Canada Kicks Ass
Defining moment for Canada

Previous  1  2  3  Next

Lachdanan @ Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:55 pm

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
Saying that the UN has to decide is taking a stand, Lach. It's saying that international matters have to be solved by international bodies following international laws.

I don't think the Chretien government has taken a strong enough stand against this invasion...they should have been out there saying, "We are not going because the UN isn't going and the UN isn't going because..." It all should have been very public and we should have been very critical of the Bush administration's record of unilateralism since they came to office.

I think that Chretien was told to shut up, probably threatened by Bush, and listened. I think he was wrong to do that.

But thats not what Chretien did, all JC did was avoid the hard decisions and hope the UN would solve it for us. How is deligating the UN to make our decisions any different than having the US make them for us? It's the same wussyness that has permeated our federal politions. Fact of the matter is, Iraq NEEDS to be delt with, and perhaps a more active foreign minister and PMO in the UN and Washington could have achieved a resolution that is both in the interest of Canada and the freedom of Iraq instead of sitting on the sidelines with our thumb up our ass talking trash about US policy when we are too chickenshit to come up with a policy of our own.

RastaBeta @ Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:52 pm

Umm... Wasn't it Canada who had that major proposal to give Iraq a few more weeks to respond to the Ultimatum? We didn't just sit and do nothing.

Oh, and I don't think Cretian could've made much public criticism of what Bush's doing, because they'd retaliate economically AND it would piss off the albertans.

Rev_Blair @ Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:20 am

We did put forth a proposal, Rasta. The US, France, and Iraq all made it fail, but others in the international community thought it was good, or at least workable.

I don't think the US can do much to us economically anymore. They've tried to screw us too many times and I doubt their people would tolerate the results for long. Trade goes both ways and the US economy is in no shape to absorb losing 37% of theirs, including things like oil and electricity. They are as trapped as we are.

Some limited trade action might even smarten us up and start looking for more reliable trading partners.

polemarch1 @ Sat Apr 05, 2003 7:20 am

Giving Iraq a couple more weeks would not have changed anything. Saddam had 12 years to disarm, he didn't. Throughout this time the UN did nothing but pass reolutions it had no intention of enforcing.

Rev_Blair @ Sat Apr 05, 2003 9:24 am

Who told you that, Pole? Did they mention that the inspectors were finally making progress? Did they mention that the US opposed lifting the sanctions, which were clearly allowing Saddam to dig in and hurting the Iraqi people, in favour of trying something else? Did they mention that the US pulled the inspectors out for most of those 12 years?

The plan wasn't to give Iraq a couple of weeks, anyway. It was to give them a couple of weeks and then, if they met certain requirements, give them some more time. All with the clear understanding that if they didn't meet the requirements they would face UN-backed military action. The French didn't like it because their oil interests might be at stake. The US didn't like it because it did not include regime change, an illegal act, as a stated goal and because UN involvement would seriously limit US influence in Iraq after the invasion. Saddam didn't like it because it was going to take away his toys.

There likely would have been a war even with our proposal, but it would have been a legal war that might have made things better in the Middle East. Instead we got an illegal invasion that will lead to much strife and feed American imperialism.

polemarch1 @ Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:36 am

The only reason the inspectors where making progress was because of the massive build up of American and British troops. Saddam was merely playing for time knowing full well that the Coalition could not keep such a large force in the area for more then 6 months just sitting around in the desert waiting before problems arouse such as some terrorist deciding that all those troops were just to tempting a target to pass up. UN backed military action? Ya mean like the one that left a Communist dictatorship in charge of North Korea (no disrespect meant to Korean War vets intended), or the action that left Saddam in power? I know! How about the UN action in Rwanda? US pulled inspectors out? The inspections only worked when there was US military muscle behind them and even then any success was short term. Canada's proposal would have just given Saddam more time to prepare.

Davvid815 @ Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:10 am

I have never really thought about or cared who was for or against the war. If Canadians favor it decide it is wrong I have no opinion on that issue either. Bu it does bother me that apparently some Canadians decided to show some backbone and abuse a US PEEWEE HOCKEY TEAM that was visiting and playing in Montreal. Now that is an example of courage for you. I truly hope that this is not representative of the majority of Canadians. One of the saddest parts is the fans giving obscene signals to the kids and the Conidian players being encouraged by the officials to do it. I tend to believe in the old saying of show your ass, show your class. The US team should have quietly just left the ice. You stay on your side of the border. We stay on ours. ItÂ’s that simple. I watched them burn a flag of the US the other day and I was struck by the fact that if they really want to make an impression why not come on the US side of the border and shout their nationally and burn it. Did you notice the signs calling Bush a cowboy? Now that is a mistake. We in the US love cowboys, to many of us they are heroes. Ever see John Wayne lose a battle or a war? Now when those who burn the flag feel brave and cross the border to do it please let me know. I want to show the kind of welcome you would get from John Wayne.
I wrote a email to each member of your parliament about a week ago polity asking their take on the female member who referred to all “Americans as bastards” As a fine example of courage I have received not one reply. Does that refer to Canadians and Mexicans too? I would like to know that as well as being a moron, that at least she’s not a racist.
Oh and by the way,,,,
Yippee Aye AAAAA and Yippee Aye OOOOOO;

