Canada Kicks Ass
Conservatives see lead slip, NDP confident

Previous  1  2  3  4

Bodah @ Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:09 pm

I'm glad the NDP has a shot as official opposition, they deserve at least that for what they did in Québec. Hats off to them.

But, they don't deserve the PMO, yet.

Let's see how they do as official opposition, first.

Thanks for the Conservative Majority: Québec or NDP you decide.

:wink:

ShepherdsDog @ Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:30 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Curtman Curtman:
commanderkai commanderkai:
Fair enough. I'm just a bit tired of "Fear Harper" bullshit and the extremely hyperbole statements. If you're against him because you're not a fan of his policies, fine, but sheesh, he's not the Anti-Christ.

Worse. He's the Anti-Christ, with an Anti-Christ senate.

Proof:

Chaim a nice Jewish boy, who once studied to be a rabbi.

Dragon-Dancer @ Mon May 09, 2011 12:49 pm

scarecrowe scarecrowe:
Dragon-Dancer Dragon-Dancer:
Building a new relationship could mean all sorts of things, but it's very much needed. First nations in many parts of this country are in dire need of help.

The only way that can be done is through self determination/governance. The current way has lead to unsustainable reliance. Very sad to actually see...children running around with loaded rifles for the "fun of it" on "Heritage Days"; shooting at "things" in town; scaring the life out of visitors who are trying to help out; absolute insanity. Who's heritage is that? A society of many lunatics on both sides.

Like I said, a new relationship could mean all sorts of things. I agree that there needs to be a change in the way we do things now but this relationship has to be fair for both parties ignoring the issue for too long has brought things to the point they are currently at.

scarecrowe scarecrowe:
Environment and climatology is directly connected to financial and industrial growth. To tie in to first nations as a very simple example, the loss of sea ice is destroying the local economy of the Inuit. Because they can no longer depend on hunting for a primary means of sustenance it makes them more dependent on outside sources of food which in the end costs the communities more money which in turn costs the federal coffers more money to assist these communities.

Everything is connected and nothing exists in a vacuum but someone needs to be the innovator. If we can develop the technology and make it cost effective there will be a market for it and in the end we'll diversify our economy in the process.

There are two approaches to changing the current climatic situation; mitigation and adaptation. Mitigation has been used almost exclusively by those who should know better than to piss into the wind. Adaptation should have the greatest emphasis but that will not happen until it is too late and hoards of money will have been thrown at an unstoppable tide.

Just wait, if you can, until a reversal occurs (the next inevitable ice age); adaptation will barely work for the "lucky" few; mitigation has no prayer of ever doing a thing.

Adaptation is going to be required under both approaches. Weening ourselves off our dependence on fossil fuels means adapting our lifestyles to suit this lower usage. In any case giving up and simply adapting means we have accepted that we can't influence some sort of recovery, many have not and since not all life on the planet is as adaptable to changes in environment as humans might be there's still a lot out there that some of us would love to see preserved and protected.

On another note since when has humanity shied away from pissing in the wind? Seems like we've been defined by such acts? :)

As for ice ages... one problem at a time!

scarecrowe scarecrowe:
As much as I support trying to build Afghanistan into a more modern society this sort of change has to come from within before anything can really be done. Destroying the Taliban is a pipe dream. To think that you can destroy a completely decentralized organization when you can't even really identify who all the actual members are and who may simple be bystanders or incidentals is expecting too much.

Pulling out of Afghanistan does not help the Afghan's we want to help. I guess the NDP will ask that you contribute monetarily (i.e. send in what is left on your pay cheque); contribute in spirit; contribute by shouting so Afghan's can here our chants of support over seas or by not doing a thing at all. In the end, it shows a long yellow stripe down the back of a typical NDP'er. Shame on them.

Staying isn't going to help either, change is far more effective on a society if it comes from within than from without. I never had a dispute with going in in the first place to break up the Taliban's little party in the Afghan but the longer a foreign power occupies the more discontent it brews and the less credit we have with anyone who might genuinely want change.

Dragon-Dancer @ Mon May 09, 2011 2:16 pm

I agree they are in dire need of help, but there are huge issues with just tossing money at them. Corruption being the highest amongst those issues. Also, I just made extremely short summaries of why I was against the NDP, without treating Jack Layton as the new Anti-Christ or adding codewords that can mean anything I can want them to mean. The NDP website has a bit more for their platform, but I see First Nations issues as something chock full of corruption.

Yes, it's a bit of a minefield but someone needs to tackle these issues once and for all or they'll just keep getting worse and cost more in the long run.

Researching effects of environmental or climate change is needed, and can certainly affect Canada beyond the Arctic, I agree. However, the approach of throwing treaties on the issue won't really change anything. Even without CO2 caused Climate Change, environmental efforts (recycling, conservation, proper forestry and wildlife management) all have beneficial uses for Canada's economy. Making our industries cleaner and more efficient is something we should strive for, but coming up with treaties that will have the largest polluters not sign on, mixed in with developing countries having their growth hampered is not a good thing.

That research has been ongoing for years and the findings are what being released now, there's more research being done all the time and it's all pointing in one direction currently. I agree that it's only one fact and all those things you list are also good. They are having an impact and doing as good a job as possible at doing what they can. We are already one of the leaders in areas like conservation and forestry/wildlife management. What we are not doing enough of is protecting our fresh water and making sure offenders in heavy industry are brought to task. Energy and minerals companies really seem to get far too much leeway.

I've never been one for big treaties the vast majority will pay lip service to either but like I said, there's money to be made on the environmental technology side of things too. If you can make it the cost effective choice then developing nations will sign on and you build your environmental response from the ground up from where people will notice it. Creative solutions are what will help mitigate the problem, not denial and obstructionism.

True, but I don't feel, be it as peacekeepers, or as members of a civilized society, that we should leave innocent people to be destroyed by wolves (the Taliban), as much as it might be a pipe dream, we need to get the Afghanis as stable and as protected as we can before pulling out. It won't be easy, no doubt, but bringing peace is never easy.

This is why I much prefer the new training role for police and army. This makes sense if you're trying to stabilize a society while not appearing to be occupiers. Make them self sufficient and they will be better equipped to solve their own problems. I'm still not convinced that the country is at all ready to accept lasting change but the best you can do is give the people the ability to make it work, that isn't going to happen if you're always doing it for them. I actually think the Taliban are the least of your problems in Afghanistan, the warlords are a much larger diagonalizing influence if you can't absorb them into government in some way that they become a part of the solution as opposed to a part of the problem.

smorgdonkey @ Tue May 17, 2011 5:46 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Curtman Curtman:
Fair enough. I'm just a bit tired of "Fear Harper" bullshit and the extremely hyperbole statements. If you're against him because you're not a fan of his policies, fine, but sheesh, he's not the Anti-Christ.

Worse. He's the Anti-Christ, with an Anti-Christ senate.

Proof:

That is a 'fake' Gene Simmons...and a 'fake' Prime Minister.

Oh well...I bet many got sucked in by the fake Gene...40% got sucked in by the fake PM!

Previous  1  2  3  4