Canada Kicks Ass
Employers Say Gov TFWP Figures Inaccurate

1  2  Next

grainfedprairieboy @ Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:46 am

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... e20798778/

The other day I was in at Barcol Windows and Doors in Edmonton to place an order for half a dozen 10x14 commercial Bay doors. I was told it would take approximately 6 months if I am lucky, maybe longer. They are that far behind.

I have had an ad posted for a week for an unskilled inside general labourer to start at 21.00/hr + full benefits at 3 months plus + employer contributed RRSP + self phone and mileage allowance to get to work and haven't had a single inquiry.

My friend is closing his business not because of lack of customers but because he can't find anyone. Years of operating at full capacity without adequate help is starting to take it's toll on me too.

The social welfare system in Canada encourages unemployed people to not migrate to where the jobs are. Each month an extremely bad situation gets worse as more TFWs exit the system under the new rules and the labour shortage is exasperated.

All this just to pander to voters in Eastern Canada, screw the West. Liberal Tory same old story.

Canadian_Mind @ Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:09 am

I'd love to see the TFWP canned or greatly reduced in exchange for a TIWP (Temporary Interprovincial Workers Program). Keep the wages and the experience in Canada.

andyt @ Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:46 am

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
I'd love to see the TFWP canned or greatly reduced in exchange for a TIWP (Temporary Interprovincial Workers Program). Keep the wages and the experience in Canada.

What's the point of that? Those Canadians know their rights and won't take starvation wages - no good to the employer at all. What employers need to get their head around is paying wages that will actually attract the labor they need. And if they're willing to hire people from Asia sight unseen and pay their airfare and lodging, do the same for Canadians.

DrCaleb @ Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:51 am

andyt andyt:
Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:

What's the point of that? Those Canadians know their rights and won't take starvation wages - no good to the employer at all. What employers need to get their head around is paying wages that will actually attract the labor they need. And if they're willing to hire people from Asia sight unseen and pay their airfare and lodging, do the same for Canadians.

Canadians don't seem to want to work for $21 an hour either.

BartSimpson @ Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:52 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Canadians don't seem to want to work for $21 an hour either.

Why work when the government will pay you to agitate for a higher minimum wage all day?

bootlegga @ Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:03 am

grainfedprairieboy grainfedprairieboy:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/employers-say-temporary-foreign-worker-figures-are-not-accurate/article20798778/

The other day I was in at Barcol Windows and Doors in Edmonton to place an order for half a dozen 10x14 commercial Bay doors. I was told it would take approximately 6 months if I am lucky, maybe longer. They are that far behind.

I have had an ad posted for a week for an unskilled inside general labourer to start at 21.00/hr + full benefits at 3 months plus + employer contributed RRSP + self phone and mileage allowance to get to work and haven't had a single inquiry.

My friend is closing his business not because of lack of customers but because he can't find anyone. Years of operating at full capacity without adequate help is starting to take it's toll on me too.

The social welfare system in Canada encourages unemployed people to not migrate to where the jobs are. Each month an extremely bad situation gets worse as more TFWs exit the system under the new rules and the labour shortage is exasperated.

All this just to pander to voters in Eastern Canada, screw the West. Liberal Tory same old story.

$21/hour sounds like a lot of money ($3360/month assuming 40 hours/week), but with the high cost of living in Edmonton it isn't all that much.

Vacancy rates are just over 1% in Edmonton, so rent is very high and would suck up close to half the take home pay (about $2500/month). Tack on food, utilities and all the rest (nevermind student loan/car payments) and you're not getting ahead at all.

I agree that some people don't want to move across the country for work, but I can understand why - moving across the country for a job with an unknown company in a strange city where you likely have no friends or family is a daunting thing to do. It's even harder if you have a mortgage or other commitments (like an ex-wife/husband) to deal with.

How many here can say that they have done so themselves?

I've never moved across the country, but have gone outside of it to work (for almost three years in Asia) and it was without a doubt the toughest thing I've ever done.

andyt @ Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:13 am

Where has he posted the ad? Do those lazy scum back east even know about this position? And as I say, fro TFW's employers will pay their flight and accommodation. I would be very surprised even if he posted his ad in BC that he wouldn't get takers if the job is guaranteed (so you don't move all that way for nothing) and a solid, permanent position. Even more so if you posted this back east.

martin14 @ Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:19 am

andyt andyt:
Where has he posted the ad? Do those lazy scum back east even know about this position? And as I say, fro TFW's employers will pay their flight and accommodation. I would be very surprised even if he posted his ad in BC that he wouldn't get takers if the job is guaranteed (so you don't move all that way for nothing) and a solid, permanent position. Even more so if you posted this back east.

As long as the government keeps making people happy enough sucking on pogey or swellfare, they won't move.

They have bring TFWs into PEI because the locals have to spend money on gas to go
to work, and then they have less money from welfare.

Change that, it's the only way.

andyt @ Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:29 am

If after buying gas they have less money than on welfare, that's not much of paying job, is it?

I do agree with the govt pushing people on EI to take jobs further afield. But you can't just expect somebody to travel across the country on the off chance they'll find a job somewhere. This has to be properly arranged, with a guaranteed job and assistance in moving (which they can pay back once they are settled.)

andyt @ Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:32 am

$1:
Mr. Kenney doesn’t appear to be wavering. In an e-mail Thursday, he noted 110,000 Albertans are looking for work and the changes will affect about 8,000 low-paying jobs currently filled by foreign workers. “There are also still too many people capable of working who are not in the labour force,” Mr. Kenney wrote.

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:41 am

$1:
How many here can say that they have done so themselves?

me

martin14 @ Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:47 am

andyt andyt:
If after buying gas they have less money than on welfare, that's not much of paying job, is it?

I do agree with the govt pushing people on EI to take jobs further afield. But you can't just expect somebody to travel across the country on the off chance they'll find a job somewhere. This has to be properly arranged, with a guaranteed job and assistance in moving (which they can pay back once they are settled.)

The fish mill so far has gotten around higher wages by using TFWs, while
work capable people stay at home.

The TFW program should be denied in any region with more than 6% unemployment.

From what I have heard, back East already looks pretty deserted.

Lots in Alberta.

The ones who are left will need to be pushed, and keeping them comfy won't do it.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:53 am

Funny, and here I thought the hundreds of thousands of immigrants we let in every year were supposed to pick up the "employment slack", or so we keep being told.
IF we still need to import TFWs then it's fairly obvious the only reason we have mass immigration to Canada is for the sake of having mass immigration to Canada.

grainfedprairieboy @ Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:15 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
only reason we have mass immigration to Canada is for the sake of having mass immigration to Canada.

During the crisis in Lebanon a few years back when there were demands Canada send in the Navy to evacuate it's citizens as there were more than 50,000 "Canadians" living in a country with a population smaller than Toronto. The USA by contrast had the second largest number of expatriates at several thousand.

Passport shopping is the backbone of our immigration system

andyt @ Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:54 am

grainfedprairieboy grainfedprairieboy:
Passport shopping is the backbone of our immigration system

bullshit.

1  2  Next