Canada Kicks Ass
Green Party

LABBATTS50 @ Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:05 am

Can somebody who is "into" politics shed some insight into these guys for me. Obviously their name gives it way as far as what they stand for and that is cool, however is this it? Do they have any other platforms? Such as National Defence, Trade and commerce, first nations, ect ect ect?

Patrick_Ross @ Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:25 pm

Yes and no.

The Green Party has been trying to emphasise its foreign policy recently, as the one area they want to contest the Tories on. However, to date, their foreign policy has consisted of the following:

-Be nice to Iran
-Focus on rebuilding in Afghanistan despite Taliban hostilities
-And (if you ask Kevin Potvin) 9/11 was actually a false flag operation carried out by either Israel, or the United States itself.

Their energy policy insists that $100 million amongst all the provinces will be enough to build enough renewable energy sources to replace oil, gas and coal.

DrCaleb @ Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:01 pm

LABBATTS50 LABBATTS50:
Can somebody who is "into" politics shed some insight into these guys for me. Obviously their name gives it way as far as what they stand for and that is cool, however is this it? Do they have any other platforms? Such as National Defence, Trade and commerce, first nations, ect ect ect?

They have a platform pretty much like all other parties, but instead of the focus of the party being the party itself, it's the environment.

http://www.greenparty.ca/en/policy

From many of their policies on Defense, spending, first nations etc, I'd say they were very Red Tory.

On Social stuff, healthcare, daycare they are still worrking out details, but look like they are more Liberal on that.

Patrick_Ross @ Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:21 pm

Actually, that was a trait of early Reform party policy. On a wide variety of policy issues there were no explicit policies, although policy principles were enunciated.

Rihx @ Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:57 am

Honestly, Im beginning to loose faith in the Green Party. It used to be fairly conservative because of its origins....

While I havent confirmed this, it was mentioned on a CFRA political panel last week that Elizabeth May wants to cut funding to the Canadian Forces by 50% Which would be the end of the military, 25,000 people out of work, we would never recover.

Patrick_Ross @ Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:28 pm

The Green Party, like the Liberal party, seem to be unqualified beleivers in the soft power tactics of the new internationalism.

Unfortunately, neither are wise enough to realize that a country still needs enough strategic capabilities (hard power) to back that up.

Furthermore, the Liberals argue that they would give Canada an independent foreign policy. But when they want to rely on foriegn countries' capabilities to back up Canadian interests, that, by nature, itsn't an independent foreign policy. It's a very dependent foreign policy.

We would see no better under the current Green Party.