Canada Kicks Ass
Elizabeth May could provide valuable leadership

1  2  3  Next

Patrick_Ross @ Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:46 pm

Watching news reports about the Clean Air Act today, I couldn't help but feel that the proceedings could be aided by some neutral, largely non-partisan leadership. I think Elizabeth May could provide this leadership.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Rev_Blair @ Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:18 am

She'd do better to point out what monkeys they are instead of getting sucked into the fray. Baird made it pretty clear yesterday that the committee is going nowhere, and that's just dandy with the Liberals.

The committee was a good idea, but he two largest parties don't want it to work.

Patrick_Ross @ Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:58 am

Given that the committee is trying to amend the Conservatives' centerpiece air pollution/climate change bill, I would say that the Conservatives have a real vested interest in getting the committee to work.

Of course, not being in the room, I don't know who's initiating the partisan bickering. I suspect it's probably the Liberals, but I suppose, given the gravity of the situation that I'm biased toward this end.

What I can say for certain is that a leadership deficit has emerged, and we need someone to help fill the void. I think Elizabeth May could do that.

BluesBud @ Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:05 pm

I have been interested in the Green Party and watching them very closely lately. I am impressed with Elizabeth May. She speaks well on the issues environmental and otherwise. She would definitely be an asset in the proceedings.

I foresee a time where she will find her parties words will resonate better with a Liberal minority government than with the current administration. I would hope the NDP would work with the Liberals as easily as they do with the Neo-Conservative environmental agenda.

Rev_Blair @ Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:02 pm

$1:
Given that the committee is trying to amend the Conservatives' centerpiece air pollution/climate change bill, I would say that the Conservatives have a real vested interest in getting the committee to work.

More like an interest in getting the issue out of the headlines. It basically pits their core against those they hope to gain votes from. If the committee works to bring in real change, it will hurt them. If the committee fails, it will hurt them. They need things to fall apart because of the other parties while remaining clean themselves. I don't think they can manage that.

$1:
Of course, not being in the room, I don't know who's initiating the partisan bickering. I suspect it's probably the Liberals, but I suppose, given the gravity of the situation that I'm biased toward this end.

From what I've heard, it's both the Liberals and the Conservatives. They're too busy pointing fingers at each other to get any work done. The Bloc are mostly constructive, with a few partisan shots where it will get them votes.

The NDP are trying desperately to get this to work. I don't mean to paint them as angels either...the NDP needs a new medicare, a major accomplishment. Their best path to that is to be non-partisan and get a good plan through while letting the other guys look like idiots. Consider it partisanship by being non-partisan.

$1:
What I can say for certain is that a leadership deficit has emerged, and we need someone to help fill the void. I think Elizabeth May could do that.

I think she could if she was elected. She knows her way around politics and understands how a third party can apply pressure better than most. To bring her in without being elected would look like a special favour or political grandstanding though, and would ultimately undermine her. Not to mention that the rules really don't allow for it, since it's a parliamentary committee and she's not a member of Parliament.

$1:
I foresee a time where she will find her parties words will resonate better with a Liberal minority government than with the current administration.

I have my doubts about that. I don't see the Greens winning enough seats to have official party status anytime soon. Without that, they don't get on committees and they don't a lot of time to speak in the House.

While I believe that Dion does have a real commitment to the environment, I don't see any Liberal up and comers, with the exception of Rodriguez, with the same vision outside of political opportunism. I certainly don't see it in the Liberal establishment.

I think that once Dion is gone, the Liberals lose any ownership of this issue. It will take about that long for the Greens to gain a real foothold.

$1:
I would hope the NDP would work with the Liberals as easily as they do with the Neo-Conservative environmental agenda.

Bit of a reality check here.

The NDP has voted against every Conservative confidence bill. The Liberals cannot say the same.

The NDP has been pushing for real measures and hard targets to reduce GHGs since global warming became an issue. The Liberals cannot say the same.

The NDP has had a plan, including costing, for meeting Kyoto forever. The Liberals cannot say the same.

The NDP, from top to bottom, has very little faith in Harper doing anything for the environment. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try though. As I said before, trying also has its political advatages.

The Greens, for their part, are a lot like the Mulroney legacy they grew from. I don't mind that as an alternative pary applying pressure, and I hope they do well in the next election.

They don't have a lot of strength in any given region either. They have a fairly even amount of support across the board. A little higher in BC, maybe a bit in Ontario, and they did really well in Alberta, but they haven't got that one region that will get them into a seat. Without a seat, they aren't likely to get into the debates. Without the debates, gaining enough support to get official party status is really tough.

I hope May will get into the debates and break the seatless thing, not least because the more people learn about the Greens, the fewer votes they will siphon from the NDP and the more they will take from the Conservatives and Liberals. I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Patrick_Ross @ Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:06 pm

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
More like an interest in getting the issue out of the headlines. It basically pits their core against those they hope to gain votes from. If the committee works to bring in real change, it will hurt them. If the committee fails, it will hurt them. They need things to fall apart because of the other parties while remaining clean themselves. I don't think they can manage that.

I'm sure you'd like to think so. But the fact of the matter is that preservation of the environment, whether you care to admit it or not, is, by nature, a conservative principle.