Dave Clark

RoyalHighlander @ Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:16 am

What happened there in Montreal was an embarassment to the majority of Canadians and i will apologise for that. This site here is for the most part a Pro Canadian site, not an anti -anything site. But we do not limit any ones right to an opinion. ( That comes with living in a great country as is ours) Thats why we have a rants/Raves forum. Even then, I as the Moderator, do limit whats acceptable even in the Rants forum. Please dont think that the actions of a few in one city reflect the opinions and desires of a nation as a whole.

Rev_Blair @ Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:53 am

Going after a pee wee hockey team isn't just wrong, it's ridiculous. The kids don't even get to vote, probably have only the vaguest idea of what war is ot what this one's about. It shouldn't have happened, but it did.

As for burning flags...that's a traditional method of opposing the actions of a government. It happened in the War of the Roses, it happened during the Luddite uprisings. Standards were burned in Caesar's Rome. It happened during the US Civil War and it happened during demostrations in the sixties. That it is happening again now shows how vehemently the US invasion of Iraq is opposed. A sports event might not be the place for it, but burning flags is a traditional method of protest.

Guest @ Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:35 pm

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
Going after a pee wee hockey team isn't just wrong, it's ridiculous. The kids don't even get to vote, probably have only the vaguest idea of what war is ot what this one's about. It shouldn't have happened, but it did.

Don't worry, similar incidents are happening to Canadians also, including physical/verbal abuse to Canadian tourists in the US and
trade reprisals among US vendors and consumers

Mcpl-Ripcord @ Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:01 pm

I saluted the PM for standing up to the u.s.a and not being bullied by them into going to war with them. That is our FREEDOM and the u.s.a should respect that.

I saluted my friend when he said he "believed in what we where doing in Afghanistan".that innocent people no matter what race or religion should not have to die. And that the u.s.a should wake up and realize that they where attacked not because bin laden hates freedom. I will not claim to know the thoughts or motives of others but there is more to this war on Iraq and anyone else that opposes the u.s.a then we are being told.

I saluted My friend when we loaded his body on the plane to be sent back to canada. a victim of "friendly fire" ...didnt seem very friendly to me

I don't blame the trigger happy american that killed my friends i don't blame osama bin ladden or hussien i blame G. Bush

And that is why i will never fight for an american cause again.

THANK YOU Jean Chrietien for not being bullied and excercising
our freedom to do what is best and right.

SGT Leger
Cpl Dyer
Pte Smith
Pte Green
R.I.P
Ex Coelis

Rev_Blair @ Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:59 am

Well put Ripcord.

HollywoodHitman @ Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:40 am

Ripcord.....

Well put. You're obviously a Patricia and a Jumper at that. Well done over there. I was and am proud of all the guys I know that were there. It's a thankless job and the lives that were lost were a tragedy indeed.

You, my friend have earned the right to be critical of the military, of the government and of the civillian population. You've also earned the right to decide which causes you will fight for. I am very pro military, proud of the Canadian soldier and disappointed with the flip flopping of our government as far as it's treatment of the military is concerned.

I have on my desktop a memorial to the Patricias killed.

Well done over there.

RoyalHighlander @ Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:48 pm

Mcpl-Ripcord Mcpl-Ripcord:
I saluted the PM for standing up to the u.s.a and not being bullied by them into going to war with them. That is our FREEDOM and the u.s.a should respect that.

I saluted my friend when he said he "believed in what we where doing in Afghanistan".that innocent people no matter what race or religion should not have to die. And that the u.s.a should wake up and realize that they where attacked not because bin laden hates freedom. I will not claim to know the thoughts or motives of others but there is more to this war on Iraq and anyone else that opposes the u.s.a then we are being told.

I saluted My friend when we loaded his body on the plane to be sent back to canada. a victim of "friendly fire" ...didnt seem very friendly to me

I don't blame the trigger happy american that killed my friends i don't blame osama bin ladden or hussien i blame G. Bush

And that is why i will never fight for an american cause again.

THANK YOU Jean Chrietien for not being bullied and excercising
our freedom to do what is best and right.

SGT Leger
Cpl Dyer
Pte Smith
Pte Green
R.I.P
Ex Coelis

electricbuford @ Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:55 am

Here's a letter in a recent issue of Macleans from a Canadian business man.

http://www.macleans.ca/xta-doc2/2003/04 ... 8113.shtml

Previous  1  2  3  Next