pm

The first is a picture of a small temple Daoist(?) down the street, the second demonstrates how orderly ferry traffic is, the third is Kaohsiung taken from the north harbour mouth. The large building is 85 stories and the second tallest on the island after the Taipei 101, currently the world's tallest. The fourth is Sun Yat Sen University. It use to be the former summer residence of Chiang Kai Shek. His limo is still on display there. I'm going to try and get some pics of the macaques mugging Taiwanese for their food.

bossdog @ Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:06 pm

My house. This is facing the Muslim side of town. RPG.

The view from my terrace. The church in the background drowns out the Call To Prayer from the East side. It's almost like a "my temple is louder than your temple" contest.

bossdog @ Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:10 pm

Monopoly, Croatian style. Dictionary required :wink: .

Who said Canada's copyright laws were lax.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next