After all, what is being conserved?

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
From what I've heard, it's both the Liberals and the Conservatives. They're too busy pointing fingers at each other to get any work done. The Bloc are mostly constructive, with a few partisan shots where it will get them votes.

But where are you hearing this? Most Canadian news outlets have a tendency to express a bias one way or the other. Without being in the room, we have little recourse other than to reserve judgement.

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
The NDP are trying desperately to get this to work. I don't mean to paint them as angels either...the NDP needs a new medicare, a major accomplishment. Their best path to that is to be non-partisan and get a good plan through while letting the other guys look like idiots. Consider it partisanship by being non-partisan.

So, then, the NDP are the " noble defenders of the environment"? They've been far from non-partisan on this issue.

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
I think she could if she was elected. She knows her way around politics and understands how a third party can apply pressure better than most. To bring her in without being elected would look like a special favour or political grandstanding though, and would ultimately undermine her. Not to mention that the rules really don't allow for it, since it's a parliamentary committee and she's not a member of Parliament.

There's no reason why she needs to be elected in order to be involved. In fact, it's because she's unelected that she's the best person for the job. She has nothing to lose by working with all three parties.

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
I have my doubts about that. I don't see the Greens winning enough seats to have official party status anytime soon. Without that, they don't get on committees and they don't a lot of time to speak in the House.

If they can grow beyond their one-issue platform, the Green Party will be in good position to absorb NDP votes being driven from the party by Jack "Used care salesman" Layton.

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
While I believe that Dion does have a real commitment to the environment, I don't see any Liberal up and comers, with the exception of Rodriguez, with the same vision outside of political opportunism. I certainly don't see it in the Liberal establishment.

I think that once Dion is gone, the Liberals lose any ownership of this issue. It will take about that long for the Greens to gain a real foothold.[/quote]

The Liberals, under Dion, don't have ownership of the issue right now. Nor do the Conservatives. Nor do the NDP. Nor, for that matter, do Green Peace, or the Sierra Club.

Noone owns this issue, because too many of these groups are trying to play it for partisan purposes.

Bluesbud Bluesbud:
I would hope the NDP would work with the Liberals as easily as they do with the Neo-Conservative environmental agenda.

Working with the Liberals is working with the neoconservatives. The Liberals are Canada's neoconservative party, like it or not.

Rev_Blair @ Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:49 pm

$1:
I'm sure you'd like to think so. But the fact of the matter is that preservation of the environment, whether you care to admit it or not, is, by nature, a conservative principle.

After all, what is being conserved?

The fact of the matter is that Conservatives have have a poor record when it comes to conserving. It's not up to me justify their failures, just to point them out.

$1:
But where are you hearing this? Most Canadian news outlets have a tendency to express a bias one way or the other. Without being in the room, we have little recourse other than to reserve judgement.

From inside the room. Turns out they have cameras and microphones set up so we can hear what the politicians say. I find that a pale ale and a dark tobacco make the proceedings most palatable.

$1:
So, then, the NDP are the " noble defenders of the environment"? They've been far from non-partisan on this issue.

Nope, like I said, it's their best political move. They have been non-partisan, at least as much as is possible in a political arena. They've done so for partisan reasons. That's the way politics works.

They have been the defenders of the environment though. Look at Hansard as far back as you care to go. Its on the record.

$1:
There's no reason why she needs to be elected in order to be involved.

You don't get to sit on parlimentary committees unless you belong to a party with official party status.

$1:
In fact, it's because she's unelected that she's the best person for the job.

By that criteria, everybody on here should mail me a cheque. I promise to spend the proceeds on beer and cigarettes.

$1:
She has nothing to lose by working with all three parties.

No she doesn't, and she knows that, and, as I'm sure I've said on here before, she understands how third party politics works. May is very effective at what she does. She'd be even more effective with a seat or two.

I heard somebody refer to her as an "earth mother" a few days ago, and I'm sure she'll take that title and use it, but the truth is that she'd be just as effective as a skinny old man because she understands how this stuff works.

$1:
If they can grow beyond their one-issue platform,

They have a fairly complete, if entirely Mulroneyesque, platform. it's more comprehensive than anything Harper ever ran on, at any rate.

$1:
the Green Party will be in good position to absorb NDP votes being driven from the party by Jack "Used care salesman" Layton.

Ah, down to that are we?

$1:
The Liberals, under Dion, don't have ownership of the issue right now. Nor do the Conservatives. Nor do the NDP. Nor, for that matter, do Green Peace, or the Sierra Club.

They all own this issue, in bits and pieces. Hell, even the Conservatives got the water issue at least half right. The problem isn't with ownership, it's with conflicts that ownership presents with other things they own...or that own them.

$1:
Noone owns this issue, because too many of these groups are trying to play it for partisan purposes.

It's politics, dude. If it isn't partisan, it doesn't exist.

$1:
Working with the Liberals is working with the neoconservatives. The Liberals are Canada's neoconservative party, like it or not.

