Canada Kicks Ass
Canadian election engineering

BadAssBookie @ Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:47 pm

Everyone likes to say Paul Martin was "crowned" and not elected at the Liberal convention. In fact, he waged a long war for control of the party from Jean Chretien so I believe there was in fact a contest. However this is not my point.

I was reading an interesting piece on another site about a theory that the Diefenbaker government was brought down due to strong American influence. I have often thought about this and it seems possible. It is accepted as fact that the US helped oust a prime minister in New Zealand after they refused US nuclear weapons.

My point is, given that Jean Chretien was so hated by Bush, is it possible that US pressure, money or whatever was given to Martin in a bid to dump a "regime" that was not friendly towards the US?

blubs @ Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:56 pm

That most likely is true the yanks were a tad jealous over the Arrow and it really wasnt that long after that deif was gone. It is rather sad that one country can influence another like that isnt it. What business is it anyways of the states who runs a country. I just wish they would keep their noses out of other countries affairs.
The American people I dont mind it is the moron in office I cant stand.

BadAssBookie @ Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:33 pm

But what about Martin? Is it possible he is a tool?

blubs @ Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:53 pm

Know what Bookie if he isnt already a tool he is gonna be Mulroney was so will he except him and Bush will be singing country music rather than Irish

BadAssBookie @ Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:31 pm

I would rather cut my ears off.....or better yet hack somebody's lips off.

Rev_Blair @ Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:12 am

Given Martin's record, I don't think that he's a "tool" of the US government, at least not on purpose. I think the corporations, many of them American, played a lot of backroom games to ensure that it was Martin, not Manley or somebody else, who came to the forefront though.

There really wasn't much of a contest. Chretien was due to retire. Manley could have put up more of a fight, but chose not to. In the end the only one in the leadership race that had any balls...was willing to stand up for her ideas and ideals...was Copps. That's a pretty fucking sad statement.

Will Martin become a tool of the US government? You bet he will. That's the job he's been applying for since he was Minister of Finance. His chin will start growing any day now.

Rosco @ Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:09 pm

blubs blubs:
That most likely is true the yanks were a tad jealous over the Arrow and it really wasnt that long after that deif was gone. It is rather sad that one country can influence another like that isnt it. What business is it anyways of the states who runs a country. I just wish they would keep their noses out of other countries affairs.
The American people I dont mind it is the moron in office I cant stand.

I can't really argue with the general American political influence angle but I can't see laying "Deif the Theifs" exit from office at the feet of the Arrow. The Arrow was {or would have been} a major step forward but it wasn't the 30 years ahead of its time world beater that its often made out to be, practically every high tech aircraft producing nation at the time {the U.S> especially} had designs that were at least as impressive in scope .