Canada Kicks Ass
NHL/ NHLPA

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

truecdneh @ Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:46 am

Hester Hester:
I think the league and the players have lost lots of fans. But I'm not sure any of them care when most of the profits come from joes like me. Luxury boxes, merchandise, tv revenue, advertising pays the bills. With ESPN not taking their option of another year might wake them up. I feel the players aren't doing it for the money but for their "fair share." It has gotten stupid and the players are hurting the game and shooting themselves in the head. The US doesn't care about the sport the way that we do, I would not be surprised to see a few teams fold. It would make for a better game anyway.
In their 11th hour talks back in Jan/Feb, the players offered a salary cap (49 million, I think) and have since rescinded it. But it was on the table and there is no way that the owners will let that go now. The players showed signs of breaking then, they let the owners in the drivers seat. Let's see what happens, I hope something happens soon. Maybe Rudy Guiliani's new league? :D

Yeah.. I don't know if they'll lose that many fans but it will be interesting.. I think the thing that bothers people is that its never an arguement about the quality of the game or sportsmanship or anything to that effect. I think people are annoyed because it always has to do with money. A lot like the US policies as a matter of fact. Lets face it. We know they didn't invade Iraq to save the human kind from Saddam and his 'WMD'. They invaded for the same reason they want to start destroying one of the last pure wildlife reserves in North America. Oil. Anyways, I retract. That is for another forum.

canucker @ Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:03 pm

$1:
NHL, NHLPA finish 10-hour CBA session

TSN.ca Staff with CP files

6/1/2005 9:37:15 PM

The NHL and NHL Players' Association resumed labour negotiations on Wednesday, breaking down league and team revenues in a 10-hour meeting.

Both sides will go back to the table for a full-blown bargaining session on Thursday, with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow expected to be in attendence.

Wednesday's meeting was the 17th session since the season was cancelled Feb. 16.

The NHLPA roster Wednesday featured senior director Ted Saskin, outside counsel John McCambridge, associate counsel Ian Pulver, players' executive committee president Trevor Linden and vice-president Vincent Damphousse as well as two union financial people. The league was represented by chief legal officer Bill Daly, Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, outside counsel Bob Batterman, NHL general counsel David Zimmerman, lawyer Shep Goldfein and other financial figures.

Representing the league Thursday will be Bettman, Daly, Goldfein, Zimmerman, director of hockey operations Colin Campbell, New Jersey Devils CEO and GM Lou Lamoriello, board of governors chairman Harley Hotchkiss of the Calgary Flames and Nashville Predators owner Craig Leipold.

The NHLPA will have Goodenow, Saskin, Pulver, director of business relations Mike Gartner, McCambridge, Detroit Red Wings veteran player Brendan Shanahan, and the players' executive committee: Linden, Damphousse, Bill Guerin, Daniel Alfredsson, Arturs Irbe, Trent Klatt and Bob Boughner.

The sides gathered in Chicago for two days of talks last week after conducting a four-day session in New York the previous week.

The majority of the talks last week centred on breaking down league and team revenues. Both sides discussed the report issued by former U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission chairman Arthur Levitt.

In February 2004, Levitt completed a 10-month study of NHL finances, which determined 19 of the league's 30 teams averaged $18 million in losses during the 2002-03 season while just 11 averaged $6.4 million in profits.

dennis_is_canadian @ Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:40 pm

If I hear that there was good dialect and they have cautious optimism that they will soon make a deal after tommorows meeting I am going to personally drive down to Chicago, New York, Toronto or where ever the NHL and NHLPA are meeting and give em' all a swift Canadian kick in the ass.

If brilliant business men who are paid good money to run a league and hammer out the details cannot make a deal after all this time they shouldn't be running anything. Then again, they will probably end up becomming politicians.

canucker @ Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:54 pm

dennis_is_canadian dennis_is_canadian:
If I hear that there was good dialect and they have cautious optimism that they will soon make a deal after tommorows meeting I am going to personally drive down to Chicago, New York, Toronto or where ever the NHL and NHLPA are meeting and give em' all a swift Canadian kick in the ass.

LOL :lol: I can relate.

canucker @ Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:59 pm

Update: Extra extra read all about it!!!

This guy is great for "unofficial" info. Looks like they are trying their darndest to have a deal by July 1, Canada Day.

JR sounds off This guy... :roll: :wink:

Bigboy @ Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:04 am

canucker canucker:

This guy is great for "unofficial" info. Looks like they are trying their darndest to have a deal by July 1, Canada Day.

I wouldnt have to much faith i'm almost hoping the League dies and they give us the Stanley Cup back! but at the same time i like the canucks so i dont want it to happen

Tman1 @ Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:05 am

Bigboy Bigboy:
canucker canucker:

I wouldnt have to much faith i'm almost hoping the League dies and they give us the Stanley Cup back! but at the same time i like the canucks so i dont want it to happen

Who rocked the Canucks last year? I think the Flames did.

Bigboy @ Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:06 am

yep, the same team that choked in the final game..

canucker @ Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:09 am

I believe there will be a deal, very soon, if not by the 1st, then soon after. They need to have one, both the NHLPA and the NHL. They won't let another season go by.

Tman1 @ Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:10 am

Bigboy Bigboy:

Least they made it to the final game. :wink:

Bigboy @ Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:11 am

Tman1 Tman1:
Bigboy Bigboy:

[BF]

canucker @ Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:14 am

Tman1 Tman1:
Bigboy Bigboy:

Remember '94?

Tman1 @ Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:29 pm

canucker canucker:
Tman1 Tman1:
Bigboy Bigboy:

Remember '94?

Nah, is it something to remember? :wink:

J/K yah I remember

twister @ Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:34 pm

Tman1 Tman1:
Bigboy Bigboy:
canucker canucker:

Who rocked the Canucks last year? I think the Flames did.

ya you could say they rocked them.. game 7 yep thats a sweep.....just like detroit... ya you rocked them too.. and sanjose.. yep rocked them.. then you lose.. to the tampa Bay lightning.. hmm who rocked who.....
ride a hot goalie.. kipper and you can go anywhere.. until that goalie falters.......

twister @ Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:35 pm

Canucks will be nowhere once hockey resumes.. no naslund.. no bertuzzi... but we still have cloutier.... oh god no.....

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next