Canada Kicks Ass
A proposal for immigration reform

1  2  3  Next

andyt @ Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:25 am

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:aN8TXPH-2gAJ:www.sfu.ca/~grubel/_private/The%2520Fiscal%2520Burden%2520of%2520Recent%2520Canadian%2520Immigrants.do

V. Proposed Remedy to the Economic Costs of Immigrants in the Welfare State

Canadians have the right to ask their government to change the existing immigrant selection process that results in the economic costs presented above and that they end up bearing through a lower standard of living.
A new policy that would achieve this goal is based on the principle that the selection process should be driven by the private sector. Instead of having civil servants and politicians determine the quality and quantity of immigrants, these agents of government should play a subsidiary role of assisting the private selection process and screening potential immigrants to limit risks to public health and security.

In rough outline, under the proposed selection procedure, temporary work visas will be issued to applicants who can prove that they have an offer for employment in Canada. Once in Canada, the temporary work visas are renewable if the applicants remain employed. After one or two such renewals, the workers are eligible for permanent resident status and ultimately citizenship. If they cannot find work after a reasonable time, the holders of the temporary work visas will be required to leave Canada.
This is not the place to discuss the many details that have to be worked out to put such a scheme into effect. However, three important details are crucial and worth discussing briefly here.12

First, the issuance of temporary work permits must be limited to the existence of employment contracts that stipulate the payment of wages at least equal to the average wages earned in the private sector in the region of planned employment. This rider is necessary to prevent the inflow of immigrants with low earnings and expected tax payments, which are at the heart of the fiscal burdens discussed above.

Second, immigrants holding the temporary work visas may be accompanied by their spouses and children under the age of 18. Other relatives may not accompany them but after the immigrants have attained landed immigrant status, they can have their parents and grandparents join them in Canada. Before they are granted permission to do so, they must post a bond to cover the future costs these relatives will impose on the social programs.
Third, the process used in the issuance of the temporary work visas must be simple and quick to meet the needs of both employers and immigrants. For this reason, the government must apply the required resources to check promptly on the health and security conditions of the applicants.
All bureaucratic procedures must be streamlined, which undoubtedly will raise the incidence of allowing unsuitable persons to enter Canada. However, the consequences of such mistakes are minimized by the fact that such individuals will be weeded out through the process of renewing the temporary work visas.

It remains to be seen what under the proposed system the actual level of immigration would be. However, this level should not be of particular concern since the proposed system will bring immigrants in numbers that during times of prosperity reflect the absorptive capacity of the private sector. During less prosperous times, some of holders of temporary work visas will not find work so that they will be required to leave the country. As a result, immigration will reduce cyclical fluctuations in labour markets and assure that the supply of immigrants does not exceed the economy’s absorptive capacity.

The preceding discussion involves many rules and regulations that need to be enforced by governments. Such enforcement will be successful only with the cooperation of the private sector, which can be achieved in turn by the proper structure of incentives and financial obligations, which can be built into the overall design of the proposed new system for the selection of immigrants.

martin14 @ Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:20 pm

Nice ideas,but ...

You wont find many employers willing to do the damn paperwork for foreign workers.
An incentive program would help.
But Toronto and Vancouver should be closed to visas for the next while.. spread them out.

I would prefer these temporary visas for the holder only,
if families really want to emigrate, they can wait a bit.

Screw family class, it should be closed.. period.
spouse and minor children ONLY.

We already have huge problems with the enforcement rules we have,
with appeals and waiting and all the rest of it, that also needs to be
completely overhauled.

andyt @ Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:29 pm

martin14 martin14:
Nice ideas,but ...

You wont find many employers willing to do the damn paperwork for foreign workers.
An incentive program would help.
But Toronto and Vancouver should be closed to visas for the next while.. spread them out.

I would prefer these temporary visas for the holder only,
if families really want to emigrate, they can wait a bit.

Screw family class, it should be closed.. period.
spouse and minor children ONLY.

We already have huge problems with the enforcement rules we have,
with appeals and waiting and all the rest of it, that also needs to be
completely overhauled.

Most of what you say is covered in the article, including the overhaul. The incentive for employers is that they get workers they otherwise can't find - if it's easier to fill the position with Canadians, that's a good thing. As the article said, the govt needs to reform immigration so the granting of these temp visas is quick and easy, but the wages offered must be commensurate with what's paid in Canada.

The author, in another part of this paper, makes the point that the immigration system we have now not only hurts low wage earners, but also has depressed professional wages by 6%. It's a bad deal all around.

Brenda @ Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:46 pm

Yeah, been there done that. Paperwork is a big issue for them. They rather tell their customers they have to wait because they are so so so busy, than fill out the paperwork for an LMO.

