Canada Kicks Ass
Highway of tears

1  2  3  Next

Kory Yamashita @ Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:39 pm

A quote from the late Pierre Trudeau: <br /> <br />"We know that justice and generosity can flourish only in an atmosphere of trust. For if individuals and minorities do not feel protected against the possibility of the tyranny of the majority, if French-speaking Canadians or native peoples or new Canadians do not feel they will be treated with justice, it is useless to ask them to open their hearts and minds to their fellow Canadians." <br /> <br /> <br />- Pierre Trudeau, April 17, 1982

gaulois @ Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:42 pm

Your posting certainly puts in perspective the wishful thinking one I put on improved sovereignty and perhaps the reason why this forum section has been left unattended so far. Rome was not built in a day and a cultural genocide does not help either, I supposed. But then I was told "patience is the worst tasting medecine". And Sovereinty is also a dream that they cherish and keep them alive. <br /> <br />To get back to the topic, why does it take a political party to ask for some kind of inquiry? Are People not sovereign and the justice system accountable to them? <br /> <br />

Kory Yamashita @ Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:26 am

Gaulois, it is wishful thinking indeed! But how do you think the black slaves felt in the US before they fought their way to freedom? Or the Indian people in India for that matter. And I bet it was wishful thinking that got the women the right to vote. And natives. And that's how we got trade unions to fight for workers' rights. And that's how we put an end to 14 and 16 hour workdays. And children working in the mines out east. <br /> <br />Indeed, it seems that aboriginal people are cared for less by our justice system than other people. Wasn't there a case of an aboriginal fellow being driven miles out of town and left in the prairie winter in the middle of the night? He froze to death and when people started asking questions, it was found that the police there had done it on several occasions? (Just going by memory here). <br /> <br />And in BC, there has been a call for an inquiry into the treatment of aboriginal nations in the treaty process. Technically, this land still all belongs to the aboriginals, as no treaties have been signed and no war ever fought. So the government has been stalling for years on the treaty issues because they don't want the aboriginals to gain title to what is now being treated as crown land. The calls for an inquiry that I've seen named about 50 high-ranking officials including Premiers, judges, lawyers, law firms, RCMP, etc. Basically every channel of justice was implicated in the alleged corruption. <br /> <br />I guess if the aboriginals can't be heard, we need to speak up FOR THEM! There are petitions going around. I'll post them somewhere for people to print out and pass around. <br /> <br />I'm trying to get ahold of some more references to these issues so people can look into them a bit!

z_whalen @ Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:52 am

This is the problem: we are trying to cure inequality with more inequality. This method has been an historical failure. The whole "you suffered, now we will" idea just doesn't work. If we want to see real equality, the handouts will have to stop; they are just icing over the real issues. People should have the same rights, regardless of race. Inequality will only create jealousy and hatred.

Calumny @ Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:03 am

Not being facetious here however natives are being cared for by our justice system, in the sense that the number incarcerated in Canada is way of of whack in terms of incarceration percentages for other racial groups. <br /> <br />The link below is to a report that includes stats on the number (52,390) of Canadian under 18s reported missing/run away in 2002. I believe I saw a report some months back for the U.S. of around 500,000 a year in that nation. <br /> <br /><a href="http://www.cp.org/survey/STREET-PG-Quark4.pdf">Teenage Runaway</a> <br /> <br />Given these numbers, the lack of an investigation in the matter you describe may related more to the extent of the problem and the resources available to address the same than being of a racial nature. <br /> <br />Also, how do we know there isn't an investigation going on? If police were investigating a potential serial killer situation, would they necessarily want to publicize the investigation? <br /> <br />The whole treaty question is I agree a mess. <br /> <br />Now does any of the above mean I disagree with the points you've made. No, because all are valid. <br /> <br />My heritage is English/Irish/Scottish (possibly some native way back but, don't know for sure). I grew up in a very multi-cultural area of Toronto. My best friends in youth were for the most part of Chinese heritage. <br /> <br />During my younger years, I lived and worked closely with native people for a period of time. I gained a great respect for native culture. <br /> <br />For whatever reason, I found myself in many areas to be more comfortable with eastern and native thought and lifestyle than I ever have western. <br /> <br />Perhaps due to this, I've always found myself looking at people as people first, rather than as English, French, Chinese, Ojibway people. <br /> <br />You're right...there has to be respect and trust between races (though, I'd prefer to just say people.). And we need to work together to find solutions that benefit all. <br /> <br />I look forward to reading more. <br /> <br />

