Canada Kicks Ass
Court strikes down anti-prostitution laws

1  2  3  Next

andyt @ Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:17 am

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100928/national/bawdy_law_challenge

Good. Maybe now we'll get some sanity. Regulate it, don't criminalize it. 'Course with the Reformacons in power, there'll probably be some movement to cast the sinnners down, cause Jesus tells us so. (Unless of course it's a reformacon using a hooker - the right wing seems to be the worst for hypocrisy on this matter.)

BartSimpson @ Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:24 am

Figures a judge would strike down laws against whores. :?

Thanos @ Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:48 am

The Supreme Court has consistently ruled in favour of the existing laws so I won't expect this silly lower court ruling to stand for very long.

Liberalization of this smutty activity is just another phony chimera anyway. Places like Amsterdam have just as many problems with drug-addicted streetwalkers and vicious pimps as we do in North America. Putting the bright lights on the 'unionized' ones who are 'doing it because they want to' doesn't change that sad reality. Ditto with an evil shit-hole like Las Vegas, where they also use lies and propaganda to put a happy-face on this vile bullshit the same way that the Europeans do.

Drug addiction. Organized crime and psychopathic pimps getting rich. Children being raped. Spread of killer diseases. A hunting ground for serial killers. Broken homes and shattered families. A virtual slave-trade that women and young girls from all over the world disappear into and are never seen again. That's the reality of prostitution and always will be. Any attempts to put a silk hat and lipstick on this particular pig are simply disgusting.

andyt @ Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:00 pm

Thanos Thanos:

Drug addiction. Organized crime and psychopathic pimps getting rich. Children being raped. Spread of killer diseases. A hunting ground for serial killers. Broken homes and shattered families. A virtual slave-trade that women and young girls from all over the world disappear into and are never seen again. That's the reality of prostitution and always will be. Any attempts to put a silk hat and lipstick on this particular pig are simply disgusting.

All that under illegal prostitution. Let those who really do want to do this work do it legally and under control. Pass other laws if needed and enforce them to deal with sexual exploitation. Maybe there'd be more will to do so, if perfectly legitimate prostitution weren't painted with the same brush. Doubt if we'll ever be able to get eliminate prostitution, so harm reduction seems like the best strategy.

Or maybe just go after the johns - I believe Sweden has had some success doing that.

QBC @ Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:04 pm

Okay, your moral, social and legal condemnation of the oldest profession is all well and good Thanos. The only thing that really matters is, what is your plan to make it better, clean it up, stop it?

EyeBrock @ Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:19 pm

They should clean it up, take it away from residential areas.

The ladies should get clean needles and any support we can give them.

These women are victims.

The same losers will always pay for sex but driving it underground just makes it more likely that another Pickton will pounce.

I think the courts have it right in Ontario and the SCC should try and better protect these unfortunate women.

PluggyRug @ Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:20 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:

These women are victims.

The same losers will always pay for sex but driving it underground just makes it more likely that another Pickton will pounce.

I think the courts have it right in Ontario and the SCC should try and better protect these unfortunate women.

Agreed. Bring it into the open and regulate.

I'm sure McGuinty will find some way to tax the trade, HST on johnny the john.

bootlegga @ Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:23 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

These women are victims.

Agreed. Bring it into the open and regulate.

Don't forget tax too! :wink:

PluggyRug @ Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:24 pm

I just edited. :wink:

RUEZ @ Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:28 pm

andyt andyt:
(Unless of course it's a reformacon using a hooker - the right wing seems to be the worst for hypocrisy on this matter.)

Do tell. I'm gonna need some examples since you've made the accusation. You wouldn't just make something up like this without something to back it up would you?

CommanderSock @ Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:03 pm

Do it the German way. Legalize it, tax it, ban pimping, force the sex workers to go to for regular medical checkups, and create "brothels" that are government approved.

The problem with Holland is, they "sorta if" every law. From my understanding prostitution is not legal there, but it's not illegal either, a sort of gray area. The same with weed, illegal on paper. but cops turn a blind eye. So basically it's not really legal. The Germans actually made it work.

It would be nice for once to imitate a system that works (Germany), vs a system has failed so miserable (everywhere else basically).

Choban @ Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:07 pm

I think Andy ad Brock are correct, Thanos sadly yes these things are hand in hand with prostitution, the unfortunate thing is as Brock said there will always be those losers who will pay someone for sex. Laws need to discourage pimps and enable people working in the sex trade to do so safely.

Wada @ Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:44 pm

I agree with Commander Sock and Brock. [B-o]

BartSimpson @ Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:06 pm

QBC QBC:
Okay, your moral, social and legal condemnation of the oldest profession is all well and good Thanos. The only thing that really matters is, what is your plan to make it better, clean it up, stop it?

Castrate the customers as they are prosecuted. :evil:

Thanos @ Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:32 pm

QBC QBC:

I have no 'plan' as you put it. It was just an opinion. But any legalization or positive social recognition of this hideous and murderous 'profession'* would not be something I would ever support. Not morally, and not ever with my vote.

For those on the other side, who have fallen for a bunch of nonsense talk from some slick lawyers representing 'sex trade workers'*, just ask yourselves this. Is this something you would even want your sisters, your mothers, your daughters, or your nieces to be doing? If any of you answered in the affirmative, then I seriously suggest that you have a severe problem that's much, much worse than anything a bad ol' moralizer like myself may have.

* Biggest dodge of all time. Refer to something innately vile using terms that are properly restricted to the normal part of society. Use it often enough so the deviant seems less so with every usage. Then watch as a prostitute becomes regarded as equal to a factory worker or a teacher, or a drug dealer is now equivalent to shop at the mall, or a pimp slaver is just a variant of a human resouces department or a employment/headhunter agency. Cute trick, and strangely surprising that it still works so well.

1  2  3  Next