Canada Kicks Ass
Bring Back Photo Radar

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Brenda @ Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:21 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
Brenda Brenda:
So, Yogi, what you are saying is this (or more, what the article you posted says, and I assume you agree with it...):
First, let's teach our fellow countrymen how to drive properly, and then punish them for the mistakes they make.

I AGREE!! Learn how to f*cking drive, because seriously, Canadians SUCK at driving.

It's not Canadians that suck at driving. It's all the fucking idiots that teach them. And the idiots at the licence offices that seem to hand licences out like Cracker Jack prizes.
Seriously, when I see some driving instructor in a friggin turban telling his student driver to turn left on a red light, it really makes me fucking wonder.
(yes I actually got to witness this as the fucker was the 5th car in line that turned left on a red and used up my advanced left turn green light.)
However, my personal favourite was the Chinese drivng instructor with his student drivng the wrong fucking way down a one-way street!!

How is that worse than a daddy teaching his daughter how to drive the way he was taught by either his dad or these instructors?

I don't get why driving schools are voluntary. Make it mandatory, then you can supervise them, and take their licenses away when they screw up too many times.

Lemmy @ Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:01 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Lemmy, I think a picture of your vehicle's license plate sent to you in the mail is not an invasion of privacy. Your picture is already taken hundreds of times a day by private security cameras and there are already red light cameras, etc. There are already traffic cameras that simply monitor congestion and broadcast it on the internet and TV news. There are far worse things already out there. Drive on the 407 ETR, for example. If you think you're protecting privacy, that ship sailed along time ago, at least in this area.

I am, personally, in favour of photo-radar. We had it in Ontario once and, though I was initially opposed to it on philosophical grounds, I changed my opinion upon observing the results. The system worked. I've been driving Highway 401 in Toronto (arugably the most travelled and most dangerous highway in North America) my whole life and, for the first time, it felt safe to drive. People slowed down.

My arguement was with your blanket statment that "Liberals should like it...". Liberals should not like it because it IS an intrusion. There is no comparison between monitoring traffic with video and pressing charges against people electronically. It's Big Brother and it's a hell of a slip on the slippery slope to move from electronic public surveillance to pressing charges through electronic public surveillance. Your "there are far worse things out there" statement is not a logical justification. One wrong doesn't justify another.

PostFactum @ Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:20 am

Brenda Brenda:
I don't get why driving schools are voluntary. Make it mandatory, then you can supervise them, and take their licenses away when they screw up too many times.

Brenda, and where is the democracy, the "right to be uneducated clown on the road?" Be sure that making it mandatory there will be a group of people who won't like it. They'll be fighting for nothing like gays for their rights or TEA(who just need more money in their wallets and most of them don't know anything about tax system of the country and it's main function and etc. Anyway I'll agree making it mandatory) Because I'm always finding the reasons for not learning how to drive (getting driver license) :D ).

Brenda @ Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:26 am

$1:
Brenda, and where is the democracy, the "right to be uneducated clown on the road?"

That right ceased to exist when the Drivers License was invented.

My father (70) never got his drivers license and is completely happy with the fact that he is not allowed to drive.

bootlegga @ Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:45 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Why not bring back photo radar? At least on major highways, and areas where speed is known to be a problem or poses a substantial risk (eg. school zones). The real reason people are opposed to it is because they want to break the law and get away with it, which is not a valid reason at all.

- Conservatives should like it because it is a pure choice: You speed and pay the fine, or you can obey the speed limit and not get a fine

- Liberals should like it because it generates revenue for public services

- Safety advocates should like it because if done properlyit reduces speeding.

- Everyone should like it because police officers can focus more ton other activities, rather than writing speeding tickets and spending all that time in court.

"Properly" means the following:

- Areas where photo radar is in use should be clearly marked with prominent signage, and photo radar devices should openly displayed, such on overhead posts, rather than concealed in unmarked vehicles behind bushes.

- Trafic police are not taken off the street, but can spend more time patrolling for other types of dangerous driving and pursuing more dangerous crimes

This is not 1994 any more, people aren't as hysterical about cameras, least of all conservatives, who were the most vocal critics of photo radar and had Mike Harris scrap it here in Ontario but tend to champion the security state and the use of public surveilance nowadays.

We still have photo radar in Alberta and it amounts to nothing less than a speeding tax. All that happens is the owner of the vehicle pays a $100-200 and nothing else is said or done. No demerits (and therefore no increase of insurance), no stern talking to by an officer, no public humiliation as others drive by, etc.