gaulois @ Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:35 am

[QUOTE BY= z_whalen] If we want to see real equality, the handouts will have to stop; they are just icing over the real issues. People should have the same rights, regardless of race. [/QUOTE] <br />The sad reality is that we have thrown money at the problem via our state appointee proxies and have never really held them responsible for the lack of progress. Deja-vu anywhere anyone? We are also been generally wishy-washy about it as it is much easier to blame our state appointee proxies than trying to contribute solutions, just like talking to them, respecting them without seeing them through the lenses of welfare handout prejudices. <br /> <br />I think we will all agree that the handouts are part of the problem but simply removing them is not going to solve the problem either, will it? if nobody still does not care. I do not know what the answer is other than starting to ask some tough questions amongst ourselves, the "activists". <br /> <br />I do not think the Conservatives and neocons have helped much on this debate so far. They would be quite happy to park them on some iceflow (no handouts needed) and hoping the problem will just go away. The rest can simply "integrate" amongst us all.

Calumny @ Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:40 pm

Probably be happy to park us on the same iceflow. <br /> <br />The money solution is the easiset for government, particularly when it's other people's money you're spending. You look good doing it and can feel good about having done something, the fact that no long term good is done for anyone is irrelevant. <br /> <br />Governments live short term lives and, regardless of the pontificating some do, live in an environment of short-term, need of the moment thought. <br /> <br />Governments generally fail in the area of satisfactory long-term solution.

civiltech @ Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:06 pm

[QUOTE BY= Calumny] Probably be happy to park us on the same iceflow. <br /> <br />The money solution is the easiset for government, particularly when it's other people's money you're spending. You look good doing it and can feel good about having done something, the fact that no long term good is done for anyone is irrelevant. <br /> <br />Governments live short term lives and, regardless of the pontificating some do, live in an environment of short-term, need of the moment thought. <br /> <br />Governments generally fail in the area of satisfactory long-term solution.[/QUOTE] <br /> <br />I would agree with you on this point. However, there are dire concerns for Natives and their Reserves all over Canada. it is easy to have a harsh look fiscally when you don't have to see the conditions first hand. However, remember that these are fellow Canadians... <br /> <br />There is a heck of a lot of money poured into Indian Affiars...unfortunately...muc of it stops at the Band Office, and never finds it's intended recipient. A clean up of the whole administratin from the Minister (Bob Nault) right down to every chief is required. <br /> <br />Who would ever step up to the plate and really fix the problem. I mean for Natives and all? It is horrible the situations of manyof the NorthernReserves. It must be corrected. I don't care what political stripe you are...people are people. <br /> <br /> <br />

Kory Yamashita @ Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:51 pm

Civiltech, you bring up a good point - a lot of money DOES go into Indian Affairs, and not nearly so much comes out the services end. <br /> <br />However, there's a fundamental problem with trying to clean up the system. Each band claims cultural sovereignty and as such, protects its cultural heirarchy. In a culture where the position of chief is hereditary (and not all are), it is easy for corruption to breed. In these situations, it's not uncommon to see the chief and all his buddies loaded while half the reservation lives in poverty, or below poverty levels. <br /> <br />But if a non-native goes and tries to clean up an aboriginal system, it is an attack on their culture. And that's viewed as racism. And what right-minded government would want to be accused of being racist? That's needlessly alienating a huge demographic. So they choose to allow the corruption to continue - not that it doesn't happen at the senior levels of government anyways. There's just more money floating around in Indian Affairs and less specific directions on how to spend it! <br /> <br />Any solutions?

Calumny @ Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:41 am

Guess my meaning didn't come off as I'd intended. <br /> <br />My comments re: throwing money at the problem and the reasons this may occur were only meant to reflect the way things are. This is not what I believe is desirable or necessary. <br /> <br />For the record, the majority of the Indian and Northern Affairs budget is allocated to the former rathern than latter. This is the tip of the iceberg as concerns Canada's native people, as many other agencies and departments, e.g., Health, also expend significant sums in this area. This also doesn't the into account monies earned by native individuals and organizations that would be taxable in non-native hands however are legislatively non-taxable in native hands as a result of treatise. <br /> <br />It needs to be remembered that many status natives are doing very well in the current system and that the lot of natives across Canada is not equally miserable. <br /> <br />One of the difficulties is that if one looks at where the majority of reserves are located in Canada, these are often in rather remote northern locations. I'm not saying the majority of the native population is located in these areas, just that 75% or so of the reserves are. Certain hurdles must be overcome in creating a viable, acceptable economy in a small community in a remote location. <br /> <br />I think that civiltech's point re: 'people being people' is the main issue. Should any Canadian live in the types of circumstances found in many reserves. I think most of us agree they should not. <br /> <br />The problem is how to create an economy that is both viable and acceptable to the community and one that delivers the lifestyle most are comfortable with rather than what we believe should be had. <br /> <br />And there's an uphill battle re: public opinion, in that were some of the communities in question non-native, e.g., one economy towns where the mine failed, the consensus in some areas would be that the inhabitants should move to where the jobs are, rather than than their historic ties, ownership rights, culture, etc. being maintained through the tax dollars of others. The differences between the native and non-native situations are lost on some. And views re: move to where the jobs are, assimilate, etc. isn't confined solely to natives, as some of our friends in Atlantic Canada could doubtless attest. <br /> <br />Kory's point re: government not being desirous of the 'racist' card being played against them accurately reflects a weakness in our current system that extends far beyond native issues. Given that a primary motivation of government in current times is to remain the government and given our competitive system where bad press can have dire consequences, it's much easier for government to avoid venturing too far into some controversial areas. <br /> <br />

