Canada Kicks Ass
re: A Planned World Economy

C.M. Burns @ Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:28 pm

Since there doesn't seem to be any other way to add a forum post about this article, I'll do it my way.<br />
re: http://www.vivelecanada.ca/article/1047 ... ld-economy<br />
Now I'm sure of it! The author is a member of the Club of Rome!<br />
It's time to take away Mr. Jessop's push-pins.<br />
Again, Mr. Jessop makes the nightmare scenario so obvious:<br />
&quot;But the strain on the global food production capacity would be lessened if the eating habits in the affluent part of the world would change, becoming less wasteful.&quot;<br />
Bastards! How DARE they suggest that I shouldn't be able to eat as much Kobe beef as I can afford? How dare they suggest that I shouldn't be able to burn a year's worth of corn in my Gold-plated Hummer! Outrageous! Egregious!<br />
Seriously, this article speaks of nothing more than the paucity of scholarship allowed by this site. The author describes the purpose of the first two parts but there is no stated thesis for this part. Apparently. we're supposed to believe (without thinking critically) that a Planned World Economy is bad. As evidence of the 'horrors' the author cites the work of Bertrand Russell, conflating Russell's ridiculous plan with the Club of Rome, which are wholly un-related. The author claims that the COR are offering up a Soviet-styled planned economy while Russell was in fact no fan of the Soviet Union.<br />
The author also cites, for what purpose I cannot fathom, the following, in regard to the COR's example of oil pricing:<br />
&quot;A price too high, would encourage development of alternatives [but] result in long-term losses to the exporting nations. A price too low, would encourage over use and resource depletion which would result in long-term losses of the importing nations who would not have sufficient time to develop alternatives.&quot;<br />
I'd say that the COR hit the nail on the head!<br />
Come on, if there's evidence that the COR is intent on evil world domination there isn't a single shred of it in this series.