I support using photo radar in high speed zones, say anything over 70 kmh (where it is unsafe for an officer to hide in the bushes and jump out to stop an offender), but using it in school zones and residential areas provides zero deterrent. Why? Because you don't even realize you were speeding until days later when a ticket comes in the mail. It doesn't provide any safety whatsoever, just the illusion of safety.

If I ran the police commission in Edmonton, photo radar would in place 24/7 on our high speed roadways (Yellowhead, Whitemud and the Anthony Henday), while traffic officers would enforce speed limits in school zones and other 50 kmh areas.

as Zip said, Photo radar is nothing more than a cash grab.

Lemmy @ Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:21 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
I support using photo radar in high speed zones, say anything over 70 kmh (where it is unsafe for an officer to hide in the bushes and jump out to stop an offender), but using it in school zones and residential areas provides zero deterrent. Why? Because you don't even realize you were speeding until days later when a ticket comes in the mail. It doesn't provide any safety whatsoever, just the illusion of safety.

I agree, except I'd say "only on 100km/hr roads". I should have said that in my last post. Where I observed photo-radar working successfully was on the 401. I wouldn't support its use anywhere other than on the major freeways.

bootlegga bootlegga:
as Zip said, Photo radar is nothing more than a cash grab.

People who speed are people who create an excess burden on the health-care and insurance systems and SHOULD pay an excess amount. But again, I support the use of photo-radar only on major, high traffic routes.

Gunnair @ Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:42 am

Having got a couple of photo-radar tickets in BC, I was not a fan... of paying them. But, I liked photo radar, both on highways and city streets, it certainly slowed traffic down some. And yes, it's a cash grab... so what? As said, it's a tax on speeders.

Yogi @ Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:24 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Well Yogi,

You can't use a few months of experience with poorly-implemented new technology 16 years ago as proof of anything. In 1994!!! Come on! There are a number of things Ontario did very poorly: they hid mobile cameras in unmarked vehicles and ambushed drivers. What I would do is put it on all 400-series highways, and those big electronic signs you see over the highway that just say "DRIVE DEFENSIVELY" most of the time would instead say something like "PHOTO RADAR IN USE NEXT 25 KM". The cameras themselves would be conspicuously mounted instead of hidden. And I would not use them in the middle of Butfuck nowhere where its not needed, they would be in targeted areas with high rates of speed-related accidents, school zones, etc.

Lemmy, I think a picture of your vehicle's license plate sent to you in the mail is not an invasion of privacy. Your picture is already taken hundreds of times a day by private security cameras and there are already red light cameras, etc. There are already traffic cameras that simply monitor congestion and broadcast it on the internet and TV news. There are far worse things already out there. Drive on the 407 ETR, for example. If you think you're protecting privacy, that ship sailed along time ago, at least in this area.

As for the "cash-grab" argument..so what? Don't want your cash grabbed, then don't speed. Besides, every dollar "grabbed" is a dollar less that they have to tax.

Really, if you're not intending to speed, your picture doesn't get taken, your cash doesn't get grabbed, what problem could you really have with it? Really, what? Admit it, you all want to break the law and get away with it, don't you?

I used the stats from 15+ years ago, because that's all there is, insofaras the 'Ontario Experiment' was short-lived. You responded as I expected! So, as promised, Here is 'more current' research, not only from Canada, but various parts of the world. All, presenting basically the same results, thusly, all coming to the same conclusion. CASH COW!

http://photoradarscam.com/

Personally speaking; "I agree with your sentiment "Don't feed the cow"! But for anyone to make the claim that " photo radar is all about safety" is simply a bold-faced lie"! Photo radar is only about the revenue and nothing else. It is not a deterrent except for the fact that " I know there is photo radar just around this curve- just over the next hill-etc. so I better slow down until I pass by it"! (my own thought process)
A cop, on the other hand, can easily generate $200,000 per year. His/her salary, with lots of overtime, is half that amount. And along with every ticket he/she writes comes a stern tounge lashing, and demerits. Now that IS a deterrent!

Brenda @ Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:28 am

Photo radar is there to make sure we follow the laws of the road. Why set a speed limit if no one is interested in actually checking if every body does? You might as well not set one at all, see how that works.