The biggest error that is made is that people (including the government AND the "normal" people) think bosses want to hire foreigners. They don't. Too much of a hassle. How many times I have heard: come back when you can legally work in Canada...

andyt @ Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:01 pm

Brenda Brenda:
Yeah, been there done that. Paperwork is a big issue for them. They rather tell their customers they have to wait because they are so so so busy, than fill out the paperwork for an LMO.

The biggest error that is made is that people (including the government AND the "normal" people) think bosses want to hire foreigners. They don't. Too much of a hassle. How many times I have heard: come back when you can legally work in Canada...

Great - they should hire Canadians first anyway. Only if they really need someone they can't find in Canada should they be hiring foreigners.

Brenda @ Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:05 pm

andyt andyt:
Brenda Brenda:

Great - they should hire Canadians first anyway. Only if they really need someone they can't find in Canada should they be hiring foreigners.

There are rules and regs for that, and they have to prove they can't find a Canadian, and have tried for a few months. (It's either 3 or 6, I forgot)
They must have advertised in certain ways (newspaper, JobBank, that kind of thing) before they will get their LMO approved.

The fact you didn't know this says enough tho...

kenmore @ Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:09 pm

Only skilled employable immigrants should be allowed into the country. If they are married just the husband, wife and children should be allowed entry. ( real children of the couple). They should have to prove employment. Selling flowers and running a Seven Eleven or gas bar shouldn't count. They should be fluent in one of the official languages and that means written and spoken. Immigrants should have to report to Canadian Customs yearly until they obtain citizenship and if after 5 yrs they do not apply for citizenship they should be deported.

desertdude @ Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:18 pm

Brenda Brenda:
andyt andyt:
Brenda Brenda:

There are rules and regs for that, and they have to prove they can't find a Canadian, and have tried for a few months. (It's either 3 or 6, I forgot)
They must have advertised in certain ways (newspaper, JobBank, that kind of thing) before they will get their LMO approved.

The fact you didn't know this says enough tho...

Thats correct I was going to say the same thing, I looked into aswell. And even when all the paper work is done takes up to anything upto a year to get the Visa processed and I don't think any employer has that kind of patience.

And also not surprising people are not aware of it. Most armchair immigration experts think you just sign a form and your off to Canada. There are already a ton of hoops one has to jump through.

There is a pretty strict system in place although not perfect it keeps refining. The latest I heard was Bussiness class is on freeze. And family class is also being reviewed.

Brenda @ Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:46 pm

I just read the whole piece, and basicly, what it says, is already in place ,with the difference that once you start working, you can apply for PR through the PNP program.
When you lose your job, you have a problem (theoretically), because your work permit is linked to your job. No job, no work permit, no legal reason to stay. If you find a new job, your new employer has to go through the whole works of LMO and shit again.

LMO's are mostly usable/used by hospitals, trucking companies and all that, because they have a recognized, chronic shortage of personnel. It won't help the small business owner who can't find a bookkeeper, because that is not a job listed as shortage. It is up to the employer to notify the government they can't find personnel, but hey, businesses and government? That doesn't work well together...

I also must stress that Temporary work permits are NOT immigration visas. They are WORK permits, nothing more, nothing less.

desertdude @ Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:50 pm

Basically most of the crap people making noise about somehow having a red carpet policy doesn't exist. Nothing new actually, but only if people actually really look into and stop making poor and misjudged presumptions

Brenda @ Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:52 pm

desertdude desertdude:
Basically most of the crap people making noise about somehow having a red carpet policy doesn't exist. Nothing new actually, but only if people actually really look into and stop making poor and misjudged presumptions

Ahhhh, Utopia! :D

desertdude @ Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:59 pm

Close ;)

EyeBrock @ Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:07 pm

desertdude desertdude:

Tell 'em you are fleeing oppression, burn your passport and you are in mate! One week tops.....

Better hurry before all this new refugee stuff comes in!

It took me 2 years. That was good, these days UK migrants can expect 3-4 years as standard.

desertdude @ Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind :D

But whats the rate of illegal immigration Vs legal. And I'm not really well informed in this subject but is there also some kind of border incursion like there is with USA and Mexico.

AFAIK Canada does not share its borders with anyone else other than the US and its pretty far off geographicaly from the usual suspects for them to reach canada overland or sea.

Having said that I do agree that the Tamil incursions are setting a bad example and should be stopped.

But what we are discussing here is legal immigration which as you yourself have mentioned is no walk in the park.

EyeBrock @ Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:46 pm

It isn't DD. But, it's worth it in the end. Start now.

1  2  3  Next