Canada Kicks Ass
GOODENOW GONE!

Hester @ Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:01 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=131693

I was surprised that it happened so soon, but I figured he'd be gone sooner or later. Too bad it wasn't 320 days ago.
After 300 days his opening position was a 24% paycut for those he represented. The offers made in Feb look freakin' good right about now.

Synt4x @ Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:10 pm

thanks for the post. yea not surprised. and but curuosu why like you said not 300 days a go.

Ripcat @ Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:40 pm

His estimated $2.5 million per year salary is needed to prop up the NHLPA pension plan.

Streaker @ Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:38 pm

Good riddance. 8)

Tman1 @ Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:44 pm

Now all thats left is Gary "I suck" Bettman.

RoyalHighlander @ Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:03 pm

Tman1 Tman1:

he won though LOL

Tman1 @ Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:05 pm

RoyalHighlander RoyalHighlander:
Tman1 Tman1:

he won though LOL

True but then again we wouldn't have missed a year of Hockey because of him :wink:

canucker @ Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:13 pm

Tman1 Tman1:
Tman1 Tman1:

he won though LOL

True but then again we wouldn't have missed a year of Hockey because of him :wink:

Exactly... Bettman is the one that needs to go. He doesn't know how to market the sport... I doubt he even really understands the sport!! He should go back to basketball. :evil:

The Hoser @ Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:20 pm

Is it just me or does Bettman look like a elf? What with the short stature and the pointed ears... I think Santa is the one screwing with hockey of late!

Patrick_Ross @ Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:04 pm

canucker canucker:
Tman1 Tman1:
Tman1 Tman1:

he won though LOL

Exactly... Bettman is the one that needs to go. He doesn't know how to market the sport... I doubt he even really understands the sport!! He should go back to basketball. :evil:

Both needed to go. Bettman, for his part, is a fucking idiot who knows nothing about hockey.
He couldn't be bothered to try and keep hockey in Winnipeg or Quebec City... but apparently, it's alright to have teams in Phoenix, Anaheim, San Jose, Florida and Carolina that could barely GIVE tickets away.

exroofer @ Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:41 pm

Hockey should not try to be all things to all people. God forbid another glowing puck episiode. If our market is 20 to 25 teams then so be it. Let places where they actually say "ice hockey" out loud lose their teams and see one back in Winnepeg or Hamilton.
Let's face it, you can't really sell hockey to people who don't know what it's like to skate on a frozen pond. Maybe sooner or later they will quit chasing the money and start playing again. Maybe make the playoffs open to a european tree so it would truly be world wide. Regular season travel schedules would never permit it but playoffs would be doable. Instead of trying to put an arena in bloody Florida let's have some coverage from Sweden or Belarus or wherever they play well enough to deserve a team.
Somewhere where some kid's mom shows up at the arena to make coffee for a 5 am practice.

Hester @ Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:50 pm

I think our playoffs are far too long already. 2 months is too much. What I wouldn't mind seeing is fewer teams in the playoffs. If only 8 teams made it, that would mean three rounds instead of four.

Then, maybe, a final between NA and Europe. A one-off would be best (in someplace like Toronto, it has to be a huge hockey city), but maybe a two-game total goals (home and home?), maybe a best of 3,5, or 7.

Synt4x @ Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:53 pm

Hester Hester:
I think our playoffs are far too long already. 2 months is too much. What I wouldn't mind seeing is fewer teams in the playoffs. If only 8 teams made it, that would mean three rounds instead of four.

Then, maybe, a final between NA and Europe. A one-off would be best (in someplace like Toronto, it has to be a huge hockey city), but maybe a two-game total goals (home and home?), maybe a best of 3,5, or 7.

now its starting to sounds like a street hockey tournament

Ripcat @ Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:58 am

I like alot of teams going to the playoffs. Keeps the regular season interesting right up till the end.

Look at baseball. They play something like 160 regular season games and alot of the teams should be calling it quits after 40 games.

Regina @ Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:10 am

Bettman is just the mouth piece for the owners, they decided to lock the doors. Bettman was the front man with the message to the union and a single voice to deal with. Goodnow on the other hand may have lead his group down the yellow brick road with assurances that the owners would fold, and from what I've heard personally from a couple players, he did that. He lost the poker game and now he's out......some of that is pride as well.