Canada Kicks Ass
From One Canadian to Another

davincan @ Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:38 pm

I have been reading through many of the threads here regarding the whole US/Canada/Iraq War thing. And it seems there are some very valid points on both sides of the argument. I have my own views about the war but I did not start this thread to voice them. I do, however, have a related question to ask of all of you.

One of the pionts made on many occasions is that we, as Canadians, have shown through all of this that we are not the 51st state. That we have our own identity. We have domonstrated to the world that we don't do the bidding of the USA.

First my questions:

Do you really believe this is the way to do it? And is it so important that it overrides our need to have a solid relationship with the US to facilitate matters such as trade, our protection, and our environment...just to name a few. Are there not many other ways to demonstrate our unique identity without stabbing our most valuable ally in the back...along with Britan...and the better part of the Commonwealth?

My opinion:

I have travelled quite extensively and I can assure those of you who have not that the rest of the world DOES NOT view us as the 51st State. Why do you think so many travellers sew little Canadian flags on their baggage and backpacks...and Americans do the same to be treated better by impersonating us? The world knows the difference.
But even if it didn't. I can not see the common sense in this philosophy. Like it or not we need them. We can all pretend this is not so, but in reality we would not be enjoying our comfortable standard of living without them. We do not have a military that can defend our borders.(If we did there would not be any money left for the things we take such pride in like our healthcare & schools) We do not have the population to maintain a viable economy on such a massive land mass without the valuable trade and investment we share with them. Why would we put these things in danger? Our relationship with the US is symbiotic. And this should weigh heavy in any decision we make that might have an effect on this relationship.

Twila @ Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:49 pm

What galls a lot of Canadians is the treatment we receive by the American Gov't.

Why should we have to pay tax to sell our lumber to them?

How come when a negative comment is made by us about them it is blown out of proportion. But it is alright for them to?

How come it is Our problem our lack of security when somebody makes it across the border who shouldn't? How come We have to step up security at our border. Is it not defended by both parties?

How come NAFTA works against us not for us?

Canada is a country that gives without expecting a big thank you card and undying devotion because of it.

I think Canada is tired of being treated with no respect by the US gov't. And maybe it's time to express that.

polemarch1 @ Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:38 pm

Well Twila made some good points, not supporting the US will have a long term negative affect. We will have no say in rebuilding Iraq and have lost what little respect we had in the Americans eye's before. How quick do you think they will be to reverse there trade policies now that we have openly come out aginst them... and for Saddam of all people!?

HollywoodHitman @ Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:02 pm

Not every fight can be the good fight.......Sometimes you need to do what is unpopular for the bigger picture.......We WILL pay somehow.......Maybe we'll be attacked and the US won't support us......Why would we have taken that chance?

Rev_Blair @ Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:15 am

Some things are more important than money. Joining an illegal war to ensure trade is a ridiculous idea.

The US also needs us. They can yap all they want, but the fact is that we are also their biggest trading partner. We also supply them with some pretty important things through that trade...most of their energy, for instance. Any sort of trade retaliation directed at us will hurt them too. Look at the lumber tariff...it's driven building costs up and hurt consumers in the US.

Any reaction should also send a message to our politicans and business community. That's a pretty simple message too, one most of them learned in school..."Don't put all of your eggs in one basket." We need to diversify trade so we are not so dependent on the US. The fact that our right to decide whether to join a war or not is in question should really drive that home.

electricbuford @ Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:36 am

If Canada wasn't so important to the U.S. , why has America gotten so bent about not getting Canadian support ? And yeah , it's time to diversify the trade situation because no smart investor puts the bulk of his investment in one single fund NO MATTER HOW BIG THE FUND IS , because , like ENRON , they might come crashing down someday .

davincan @ Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:38 am

For those of you who are saying we should diversify our trade.

I admire your eagerness to ween from the American breast. But the simple fact of the matter is, we are in no position to do that today. Would it not make sense to establish an economy that does not rely on our American neighbors BEFORE we stab them in the back?

And to Rev_Blair who said "Joining an illegal war to ensure trade is a ridiculous idea. ":

What about NOT joining a war to ensure trade. Is this not what the French did?(Iraq's #1 trading partner) Thereby eliminating any chance of a UN approved attack. And thus, by default, eliminating Canada...who's gov't refused to go without this approval.

Twila @ Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:11 am

I think that Canada has a ace in the hole with hydro power supplied to the US.

Right now California owes BC Hydro 6 million dollars for hydro power.

We have a large ace. The US can't supply power to it's citizens. Canada can supply them power. Maybe Canada plans to use it? Or maybe Canada wants to add another province?