No, the Conservatives are Canada's neo-conservative party. The Liberals are our neo-liberal party. Neither is good, and they are certainly hard to tell apart, but one wants to make government just small enough to fit in your bedroom, and the other doesn't care. Both want to make it big enough to fill their boardrooms. Neither is interested in letting you or me have much of a say...they feel we should be managed.

I've spent a lot of time managing not to be managed...

Patrick_Ross @ Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:23 pm

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
The fact of the matter is that Conservatives have have a poor record when it comes to conserving. It's not up to me justify their failures, just to point them out.

Demonstrably untrue. Double check Brian Mulroney's record on the environment: best in Canadian history. Care to try again?

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
From inside the room. Turns out they have cameras and microphones set up so we can hear what the politicians say. I find that a pale ale and a dark tobacco make the proceedings most palatable.

Then edited by news outlets, often to support however they want to present the story. Unless you're watching on CSPAN. ?

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
Nope, like I said, it's their best political move. They have been non-partisan, at least as much as is possible in a political arena. They've done so for partisan reasons. That's the way politics works.

As I recall, it was Jack Layton who first came up with the "hot air act" moniker that they and the Liberals so gleefully spouted. They have been anything but non-partisan. They've been as partisan as anyone.

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
They have been the defenders of the environment though. Look at Hansard as far back as you care to go. Its on the record.

ROTFL Thanks. I needed that one. :roll:

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
You don't get to sit on parlimentary committees unless you belong to a party with official party status.

That is the current practice, but it clearly could stand to change.

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
By that criteria, everybody on here should mail me a cheque. I promise to spend the proceeds on beer and cigarettes.

And your qualifications would be?

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
No she doesn't, and she knows that, and, as I'm sure I've said on here before, she understands how third party politics works. May is very effective at what she does. She'd be even more effective with a seat or two.

I heard somebody refer to her as an "earth mother" a few days ago, and I'm sure she'll take that title and use it, but the truth is that she'd be just as effective as a skinny old man because she understands how this stuff works.

She can afford to be gutsy. She can afford to make a move that other parties would dismiss as politically unsound. Best reason to get her involved.

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
They have a fairly complete, if entirely Mulroneyesque, platform. it's more comprehensive than anything Harper ever ran on, at any rate.

ROTFL Thanks. I need that one, too.

Clearly, you aren't very familiar with their platform. Their "energy policy" alone was enough reason to chortle.

Furthermore, where does the Green Party sand:

On health care?
On crime?
On foreign policy?

We know where they stand on the environment. That's why they're strictly a one-issue party.

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
$1:
the Green Party will be in good position to absorb NDP votes being driven from the party by Jack "Used care salesman" Layton.

Ah, down to that are we?

Afraid so. After all, you're the one who's hijacked a thread about the need for third-party non-partisan leadership in the Clean Air Act committee, and turned it into a "the NDP is the bestest ever" thread.

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
They all own this issue, in bits and pieces. Hell, even the Conservatives got the water issue at least half right. The problem isn't with ownership, it's with conflicts that ownership presents with other things they own...or that own them.

The trouble is that none of them are credible.

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
It's politics, dude. If it isn't partisan, it doesn't exist.

I would say that's precisely the problem.

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
No, the Conservatives are Canada's neo-conservative party. The Liberals are our neo-liberal party. Neither is good, and they are certainly hard to tell apart, but one wants to make government just small enough to fit in your bedroom, and the other doesn't care. Both want to make it big enough to fill their boardrooms. Neither is interested in letting you or me have much of a say...they feel we should be managed.

I've spent a lot of time managing not to be managed...

:roll: Well, if you want to change the definition of neoconservative to brand the Conservative party as a neoconservative party, that's fine.

Rev_Blair @ Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:05 am

$1:
Demonstrably untrue. Double check Brian Mulroney's record on the environment: best in Canadian history. Care to try again?

Mulroney was the best of a bad lot and did it only for votes. In addition to that, today's Conservatievs are not Mulroney's PCs. Go look at the record of the Reform/Alliance/Conservative Party.

$1:
Then edited by news outlets, often to support however they want to present the story. Unless you're watching on CSPAN. ?

All of the above.

$1:
As I recall, it was Jack Layton who first came up with the "hot air act" moniker that they and the Liberals so gleefully spouted. They have been anything but non-partisan. They've been as partisan as anyone.

Yup, and it helped to get the special committee formed.

$1:
Thanks. I needed that one.

Go look it up.

$1:
That is the current practice, but it clearly could stand to change.

You want our government run by unelected representatives?

$1:
And your qualifications would be?

I'm unelected and like beer and cigarettes.

$1:
She can afford to be gutsy. She can afford to make a move that other parties would dismiss as politically unsound. Best reason to get her involved.

Involved, certainly. Sitting on a committee of elected representatives when she hasn't been elected? No.

$1:
Clearly, you aren't very familiar with their platform. Their "energy policy" alone was enough reason to chortle.

It's no more bizarre than Harper's energy policy.

$1:
Furthermore, where does the Green Party sand:

On health care?
On crime?
On foreign policy?

Somewhere between the Liberals and the Conservatives, mostly. Dion has kind of taken the Green stance on health care and, to a lesser extent, foreign policy as his own.

