Canada Kicks Ass
NDP attempts to ban trans-fats

Previous  1  2

Marcarc @ Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:29 am

mmmmmmmmmhat!<br /> <br /> I've actually changed my tune quite a bit since that old post, here's why: Transfats have been in food for at least 20 years, then suddenly about two to three years ago we suddenly hear all the nightmare stories about it. Coincidentally this is also about the time that many food manufacturers announced they were limiting its use and phasing it out. In other words, it became an issue only when manufacturers had figured out how to replace it. The dangers of trans fats were first mentioned over a decade ago, which means industry probably knew far longer. However, I would like to see the fine print on the ban-I notice transfats are still out there and it's way past Nov.24. This, like labelling, could be one of those 'phased in' over ten years while manufacturers get subsidies to figure out how to replace them. If that sounds cynical I suggest you check out the acrylamide story and the governments response to it.<br /> <br /> I have another hat so I'll change that claim to: if the NDP get elected I'll eat it with tobasco!

Marcarc @ Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:37 am

I note they capped it at 5%, when canola oil has 3%...interesting. Even 1 g per day can do significant damage...here's some more food for thought:<br /> <br /> (Dec. 10) -- Doctors have warned of the dangers of trans-fats (trans fatty acids) , especially for those at risk for heart disease. Now Canada is considering outlawing them! One Canadian lawmaker says it's not enough to label grocery store food containing trans-fats -- a potentially harmful fat used in a lot of processed foods. <br /> <br /> Anne McLellan, Minister of Health, said "We know trans fatty acids are really bad for you and it's the duty and obligation to eliminate them from the food supply system altogether, not just label them. We will have the best science based nutritional labeling of any country in the world," commented Todd Martin, a member of Parliment.<br /> <br /> But it may not be so easy in Canada. That's because the North American Free Trade Agreement would block Canada from banning any product unless the U.S. does the same. Here in the U.S., a handful of food chains have recently announced they will no longer use trans-fats.<br />

Guest @ Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:27 am

I think the NDP lost there Police Unions and Associations sponsorship to the Reform/ alliance/conservatives.<br /> <br /> Yes that gives them room to manouver.<br /> <br /> Go Jack Go, by, by to Trans Fatty!<br /> <br /> Dennis Baker <br /> <br /> <br /> <br />

Previous  1  2