Canada Kicks Ass
2019 Canadian Federal Election

Previous  1 ... 51  52  53  54  55

fifeboy @ Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:40 pm

Thanos Thanos:
The oil companies, for whatever reason, don't want to build more refineries anywhere in Canada. One of their newer reasons for this is probably because Trudeau's fetish for over-regulation has effectively killed any investor interest in any sort of large projects in Alberta for at least a decade.

Especially after the hundreds of billions invested during the Harper years. Harper got dozens of pipelines built in 11 years, but at that time the boogie men were the Saudis, now its Trudeau (oh, the very name sends chills of terror down my spine.)

How dare T______ (that's better now)IMPOSE environmental standards on a refinery.

Thanos @ Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:51 pm

The industry wasn't demonized under Harper. When Trudeau came in the situation was totally reversed. We would have mostly recovered by 2016 or 17 from the price collapse the Saudis engineered deliberately, the way the US did, if the Liberals hadn't gone into over-regulation mode.

How difficult is it to understand that it was a one-two punch that put Alberta down on the canvas, probably for good, first from the Arabs and then from our own federal government? Hope the photo-ops with Saint Greta and the other celeb activists were all worth it for you people. :roll:

raydan @ Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:49 pm

Thanos Thanos:
The industry wasn't demonized under Harper. When Trudeau came in the situation was totally reversed. We would have mostly recovered by 2016 or 17 from the price collapse the Saudis engineered deliberately, the way the US did, if the Liberals hadn't gone into over-regulation mode.

How difficult is it to understand that it was a one-two punch that put Alberta down on the canvas, probably for good, first from the Arabs and then from our own federal government? Hope the photo-ops with Saint Greta and the other celeb activists were all worth it for you people. :roll:

It's actually harder to mine in Québec than Alberta and Saskatchewan. We have more regulations than you have, and ours are Provincial.

Here's an example... I didn't check to see if you have something similar.
$1:
Our new legislative includes the obligation for mining companies to provide financial deposits amounting to 100% of the costs of site remediation within three years of the issuance of the mining permit. Also, with the new regime, all mining projects processing more than 3,000 mt/d will have to go through a public consultation process.

NOTE: One of the rare times I was able to spell Saskatchewan without my spell-checker flagging it. :lol:

fifeboy @ Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:05 pm

Thanos Thanos:

Sorry dude, the feds are not "out to get you" Canada isn't either. Alberta has wallowed in oil money (so has, to a lesser extent Saskatchewan) for years. I used to argue with a fellow teacher from Hamilton that power was going to shift west in Canada. He laughed and said that it would never happen because they would waste their oil income on 1- low royalties, 2- reducing taxes. Industrial expansion would be limited because everything was thrown at oil. Hence, cyclic economy that attracted workers during the good times and bought them a one way ticket home when times got tough. I'm sorry to say but it looks like he was right.
T_________, bought the frickin pipeline, couldn't start because of the courts. Now he says its getting built. Why not wait and see. Of course not, it's easier to whine!

Public_Domain @ Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:51 pm

raydan raydan:
NOTE: One of the rare times I was able to spell Saskatchewan without my spell-checker flagging it. :lol:

S-ask-at-chew-an

fifeboy @ Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanos Thanos:

Oh heavens, people in Canada were concerned about the climate! And SOPET went around painting a bandit moustache on maps of Alberta. How many people showed up to the Greta thing in Edmonton and how many big truck horn honkers were there? perhaps even Albertans have concerns?

How is T------ and the feds providing the #2 punch? How much is the world price of oil compared to the cost of production in Ft. Mac??? The evil SOPET responsible for that too. Man, that guy is scarier than Sores

fifeboy @ Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:00 pm

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
raydan raydan:

S-ask-at-chew-an

For my first job in Saskatchewan I misspelled Saskatchewan on my application. Got the job anyway. Either I'm special or they didn't read it 8)

raydan @ Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:41 pm

At least I can pronounce it... I wonder what you English speakers would do with Causapscal. My dad's home town.