$1:
Afraid so. After all, you're the one who's hijacked a thread about the need for third-party non-partisan leadership in the Clean Air Act committee, and turned it into a "the NDP is the bestest ever" thread.

I hijacked nothing. I simply pointed out that May has not earned the right to sit on the committee and that it's the Liberals and Conservatives who are playing the partisan games. Did you see Baird's appearance?

$1:
The trouble is that none of them are credible.

Is May?

$1:
I would say that's precisely the problem.

And which is the only party with seats in the House pushing to change the system?

$1:
Well, if you want to change the definition of neoconservative to brand the Conservative party as a neoconservative party, that's fine.

I'm not changing the definition at all, I'm just going by what Leo Strauss, the father of neo-conservatism, said. He was very clear about mixing religious morality and ultra-nationalism in order to gain and retain power.

$1:

Patrick_Ross @ Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:55 pm

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
Mulroney was the best of a bad lot and did it only for votes. In addition to that, today's Conservatievs are not Mulroney's PCs. Go look at the record of the Reform/Alliance/Conservative Party.

What record would that be? You want to judge the party's future record according to one year in office.

$1:
Yup, and it helped to get the special committee formed.

I'm glad you admit that the NDP has, in fact, been as partisan as anyone.

$1:
Go look it up.

I think I'm still too busy laughing.

$1:
You want our government run by unelected representatives?

Frankly, it all comes down to the different spheres of society. Our elected representatives represent the polity. Business leaders represent the commercial sphere. Because the Green Party has yet to elect any MPs, I would treat them as a representative of the cultural sphere.

The government has promised consultation with industry. Bringing in Elizabeth May to help arbitrate the discussions on the Clean Air Act is simply a good recipe for a three folding initiative, and it's the probably the best way to get this thing done.

Is there a reason why you feel so threatened by the Green Party, Rev?

$1:
I'm unelected and like beer and cigarettes.

If that's your only qualification, you should understand when you're not hired.

$1:
Involved, certainly. Sitting on a committee of elected representatives when she hasn't been elected? No.

Actually, I'm suggesting more than that. I'm suggesting she chair the committee, as a special arbitrator.

$1:
It's no more bizarre than Harper's energy policy.

Actually, the Conservative party's energy policy is at least sound. Much more sound, in fact than the NDP's.

Funny, however, how it's Harper's energy policy. I think Jack Layton has been so successful in brainwashing his MPs into referring to the NPD as "Jack Layton and the NDP that even its supporters are unable to tell parties and their leaders apart.

$1:
Somewhere between the Liberals and the Conservatives, mostly. Dion has kind of taken the Green stance on health care and, to a lesser extent, foreign policy as his own.

There is no Green party policy worth discussing on any of these issues, except foreign policy, and even then Kyoto represents the entirety of their foreign policy.

It's their greatest weakness, and one they will need to resolve.

$1:
I hijacked nothing. I simply pointed out that May has not earned the right to sit on the committee and that it's the Liberals and Conservatives who are playing the partisan games. Did you see Baird's appearance?

You took a thread, the topic of which was about how Elizabeth May could help settle the Clean Air Act issue, and made a blatant attempt to devote it to the NDP. That is not the topic of this thread.

I saw edited news pieces containing portions of Baird's appearance, which is why I'm reluctant to divest him of any blame for the degeneration of the committee.

$1:
Is May?

I think May is as credible as any of them, if not more.

$1:
And which is the only party with seats in the House pushing to change the system?

Only one? I understand that both the Conservatives and the NDP are in favor of various electoral reforms, including senate reform.

Which is the only party to actually introduce legislation to this effect?

$1:
I'm not changing the definition at all, I'm just going by what Leo Strauss, the father of neo-conservatism, said. He was very clear about mixing religious morality and ultra-nationalism in order to gain and retain power.

Clearly, you know nothing of neoconservatism, except as a political buzz phrase.

The use of "religious morality" for political moral capital is part of neoconservatism, but its only a small part. Furthermore, would you try to pretend that the Liberals haven't done the same thing by promoting a political ideal of ecclesiastic atheism? Furthermore, doesn't the NDP's roots as a Christian political party, under J.S. Woodsworth and Tommy Douglas, qualify in the same regard? But god forbid that Stephen Harper should say "god bless Canada".

Furthermore, the Liberal party has, for the past 20 years, been Canada's flagbearers of the most important element of neoconservatism: Straussian elitist rule.

The "Conservative hidden agenda" has certainly been the best example of the noble lie that Straussian thinkers advocate.

Furthermore, who is it, again, who has resurrected the "Great Parties" ideal that skips hand-in-hand with the neoconservative tendency to frame politics as an epic battle between good and evil?

It has unquestionably, undoubtedly, been the Liberals.

Rev_Blair @ Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:05 am

$1:
What record would that be? You want to judge the party's future record according to one year in office.

They've been around a lot longer than a year. The Reform/Alliance/Conservatives have a record on this going back to Mulroney's time in office when Lucien Bouchard first brought it up.

$1:
I'm glad you admit that the NDP has, in fact, been as partisan as anyone.

