Canada Kicks Ass
Infanticide defence for women challenged

Previous  1  2  3

EyeBrock @ Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:53 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
Brenda Brenda:
Do you have a link to this quote? Including typo?

I copied it from my hard copy of the Criminal Code of Canada. But it's available online at: http://www.efc.ca/pages/law/cc/cc.html

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
You kinda read that a bit wrong Lemmy. Case law expands on the various definitions and points to prove.

Thanks for the clarification and reference. I read this morning that there have been 86 women in Canada charged with Infanticide since 1977. That's about 3 cases per year. I was very surprised to learn that infanticide charges were laid that frequently.

Yea, the raw laws are bolstered by case law, especially purely indictable ones like this. You never get the full story by just looking at the CC. Case law is what makes criminal law such fun.

I agree, it is surprising how many women are charged with this stuff. When I was in Manchester there was a bit of a spate of Pakistani and Bangladeshi child murders that was more of a cultural thing, as in they were female new-borns.

The media are reluctant to report on this stuff so it doesn't always make the news.

andyt @ Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:23 am

$1:
TORONTO - Mothers charged with murdering their newborn babies should not be allowed to use infanticide as a defence and receive a drastically reduced sentence, Ontario's top court was told Thursday.

Well let's hope this appeal is successful and the law is changed.

Previous  1  2  3