Here, this might help... :lol:
(/koʊˈzɑːpskæl/)

From the Mi'kmaq (Micmac) word Goesôpsiag.

Where else can you walk from church and go fly fishing (it's a salmon river).

fifeboy @ Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:53 pm

raydan raydan:
At least I can pronounce it... I wonder what you English speakers would do with Causapscal. My dad's home town.

Here, this might help... :lol:
(/koʊˈzɑːpskæl/)

From the Mi'kmaq (Micmac) word Goesôpsiag.

Where else can you walk from church and go fly fishing (it's a salmon river).

My lawyer is going to contact yours. Trying to say Causapscal caused my tongue to twist and now I'm mute.

Err... my wife also sends her thanks :lol:

JaredMilne @ Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:54 pm

Thanos Thanos:

Except that Harper's bungling approach to oilsands development led to a lot of the industry's-and by extension Alberta's-PR problems today.

Here's a refresher.

JaredMilne @ Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:23 pm

FieryVulpine FieryVulpine:
If I had to guess, it's due--in part--to the what I see is toxic about Canadian culture as a whole. One that is insecure and self-aggrandizing with a constant need for attention and praise from the international community because we can never match the United States. It's a flaw that has existed since the Loyalists left for what is now Ontario. Canada used to pride itself on being part of the British Empire because we thought it gave us a sense of superiority over the Americans before it transformed into something else entirely. Justin Trudeau himself remarked that Canada was a "post-national state" with no core identity.

That contradiction bothers me. Now that the Liberals are effectively the party of Justin Trudeau they believe that Canada's national identity is that it has no national identity similar to how Seinfeld was a show about nothing. Canada is simply a postmodern social experiment. Not that a particularly blame JT for that mindset--he was raised to believe that deconstruction was a good thing.

It goes beyond economics at the core of it. Trudeau and everything his represents (of lack thereof) is a cancer to this country's soul. If Canada have no core identity then there is no Canada--just a disparate collection of regions with next to nothing to bind us together. If that is the case, then there is really nothing for the West to separate from--at least on a conceptual level. We are simply best served to break off from the "country" that has no idea of what it is anymore. I liken it to a an old house where termites have eaten away at the frame and the foundation is settling. JT and the Liberal believe that putting on a new coat of paint will fix its problems, and ignore the underlying issues because the obsess over a superficial world view.

If that is the case, then we should simply leave because Canada is effectively dead.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Trudeau a 'cancer', but you're touching on one of the big problems that Canada's had as a whole. I'd point out, though, that what you're talking about isn't just shown on the political left who call themselves 'citizens of the world'. There are a lot of people on the political right, particularly the NAFTA-supporters who tried to get us to integrate more and more with the United States, and otherwise have transferred more and more power from elected officials running countries to unelected, unaccountable trade bureaucrats such as the NAFTA tribunals or the World Bank.

Here's a refresher. Suffice to say this was along the lines of what Pierre Trudeau originally thought before he went into politics, with all his criticisms of nationalism. Some viewers thought his promotion of Canadian nationalism was merely a means to oppose Quebec nationalism. Too bad all it did was make the Quebec situation worse, but that's another story...

And I've never understood why we need to define ourselves against the UK or the U.S. I find it particularly grating when homegrown critics talk shit about us as if everything we say or do is somehow inferior to those other countries. J.J. McCullough used to post around here-according to DrCaleb, he was a perfect example. Conrad Black is another example.

Never mind that we've got more than enough reason to be proud of our accomplishments and who we are.

So we have both kinds of problems in Canada. We have those who say borders and nationhood don't matter, and talk shit about Canada's history and culture...and we have those who talk shit about other countries because we don't feel like we can stand on our own merits.