Before the committee started, certainly. Outside of committee, of course. Inside the committee they have chosen to try to work with everybody.

$1:
I think I'm still too busy laughing.

Fine, choose to remain ignorant then.

$1:
Frankly, it all comes down to the different spheres of society. Our elected representatives represent the polity. Business leaders represent the commercial sphere. Because the Green Party has yet to elect any MPs, I would treat them as a representative of the cultural sphere.

Hey, we could put the Carlton Showband in charge of Bev Oda's file.

$1:
The government has promised consultation with industry. Bringing in Elizabeth May to help arbitrate the discussions on the Clean Air Act is simply a good recipe for a three folding initiative, and it's the probably the best way to get this thing done.

And I would have no problem with May, or anybody else, taking part in those talks. That is different than putting them on a parliamentary committee though.

$1:
Is there a reason why you feel so threatened by the Green Party, Rev?

On the contrary, I've been fairly outspoken in the past about the need for them to be allowed into election debates and the need for proportional representation so that the Greens and other smaller parties have a chance to grow.

$1:
If that's your only qualification, you should understand when you're not hired.

I never said that I should be hired, I said everybody on here should mail me a cheque, which I promised to spend on beer and cigarettes. I was being sarcastic and pointing out the inanity of your position.

$1:
Actually, I'm suggesting more than that. I'm suggesting she chair the committee, as a special arbitrator.

You're suggesting putting an unelected representative on a parliamentary committee.

Would I prefer to see May chairing than the Conservative fool that was given the job? Certainly, but that's not the issue.

Do I think that unelected representatives should be given seats on parliamentary committees? Not a chance. Setting a precedent for unelected representatives to chair Commons committees is a really bad idea.

$1:
Actually, the Conservative party's energy policy is at least sound. Much more sound, in fact than the NDP's.

The Conservative's energy policy ties us to 19th century technology. How is that sound?

$1:
Funny, however, how it's Harper's energy policy. I think Jack Layton has been so successful in brainwashing his MPs into referring to the NPD as "Jack Layton and the NDP that even its supporters are unable to tell parties and their leaders apart.

Harper has a well-earned reputation going back to at least his NCC days for being a notorious micro-manager. All indications are that those tendencies have gotten worse, not better, since he came to power.

$1:
There is no Green party policy worth discussing on any of these issues, except foreign policy, and even then Kyoto represents the entirety of their foreign policy.

It's their greatest weakness, and one they will need to resolve.

So if you don't like a policy, it's not worth discussing?

$1:
You took a thread, the topic of which was about how Elizabeth May could help settle the Clean Air Act issue, and made a blatant attempt to devote it to the NDP. That is not the topic of this thread.

No, I addressed a number of bad ideas and some misinformation you were promoting.

$1:
I saw edited news pieces containing portions of Baird's appearance, which is why I'm reluctant to divest him of any blame for the degeneration of the committee.

You should watch the whole thing. Baird uses his answers to NDP and Bloc members to slam the Liberals, the Conservatives on the committee use their questions to attack the Liberals and Baird answers by agreeing with them, then slamming the Liberals some more.

Baird does not answer any questions about government plans or policies.

The rest isn't as dramatic as the clips you saw, but the blatant Conservative partisanship is there.

$1:
I think May is as credible as any of them, if not more.

She's been fawning over Dion in about the same way she fawns over Mulroney. There are rumours that she's going to try to merge the Greens with Liberals. While I doubt those Liberals are true, they stem from her actions and words over the last month or so.

$1:
Only one? I understand that both the Conservatives and the NDP are in favor of various electoral reforms, including senate reform.

Which is the only party to actually introduce legislation to this effect?

The NDP is favour of abolishing the Senate. The view on Harper's tinkering is that it won't hurt, but it won't actually accomplish anything.

The Senate isn't what needs to be reformed though. Our first past the post electoral system is. The Conservatives have refused to take any substantive action on that, instead paying it lip service when pressed. Just like the Liberals.

$1:
Clearly, you know nothing of neoconservatism, except as a political buzz phrase.

Bullshit. I just differentiate between neo-liberalism and neo-conservatism. I don't agree with either, but I recognise the differences.

Clogeroo @ Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:28 am

The Green Party would make a good party if they toned down all that environment stuff.

Patrick_Ross @ Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:42 am

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
They've been around a lot longer than a year. The Reform/Alliance/Conservatives have a record on this going back to Mulroney's time in office when Lucien Bouchard first brought it up.

It isn't realistic to consider the new Conservative party and the old Progressive Conservative party the same party. The Progressive Conservative party was a party with an aristocratic tradition. The Conservative party is a party with a grassroots tradition. They funtion entirely differently (and this is another reason why it's inacccurate to label them a neoconservative party).

$1:
Before the committee started, certainly. Outside of committee, of course. Inside the committee they have chosen to try to work with everybody.

Partisanship is partisanship, regardless of where it occurs. Thank you for admiting that the NDP have, in fact, been as partisan as anyone.

$1:
Fine, choose to remain ignorant then.

It's funny that you should phrase it like that, because let's face it: the NDP has no record. They've enjoyed the convenience of being an opposition party their entire existence (at the federal level), and have never been the ones to have to worry about how to make an NDP proposal work.