BeaverFever @ Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:52 pm

Well Yogi,
The claim of "cash cow" is irrelevant. Provincial lotteries are a cash cow. Should we ban them too? It's purely up to you whether you want to speed. In fact "cash cow" is a good thing as takes pressure off the taxpayer. You should be happy about that.

Of all the "criticism" raised on that site, only 1 concerns me (public safety - more on that below) the other claims are non-arguments (as above) or can easily be remedied through program design (i.e. camera maintenance). Driver behaviour can probably be modified by having the cameras placed at a permanent location and with clear signage, so everybody knows its a speed-enforced zone. As I said before, past practice foolishly was to use mobile hidden camera "traps" to ambush unsuspecting drivers. Obviously, if you don't know the camera's there, then you're going to speed. Even if driver behaviour can't be modified, at least we'll consistently enforce the law in those areas and those drivers won't be able to get away with it. Let them repeat offend and pay the escalating costs if the choose to do so.

Now, as I said above, the claim that cameras make roads less safe was a little unscientific. One study on that site claimed that traffic deaths fell after the camera was removed, from 1 to 0. It should be obvious why that's not valid research. Other studies on that site are similarly flawed; one simply shows that one town in Arizona had 7 more hit-and-run injury-crashes in the calendar year when cameras were installed and 3 more fatality crashes (all other types of crashes fell considerably). So...assuming those numbers are statistically significant and repeatable, are we to conclude that cameras cause people to speed away from crashes where they injure people? Or they cause fewer crashes but the crashes are deadlier for some reason? The website itself admits that it can't show cause and effect (i.e. prove that the camera was responsible for that small #). And perhaps their most central piece, alleges that cameras force drivers to look at their speedometers or brake hard when they see a camera. Well, guess what? You're supposed to glance at your speedometer once in a while, that's why it's mounted on the driver-side dashboard and not in the glove compartment. And don't drivers do that when they see a speed trap or posted speed limit sign, for that matter. I doubt cameras force drivers to stare for hours at their speedometer. If you knew that a highway had full photo radar enforcement and you didn't want to get caught, you wouldn't need to slow down with because you'd never let yourself get up to that speed.

Lemmy - I hear you where liberals stand philosophically, but I submit to you they've come to accept the level of surveillance posed by photo radar cameras. With Toronto police now putting crime surveillance cameras in downtown, and the other items I mentioned, I doubt most people would fear a ticket in the mail. I think the difference is that photo radar is (or should be) a picture of the car, not the driver. In Germany for instance, the vehicle's occupants are blacked out from any such photos before the ticket is issued. And, as I said, the camera doesn't take the picture unless you're speeding, and since the driver would know this will guarantee a photo radar ticket, we can assume they've given consent to have their vehicle's photo taken.

Here's one important part I should have added to my first post: If I were to implement photo radar, it would only catch those doing more that 15 over. No sense having universal enforcement for people doing 105 in a 100; 16 over is where you lose points, so I would enforce it at that level and I would deduct points. And if you're doing that speed, you're probably aware that you're speeding, as you're passing half the vehicles on the road.

Brenda @ Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:01 pm

$1:
In Germany for instance, the vehicle's occupants are blacked out from any such photos before the ticket is issued.

Not in the picture I have framed :lol:

In The Netherlands, they photograph from behind, license plate and usually car make and model.

BeaverFever @ Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:04 pm

Can you see people in your car?

Brenda @ Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:15 pm

Oh yes. On the picture you mean? Oh yes :lol: Without a shadow of a doubt :)

Reason? I think, but don't hang me up on that one, that it is not always the owner of the car speeding, and in Germany, you lose points. In The Netherlands, you don't. Or didn't, I don't know if that has changed. So if you can prove it was not you speeding, you don't lose points, or money, and the driver has to pay.

herbie @ Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:45 pm

$1:
The claim of "cash cow" is irrelevant. Provincial lotteries are a cash cow. Should we ban them too?

You choose to buy a lottery ticket and feed the cow.
Like comparing registering cars with long rifles, it ain't the same thing at all.
Photo-radar pretends to be about safety, punishes the owner not the driver, and removes justice and due process entirely from the equation.
Let a cop give the lecture and ticket the right person. I'm not paying the tickets or paying insurance hikes, or losing my license for employees speeding in my company trucks.

PluggyRug @ Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:59 pm

So I'm driving down this road at 80k, this brick wall jumps out in front..thud I'm dead.

So I'm driving down this road at 160k, this brick wall.....thud...am I now twice as dead.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next