I say fuck both of that. Remembering the dark side of our history and culture can keep us from getting swelled heads and insulting other places like the U.S., and commemorating the positive side of our history and culture shows we don't need to insult other countries to feel better about ourselves.

fifeboy @ Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:47 pm

JaredMilne JaredMilne:
FieryVulpine FieryVulpine:
If I had to guess, it's due--in part--to the what I see is toxic about Canadian culture as a whole. One that is insecure and self-aggrandizing with a constant need for attention and praise from the international community because we can never match the United States. It's a flaw that has existed since the Loyalists left for what is now Ontario. Canada used to pride itself on being part of the British Empire because we thought it gave us a sense of superiority over the Americans before it transformed into something else entirely. Justin Trudeau himself remarked that Canada was a "post-national state" with no core identity.

That contradiction bothers me. Now that the Liberals are effectively the party of Justin Trudeau they believe that Canada's national identity is that it has no national identity similar to how Seinfeld was a show about nothing. Canada is simply a postmodern social experiment. Not that a particularly blame JT for that mindset--he was raised to believe that deconstruction was a good thing.

It goes beyond economics at the core of it. Trudeau and everything his represents (of lack thereof) is a cancer to this country's soul. If Canada have no core identity then there is no Canada--just a disparate collection of regions with next to nothing to bind us together. If that is the case, then there is really nothing for the West to separate from--at least on a conceptual level. We are simply best served to break off from the "country" that has no idea of what it is anymore. I liken it to a an old house where termites have eaten away at the frame and the foundation is settling. JT and the Liberal believe that putting on a new coat of paint will fix its problems, and ignore the underlying issues because the obsess over a superficial world view.

If that is the case, then we should simply leave because Canada is effectively dead.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Trudeau a 'cancer', but you're touching on one of the big problems that Canada's had as a whole. I'd point out, though, that what you're talking about isn't just shown on the political left who call themselves 'citizens of the world'. There are a lot of people on the political right, particularly the NAFTA-supporters who tried to get us to integrate more and more with the United States, and otherwise have transferred more and more power from elected officials running countries to unelected, unaccountable trade bureaucrats such as the NAFTA tribunals or the World Bank.

Here's a refresher. Suffice to say this was along the lines of what Pierre Trudeau originally thought before he went into politics, with all his criticisms of nationalism. Some viewers thought his promotion of Canadian nationalism was merely a means to oppose Quebec nationalism. Too bad all it did was make the Quebec situation worse, but that's another story...

And I've never understood why we need to define ourselves against the UK or the U.S. I find it particularly grating when homegrown critics talk shit about us as if everything we say or do is somehow inferior to those other countries. J.J. McCullough used to post around here-according to DrCaleb, he was a perfect example. Conrad Black is another example.

Never mind that we've got more than enough reason to be proud of our accomplishments and who we are.

So we have both kinds of problems in Canada. We have those who say borders and nationhood don't matter, and talk shit about Canada's history and culture...and we have those who talk shit about other countries because we don't feel like we can stand on our own merits.

I say fuck both of that. Remembering the dark side of our history and culture can keep us from getting swelled heads and insulting other places like the U.S., and commemorating the positive side of our history and culture shows we don't need to insult other countries to feel better about ourselves.

R=UP

DrCaleb @ Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:11 am

JaredMilne JaredMilne:
J.J. McCullough used to post around here-according to DrCaleb, he was a perfect example.

Hehehehe yes, but I recall him by his nickname, "Always Wrong". ;)

I still think about his crowning achievement,; when he was praising Russia for it's stance on Human Rights or some such, when I reminded him that as a Gay man, Russias' treatment of homosexuality went something like - beat a gay man till he isn't gay anymore. If you beat him too much, throw his body in the river. If it's a woman, rape her till she likes dick again.

I don't think he posted again, after that fiasco. His column is locked, so I'd publish a link, but it's gone.

filibuster-cartoons-f72/

Previous  1 ... 51  52  53  54  55