Canada Kicks Ass
Death Rituals Valuable and Comforting Part of Religion

JBG @ Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:02 am

My beloved stepfather of almost 40 years passed away in the early morning hours of December 24, 2013. I have known him for over 40 years and my parents married each other just under 40 years ago. Thus, he has been part of my life for all but the first 15 or so years. The funeral was December 26, 2013. It occurs rapidly after the death, as mandated by my religion, Judaism.

Religion gives structure to life and comfort in the face of tragedy. In Judaism, the burial occurs almost immediately after the death, allowing enough time only for civil authorities to do their work and relatives to gather. In this case, we logistically couldn't arrange the funeral for Christmas Day because of the lack of workers to handle the movement of the corpse from the rehabilitation facility where he died to the cemetery, and to handle grave excavation. The mourning period, also, is attenuated, and both Numbers and Deuteronomy cap it at the 30 day limit that applied when Moses and Aaron passed on.

I learned of this comforting and logical sequence on January 5, 1973 when my father passed away. The Rabbi's education, in many respects, brought me back to the Jewish faith., Indescribably poor Hebrew School and Religious School education drove me away right after my Bar Mitzvah. I cleaned out my desk at Hebrew School on May 4, 1970, two (2) days after the Bar Mitzvah. While I am not particularly religious, I am practicing, and proudly so, largely though not entirely as a result of my Rabbi's explanations on the day my father passed away.

Religion seems to have its avid supporters and detractors. Both miss the mark. Starting with the obvious, the stories about Jesus, Mohamed, the Garden of Eden or parting of the seas probably can't be taken literally. To ask this is to risk the ignoring of the more positive aspects of religion since many of the stories stretch credibility. No suspension of disbelief common to novel reading is really possible.

On the other hand, denigration of religion has gone too far. Religion and not its application has been blamed for wars, terror attacks and just about every misfortune known to man. This zealous support or opposition misses the mark.

Thus, neither the devout religionists or atheists have this right. And this post will offend all equally.

Comments?

Tyler_1 @ Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:17 am

I am not equally offended, but thanks for trying. :D

sandorski @ Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:04 am

Sorry to hear of your loss.

However, there is no good reason to hold on to untruths, no matter if they give people comfort. Comfort can be found outside of Myth, it happens all the time, even among the religious.

A shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen, the soothing words of loved ones have done what no god has ever done, express Love, Compassion, and Hope.

Brenda @ Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:12 am

I'm sorry for your loss.

I think 'to each their own'.

ShepherdsDog @ Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:03 pm

Christians and Muslims usually comfort each other with the idea that death is but a mere temporary parting of the way and that they`ll be reunited with each other in the afterlife. Judaism makes no promise that there is going to be an afterlife. This is a better approach because people try and live their lives to the fullest. Atrocities aren`t committed in the hope that they`ll be rewarded in an afterlife, nor are people willing to accept suffering in this life without question in the hope that their lot will improve in the next, as a result of their sufferings and depredations.

Help others and yourself to enjoy life, as it`s the only one we have.

JBG @ Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:54 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Christians and Muslims usually comfort each other with the idea that death is but a mere temporary parting of the way and that they`ll be reunited with each other in the afterlife. Judaism makes no promise that there is going to be an afterlife. This is a better approach because people try and live their lives to the fullest. Atrocities aren`t committed in the hope that they`ll be rewarded in an afterlife, nor are people willing to accept suffering in this life without question in the hope that their lot will improve in the next, as a result of their sufferings and depredations.

Help others and yourself to enjoy life, as it`s the only one we have.

Just perfect.

Along the lines of the injunction to "pray as if everything depended upon God, but act as if everything depended upon ourselves." (link to one of many sources)]