To cite the "NDP record on the environment" is a crock.

$1:
Hey, we could put the Carlton Showband in charge of Bev Oda's file.

The G8 and OPEC have all made room at the table for NGOs. That's every reason why the Canadian government can and should do the same, particularly on this issue.

$1:
And I would have no problem with May, or anybody else, taking part in those talks. That is different than putting them on a parliamentary committee though.

So then you're suddenly opposed to this idea because it's change? Or because it lets your party's premier competition come to the table?

$1:
On the contrary, I've been fairly outspoken in the past about the need for them to be allowed into election debates and the need for proportional representation so that the Greens and other smaller parties have a chance to grow.

I'm sure you would be in favor of an unworkable system like proportional representation -- the NDP would never have to worry about how to impliment it. Of course, the problem with proportional representation is that it severs the link of responsibility between politicians and the people they're expected to represent. That's why it's a terrible idea.

$1:
I never said that I should be hired, I said everybody on here should mail me a cheque, which I promised to spend on beer and cigarettes. I was being sarcastic and pointing out the inanity of your position.

The two propositions have nothing in common.

Elizabeth May = qualified.
You = not quallified.

Notice the difference?

$1:
You're suggesting putting an unelected representative on a parliamentary committee.

As a matter of fact, I am.

$1:
Would I prefer to see May chairing than the Conservative fool that was given the job? Certainly, but that's not the issue.

Do I think that unelected representatives should be given seats on parliamentary committees? Not a chance. Setting a precedent for unelected representatives to chair Commons committees is a really bad idea.

And why is that? Even an unelected chairperson of such a committee still has to work within the boundaries of the committee's discussion. It isn't as if May could force the implimentation of some hairbrained Green Party scheme. At best, she would be the one fostering the negotiation between the other parties in the committee.

$1:
The Conservative's energy policy ties us to 19th century technology. How is that sound?

:roll: Speaking of remaining ignorant...

$1:
Harper has a well-earned reputation going back to at least his NCC days for being a notorious micro-manager. All indications are that those tendencies have gotten worse, not better, since he came to power.

Well, by all accounts that I'm hearing from within the party, this reputation is almost entirely a Liberal party invention, with little or no basis in reality.

According to my MP, (paraphrasing) "Stephen likes to lead by example. He ensures the job gets the job done by helping as much as he can."

He isn't a hands-off leader. Personally, I think that's a good thing.

$1:
So if you don't like a policy, it's not worth discussing?

If a policy isn't feasible, it isn't worth discussing. Furthermore, if a policy doesn't exist...

[quoteNo, I addressed a number of bad ideas and some misinformation you were promoting.[/quote]

:roll: And what "misinformation" would that be?

$1:
You should watch the whole thing. Baird uses his answers to NDP and Bloc members to slam the Liberals, the Conservatives on the committee use their questions to attack the Liberals and Baird answers by agreeing with them, then slamming the Liberals some more.

Baird does not answer any questions about government plans or policies.

The rest isn't as dramatic as the clips you saw, but the blatant Conservative partisanship is there.

Which is the impression one gets from watching the news clips. Which is precisely why some non-partisan leadership is needed.

$1:
She's been fawning over Dion in about the same way she fawns over Mulroney. There are rumours that she's going to try to merge the Greens with Liberals. While I doubt those Liberals are true, they stem from her actions and words over the last month or so.

:roll: Rumors and innuendo. As long as you're basing all of this on credible sources, like rumros and innuendo...

$1:
The NDP is favour of abolishing the Senate. The view on Harper's tinkering is that it won't hurt, but it won't actually accomplish anything.

The Senate isn't what needs to be reformed though. Our first past the post electoral system is. The Conservatives have refused to take any substantive action on that, instead paying it lip service when pressed. Just like the Liberals.

The first-past-the-post electoral system works just fine. It maintains a direct link between politicians and the people who elect them, and retains that direct accountability. Whereas, under proportional representation, MPs would have no consituents to answer to. Proportional representaiton is a recipe for the death of populism within our democratic system. Ultimately, it is only an element of populism (however strong or weak) that makes democracy work.

$1:
Bullshit. I just differentiate between neo-liberalism and neo-conservatism. I don't agree with either, but I recognise the differences.

If you knew anything about neoconservativism, you could tell the difference between a neoconservative party like the Liberals, and a conservative party like the Conservatives.

But if you need any more education on the topic, you go ahead and let me know.

Rev_Blair @ Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:28 pm

$1:
It isn't realistic to consider the new Conservative party and the old Progressive Conservative party the same party. The Progressive Conservative party was a party with an aristocratic tradition. The Conservative party is a party with a grassroots tradition. They funtion entirely differently (and this is another reason why it's inacccurate to label them a neoconservative party).

Which is why I noted the Reform/Alliance/Conservative Party in contrast to Mulroney's party.

$1:
Partisanship is partisanship, regardless of where it occurs. Thank you for admiting that the NDP have, in fact, been as partisan as anyone.

Good. Now stand up and admit that Elizabeth May, who has spent her career as a political activist and is now the leader of a political party, is also partisan.