Kory Yamashita @ Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:44 am

Calumny, I agree.. I could go on for hours detailing how bad the situation is for many natives, and I could go on for hours detailing WHY it's so bad. But the problem is that I don't have a good solution. Any solution proposed by non-natives is generally rejected before it's heard. 'White man, quit telling us what to do'... you get the point. <br /> <br />I believe natives need to be included in the decision-making process. But many don't want to be (kinda like the populace in general). But some do, and it's to them that we must reach out. The first step, as I mentioned in the first post on this thread, is to treat them as equal humans. That is, if there is a serial killer quite obviously targetting their youth, actually hold an investigation. <br /> <br />Someone suggested that an investigation may be under way. Trust me. My family's lived in the area for over a century. We know what's going on. And I know that the police are spending their time harassing youth who are trying to enjoy their summer rather than searching for the serial killer who is quite literally working the highway. <br /> <br />Again the problem is the lack of direction of a key government agency - the RCMP. We need to set our priorities straight. (And I'm serious - I have a friend who got 4 tickets in 4 days, and only one of them was valid - drinking in public).

Calumny @ Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:03 pm

I agree with all points you've raised, Kory. <br /> <br />But how to proceed? <br /> <br />As direct democracy doesn't seem to be taking off as quickly as I'd hoped (may be a bit before its time) and I have come to believe you need to be part of the game to change the game, maybe I'll just join CAP. Never been a political party member before but, as civiltech has pointed out, it may have its advantages.

gaulois @ Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:45 am

[QUOTE BY= Calumny] <br />But how to proceed? <br />[/QUOTE] <br />Dialogue is key as suggested by Kory. I think dialogue will have to be done at the "Activist" level. Vive participants can certainly invite them onto our First Nation Forum as well as publishing own articles. <br /> <br />In addition, I think we sometimes need to leave the comfort zone of Vive and communicate directly at the people level. For the Internet addicts, there is a canadian site called www.ghostchild.com that holds an absolutely remarkable forum. I responded to the invite of a First Nation lad that visited Vive couple months ago and left us with his web coordinates. The time I have spent there has been such an eye opener.

Marcarc @ Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:07 pm

One more thing that might be said is that as the people here seem to be of the more liberal minded we should cross that final hurdle of talking about 'handouts' and 'what we can do for them'. WE have done quite enough and what can be done is to give them autonomy. The political situation described above is often, unfortunately correct, however we have to realize that in the majority of cases, specifically Manitoba and eastward, those political contructs are forced upon the bands. The government long ago realized they couldn't deal with individuals and families and so had to organize them into bands and force them to pick a leader. For example, the Maliceet never had a 'chief' and operating more as a matriarchy than a patriarchy. Yet even those who led did so for a short time. Much of the american democratic ideals came from native forms of government, not european. <br /> So the idea of one chief comes from our government,not theirs (again, not in every case). As somebody who knows many natives in many bands I can tell you that if it were not for the backing of our government enforcers, that situation would not last long. Again, that is why self government is necessary. It is only our elitism that says they can't figure out how to govern themselves-could they do much worse? <br /> Also, there are LOTS we can do right now. Support native co-ops, sign online petitions. And most importantly DONT believe what you read in the press. The propaganda that came out during Burnt Church puts the Fox Network to shame! <br />

hermanator_st @ Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:37 am

I am guessing that one of the problems in Northern B.C. is similar to that of Northern Alberta. There is just not the manpower to carry on effective in-depth investigations. <br />This is sad but a reality. <br />I live in Northern Alberta. And in my region there are 2.5 RCMP officers that serve a population of 9900. This is made only worse considering they have to cover an area of over 300kms. There is no way that a detachment can be effective with these numbers. <br />It is also sad that with Alberta being the "richest" province, they keep saying that there is no money to bring in new officers. <br />If it has only been local RCMP that have been investigating the situation, then that is probably very ineffective. What this needs is publicity, and the support of the rest of the Province of BC, and the country.

1  2  3  Next