Canada Kicks Ass
Delurking...

1  2  Next

RSKennan @ Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:18 pm

...I guess I've delurked now. Might as well introduce myself.

When I was young I lived in Buffalo NY, and my family would take day trips over the border. I've wanted to move there ever since. I won't make this a long introduction, but let me just say that I've long admired Canada, and can't wait until I'm able to call it my country.

I'm a young writer in the US with a wife and son. We're beginning the process of moving to Canada. This move, while encouraged by the current political climate in the US, is not because of it, but rather because of a multitude of positve reasons to become Canadian. It's late where I am, so I'll list a few, but I can't get to them all:

Climate and Weather - I love the snow and mild summers! Winter sports are are the only ones I get into.

The Wilderness What else can I say? I love camping and hiking.

Social Programs - Which I would likely contribute to more than I would recieve, as I am on my way in my career.

Politics -Non-aggression is good. Peacekeeping is good. Being part of the UN is good. Socialized medicine is the only human thing to do. The death penalty is hypocritical.

The Creativity of Canadians- Look at all the film stars, musicians, artists. writers and other creatives that come from Canada!

Freedom of and from religion You guys seem to get it right more often than not.

There's a lot more, but as I've said, it's late here so I'll leave it at that. Anyway, thank you for having this site, and for welcoming people like me.

Rev_Blair @ Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:41 am

Hey RS, welcome to the board. What part of Canada are you considering moving to? What do you write?

-Mario- @ Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:46 am

Hey RS, Welcome to the board. Looking foward to exchange views.

RSKennan @ Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:20 pm

Hey guys, thanks.

I'm probably going to start out in Toronto and the rest of Ontario, but I'd like to explore the country, after I get citizenship. I have some distant relatives there, and I used to visit when I was a kid. There are lot of places in Canada that I'm interested in. I'd like to at least explore BC as a possibility. Hopefully I'd find somewhere I could work and have meetings, but also have relative peace and quiet when I'm at home.

As for what I write, I've done some game stuff (pen and paper RPG books), articles, and some journalism. I'm currently writing genre fiction; science fiction, fantasy, and horror in various media. I do this fulltime. I'm currently working on a huge project that will likely finance my family's move.

Edit: I hope I don't come across as full of myself- I'm really not. Most of the stuff I've done hasn't been that important, even though I hope what I'm working on right now might be.

Rev_Blair @ Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:51 pm

Ah, an s/f writer. I'll likely end up reading some of your stuff. Actually if you've in Asimov's I likely already have...my little bro has a subscription so I steal his old copies whenever I'm out his way.

$1:
Most of the stuff I've done hasn't been that important, even though I hope what I'm working on right now might be.

Define important though. You never know how important a story is because you don't know how it affects individual readers. You can do a lot of important work and never know it. I'm guessing that if you're getting published regularly enough to make a living in genre fiction you've done something that was important to somebody.

DMP08 @ Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:59 pm

Welcome RS. Consider this your welcome from the youth members of the board (I think there is only like 5 of us). Not saying that people like Rev and RH are old.... :lol:
If you come to BC, you gotta check out my little city. Especially in the summer. A lake on either side of town and a channel you can raft down going from lake to lake. Welcome. Enjoy!

Ralph @ Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:15 am

Welcome.
I hope that things work out for you and your family.
I think you have the right idea get your feet planted and then explore this place.
BC to Newfoundland good people great scenery.
Might even get some inspiration for a new book here

Rev_Blair @ Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:56 am

Stop by Winnipeg in your explorations too, RS. It's a cool city...the Paris of the Prairies.

DMP08 @ Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:09 pm

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
Stop by Winnipeg in your explorations too, RS. It's a cool city...the Paris of the Prairies.

LOL. That's gotta be a hugely sought after title eh? LOL! :lol:

Rev_Blair @ Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:42 pm

Don't knock it until you've tried it DMP. I mean really tried it too...sat on the patio of the Kingshead on a beautiful summer day and been out boosting your neighbour's car when it's minus forty. I've been in a lot of Canadian cities. This remains the one that suits me best.

DMP08 @ Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:59 am

I will come visit. But when I do, I want a cold beer waiting for me, possibly some cookies too.

I would love to head out with a friend on a road trip to see every province and territory in Canada as well as their capitals. Basically live out of a car/van and drive a giant road trip.

Rev_Blair @ Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:14 am

Do it while you're young, DMP. When you get older the time pressures seem to grow, making that kind of holiday impossible.

If you make it here, I'll meet you at the Kingshead.

DMP08 @ Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:37 pm

Okie dokie. Whats Manitoba legal drinking age? Year after grad I'll be 18...

Rev_Blair @ Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:48 pm

It's 18...I think that's the age everywhere buts Saskatchewan now.

Gonzo @ Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:06 pm

I do believe the legal drinking age is 19 in Ontario. If RSK is moving to Toronto he wont have to much of a winter. Not like in Ottawa. If outdoor hockey is his sport I dont think the rinks are open to long in Toronto. Also, the summers are hot and muggy, not mild like one might think of Canadian summers.
Winnipeg is the jewel of the prarries. I've said somewhere else that I've been there before. Loved the city. The sky's are huge. It's rich in history. Canadians knock the prarrie provences too much. You got to love a city like Moose Jaw, if for it's name at least!

1  2  Next