$1:
It's funny that you should phrase it like that, because let's face it: the NDP has no record. They've enjoyed the convenience of being an opposition party their entire existence (at the federal level), and have never been the ones to have to worry about how to make an NDP proposal work.

To cite the "NDP record on the environment" is a crock.

Wow, so you deny that the Conservatives had a record before coming to power, refuse to see the Bloc's record, and I guess you likely deny that the Liberals also had a record during periods when they sat in opposition. How convenient for you. Nothing exists unless you say it does.

The NDP has a good environmental record. They have spoken out what they support and have voted accordingly.

$1:
The G8 and OPEC have all made room at the table for NGOs. That's every reason why the Canadian government can and should do the same, particularly on this issue.

There should be room made for them. That room should not be made in a venue designed for elected representatives though.

$1:
So then you're suddenly opposed to this idea because it's change? Or because it lets your party's premier competition come to the table?

No, I'm opposed to putting unelected representatives on parliamentary committees because it is undemocratic. In this case it would likely even be beneficial to what the NDP is trying to accomplish, and it would certainly set the Harperites back on their asses, but it would set a precedent of appointing unelected people to positions meant to be held by elected officials.

$1:
I'm sure you would be in favor of an unworkable system like proportional representation -- the NDP would never have to worry about how to impliment it. Of course, the problem with proportional representation is that it severs the link of responsibility between politicians and the people they're expected to represent. That's why it's a terrible idea.

There are many kinds of proportional representation and your attempts to present the only option as pure list voting are either ill-informed or dishonest.

$1:
The two propositions have nothing in common.

Elizabeth May = qualified.
You = not quallified.

Notice the difference?

How is Elizabeth May qualified? Is she more qualified than David Suzuki? Maybe we could Bob MacDonald or Jay Ingram in. Professor Blair (no relation) at the U of W is qualified. Perhaps we could fly Tim Flannery up from Australia or George Monbiot in from England. There are any number of experts inside and outside of Canada who are more qualified than Elizabeth May. Since none of them are elected either, perhaps you should justify your preference for May. Or perhaps you should accept that without winning a seat, the major qualification for the position has not been met.

By the way, I'm perfectly qualified to drink beer and smoke cigarettes, which is all I ever claimed.

$1:
As a matter of fact, I am.

So you don't like democracy?

$1:
And why is that? Even an unelected chairperson of such a committee still has to work within the boundaries of the committee's discussion. It isn't as if May could force the implimentation of some hairbrained Green Party scheme. At best, she would be the one fostering the negotiation between the other parties in the committee.

At best it would be setting an unfortunate precedent that would be open to partisan abuse later. At worst, May's own partisanship would cause her to bias the discussions and the final outcome.

$1:
Speaking of remaining ignorant...

Sorry, maybe I should have said 17th century, since they love burning coal too.

Hey, why won't they sign on to reduce mercury? I thought they wanted to deal with non-ghg pollution as well.

$1:
Well, by all accounts that I'm hearing from within the party, this reputation is almost entirely a Liberal party invention, with little or no basis in reality.

According to my MP, (paraphrasing) "Stephen likes to lead by example. He ensures the job gets the job done by helping as much as he can."

He isn't a hands-off leader. Personally, I think that's a good thing.

From everything I've heard from within the Conservatives, from the other parties, and from the press, Harper is just as dictatorial as ever.

$1:
If a policy isn't feasible, it isn't worth discussing. Furthermore, if a policy doesn't exist...

Ah, and only you get to decide what's feasible.

$1:
And what "misinformation" would that be?

That May is non-partisan. That Liberals are the only ones being partisan on the committee. That the Conservatives are doing things properly.

$1:
Which is the impression one gets from watching the news clips. Which is precisely why some non-partisan leadership is needed.

How is the leader of a political party non-partisan?

$1:
Rumors and innuendo. As long as you're basing all of this on credible sources, like rumros and innuendo...

I'm basing my assessment on things she's said into microphones with the cameras rolling.

$1:
The first-past-the-post electoral system works just fine. It maintains a direct link between politicians and the people who elect them, and retains that direct accountability. Whereas, under proportional representation, MPs would have no consituents to answer to. Proportional representaiton is a recipe for the death of populism within our democratic system. Ultimately, it is only an element of populism (however strong or weak) that makes democracy work.

It doesn't work "just fine" at all. Two parties are consistently over-represented. The NDP and the Greens are consistently under-represented. Worse than that, it skews people's choices because they too often vote to keep somebody out instead of getting somebody they really want in. It leads to an excess of partisan bickering.

You've again presented a straight list system as the only choice as well. As I pointed out before, that shows that you either don't understand what's being considered or you are seeking to misinform others.

$1:
If you knew anything about neoconservativism, you could tell the difference between a neoconservative party like the Liberals, and a conservative party like the Conservatives.

But if you need any more education on the topic, you go ahead and let me know.

If I need an education on anything, I'll seek out somebody who knows what they are talking about, thanks.

Patrick_Ross @ Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:50 pm

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
Which is why I noted the Reform/Alliance/Conservative Party in contrast to Mulroney's party.

