Canada Kicks Ass
Looking for a decent mincemeat recipe

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:15 am

i'm hoping some has or knows someone who has a simple but tasty recipe for mincemeat. i want to make it in the next couple of weeks so it has time to age properly. preferably not one with beef suet as an ingredient as that is hard to find here

desertdude @ Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:35 am

I can tell you one, but dunno if your tastebuds you agree with them. Takes about twenty minutes max to make.

Take some chopped garlic and onions, stir fry them.

Dump in the mince meat and some chopped mixed veggies or if your in a hurry something like this also works very well

let them cook for a while, dump in some water, salt and whatever spices you like. I usually throw in a some red chilly powder and corriander powder. And cook it until until it reduces to the consistency you like. Usually when the oil sperates from the sauce.

Or if your not a spice fan. Dump in some regular canned pizza sauce of your liking and let it boil dowm. Alternately you can dump in some macaroni or pasta into this aswell.

Hope that helps :D

I usually do this when I'm in no mood to cook and need a quick fix

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:18 am

Thank you, but that's not mincemeat. Mincemeat is a traditional Christmas filling for pies and tarts. it usually contains apples, currants, raisins, sugar, fat(suet), spices, candied peel and sometimes nuts.

raydan @ Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:33 am

Can't find anything on the Net, SD?

I did see one using butter instead of suet but can't remember where. :(

martin14 @ Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:43 am

dont know about the recipe, but I use duck fat when it says suet, cause
its impossible to find here.

try this: :)

* 3/4 pound pork butt roast
* 1/2 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries
* 3/4 cup water
* 1 cup chopped apples
* 1/4 large orange
* 1/4 lemon
* 1/2 pound raisins
* 3/4 (16 ounce) can pitted sour red pie cherries
* 3/4 (16 ounce) can gooseberries
* 1/2 cup brandy
* 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
* 1 cup white sugar
* 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
* 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1-1/2 teaspoons ground allspice

# Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place meat in a roasting pan and cook until tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove meat when done, but do not turn off oven.
# While meat is cooking, place cranberries and water in a medium saucepan and simmer on low heat until cranberries begin to split open.
# When meat is done grind it together with chopped apples and set aside.
# Grind up orange and lemon, peel and all, and place them in a large ovenproof pan. Add cranberries, raisins, cherries, gooseberries, brandy, vinegar, sugar, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice. Combine thoroughly then stir in meat mixture.
# Cover pan with aluminum foil and place in oven. Heat mincemeat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
# Sterilize enough canning jars and lids to fit all mincemeat.
# Place a wire rack in the bottom of a large stock pot and fill halfway with water. Bring water to a rolling boil.
# Pack mincemeat into sterilized jars, ensuring that there are no spaces or air bubbles. Fill jars all the way to the top and screw on lids. Carefully lower jars into boiling water using a holder. Make sure jars have at least 2 inches of space between them. Pour more boiling water over jars if necessary, so that they are covered by 2 inches of water. Cover pot and process for 30 minutes.
# Carefully lift jars out of water using a holder, and place on a wooden or cloth-covered surface, at least 2 inches apart. Allow to cool, then check seal by pressing on jar lid. A properly sealed lid will not move up or down at all. Mincemeat should be aged for 2 or 3 months before using

BartSimpson @ Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:57 am

Hate to admit it, but this here is my 'recipe' for Mince pie...

Next month Winco will have them on sale for US$1.98 each and I will probably buy at least five of them to put away for the coming year.

At two bucks a pop I simply can't make these myself as cheaply.

Yogi @ Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:02 am

I looked thru all of Mom's old cook books, and the recipes call for suet. I went on-line and googled 'Suet alternative for mincemeat' and several recipes show up. Should find one you like there, Shep.

DrCaleb @ Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:33 am

There is a pretty good one here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mincemeat# ... ury_recipe

But it's Wikipedia, so it's probably inaccurate and biased.

desertdude @ Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:46 am

Ah I see, the defenition of mince meat differs here, I guess what I was refering to is what you might call ground beef.

martin14 @ Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:53 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
There is a pretty good one here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mincemeat# ... ury_recipe

But it's Wikipedia, so it's probably inaccurate and biased.

and way too left, too many veggies in it :)

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:48 pm

I'm going to try a few recipes and see which I like best....going to try some different types of brandy too, as well as some Grand marnier. I like the traditional and the vegetarian forms equally well, but this is for other people too. I was looking for something tried, tested and true but it looks like I'll have to wing it.

L1ch3ng @ Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:14 pm

found it on line.

Hearty Vegetable Barley Soup

Ingredients:

1/2 pound Lean Ground Beef
1/2 cup chopped Onion
2 Garlic cloves, minced
7 cups Water
16 ounces No-Salt Tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1/2 cup Medium Barley
1/2 cup sliced Celery
1/2 cup sliced Carrots
2 Beef Bouillon Cubes
1 teaspoon Basil
1 Bay Leaf
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
9 ounces Frozen Mixed Vegetables

Preparation:

1. Brown lean ground beef in large saucepan or Dutch oven. Brown beef until no longer pink.
2. Add onions and garlic. Cook until onions are tender. Drain off excess fat.
3. Add water, no-salt tomatoes, barley, celery, carrots, beef bouillon, basil, bay leaf, and black pepper.
4. Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low and cover.
5. Simmer 40 minutes. Stir occasionally.
6. Add mixed vegetables; cook 10 to 15 minutes until vegetables are tender.
7. Add additional water if soup becomes too thick.

herbie @ Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:51 pm

You should be able to buy suet in most grocery stores. I've seen it and wondered who buys it; turns out to be mostly people making bird feeder balls.

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:02 am

I had some shipped from home(canned mincemeat) that was suet free.