And yet, you used the to-date unimpressive action of the current Conservative party -- although recent actions are much more encouraging -- to derride the well-acclaimed accomplishments of the Mulroney Progressive Conservatives.

You really can't have it both ways.

$1:
Good. Now stand up and admit that Elizabeth May, who has spent her career as a political activist and is now the leader of a political party, is also partisan.

Elizabeth May has been far from partisan.

$1:
Wow, so you deny that the Conservatives had a record before coming to power, refuse to see the Bloc's record, and I guess you likely deny that the Liberals also had a record during periods when they sat in opposition. How convenient for you. Nothing exists unless you say it does.

The current Conservative party didn't have a record prior to coming into power, for the same reason the NDP still doesn't -- at the federal level, at least.

$1:
The NDP has a good environmental record. They have spoken out what they support and have voted accordingly.

Canadian political adages: it's easy to govern from the opposition benches.

$1:
There should be room made for them. That room should not be made in a venue designed for elected representatives though.

Why not? The decisions made by this committee will inevitably affect people representing the other spheres of society. It's a lack of involvement by the other spheres of society that have led to unsustainable sociopolitica/economicl arrangelemts.

$1:
No, I'm opposed to putting unelected representatives on parliamentary committees because it is undemocratic. In this case it would likely even be beneficial to what the NDP is trying to accomplish, and it would certainly set the Harperites back on their asses, but it would set a precedent of appointing unelected people to positions meant to be held by elected officials.

Excluding outside participants from parliamentary committees is what's really undemocratic.

$1:
There are many kinds of proportional representation and your attempts to present the only option as pure list voting are either ill-informed or dishonest.

Any of the propositions, many of which I've heard, result in the election of politicians who can't be held accountable for their constituents. I am absolutely opposed to that.

$1:
How is Elizabeth May qualified? Is she more qualified than David Suzuki? Maybe we could Bob MacDonald or Jay Ingram in. Professor Blair (no relation) at the U of W is qualified. Perhaps we could fly Tim Flannery up from Australia or George Monbiot in from England. There are any number of experts inside and outside of Canada who are more qualified than Elizabeth May. Since none of them are elected either, perhaps you should justify your preference for May. Or perhaps you should accept that without winning a seat, the major qualification for the position has not been met.

Why don't we let David Suzuki in, too? He certainly doesn't seem to have much to say in regards to directing scientific evidence into policy, but he sure does have the science down. Couldn't hurt. Let him in.

$1:
So you don't like democracy?

I prefer a more complete democracy, which is precisely what my proposition entails.

$1:
At best it would be setting an unfortunate precedent that would be open to partisan abuse later. At worst, May's own partisanship would cause her to bias the discussions and the final outcome.

The current system is far more open to partisan abuse, because it doesn't include the practice of recruiting someone who at least can be non-partisan.

$1:
Sorry, maybe I should have said 17th century, since they love burning coal too.

Hey, why won't they sign on to reduce mercury? I thought they wanted to deal with non-ghg pollution as well.

Perhaps you might have noticed all the big-money grants for renewable energy. Then again, evidently not.

$1:
From everything I've heard from within the Conservatives, from the other parties, and from the press, Harper is just as dictatorial as ever.

:roll: And who are you hearing this from? Intersting how no one is talking about this, other than Liberals.

$1:
Ah, and only you get to decide what's feasible.

Evidently, I'm a more qualified judge than you.

$1:
That May is non-partisan. That Liberals are the only ones being partisan on the committee. That the Conservatives are doing things properly.

ROTFL Perhaps you may want to take a gander at this:

http://www.gateway.ualberta.ca/view.php?aid=7565

I haven't given the Tories a free ride. Given that I support them, why would I advocate for the recruitment of non-partisan leadership if I thought they were up to the task? How about that one, smart guy?

$1:
How is the leader of a political party non-partisan?

No MPs in the house. No caucus to lead. No voters to realistically worry about. Nothing to lose. Everything to gain.

$1:
I'm basing my assessment on things she's said into microphones with the cameras rolling.

The cameras were rolling on Mike Duffy live when she said she hadn't done any of those things. So, if we're basing this on thisngs she's said into microphones with the cameras rolling, your rumors and innuendo have zero credibility.

$1:
It doesn't work "just fine" at all. Two parties are consistently over-represented. The NDP and the Greens are consistently under-represented. Worse than that, it skews people's choices because they too often vote to keep somebody out instead of getting somebody they really want in. It leads to an excess of partisan bickering.

Neither the Greens nor the NDP are underrepresented. If they can't get the votes necessary to win in a given riding, then that's simply their problem, not the system's. Proportional representation sounds a death knell for direct accountability, and democracy.

$1:
You've again presented a straight list system as the only choice as well. As I pointed out before, that shows that you either don't understand what's being considered or you are seeking to misinform others.

I understand the propositions just fine. They simply don't hold water. Period.

$1:
If I need an education on anything, I'll seek out somebody who knows what they are talking about, thanks.

That would clearly be an improvement over whoever you've been asking about the topic. Like I said, I'm right here for your benefit.

1  2  3  Next