Canada Kicks Ass
A Move To Flatter Terrain

1  2  Next

AdamNF @ Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:19 pm

Well today I was told that if I wanted to I could move to Calgary to live him my cousins and work up there until I found out what I wanted to do with me life. At first I didnÂ’t want anything to do with the idea; I love Newfoundland and never want to leave. But then I got to thinking, it would be great opportunity. I have only been to Calgary once and that was like 8 years ago and I donÂ’t really remember much about. All I know is that Calgary is big and flat and my family up there is rich haha.

So what do you all think. Go for it?

polemarch1 @ Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:35 pm

I say go for it. Sounds like a great opportunity.

Rev_Blair @ Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:11 pm

Calgary is nice city and seeing other parts of our country is always a good experience. If you're working on the rigs, be bloody careful...big machine do big damage.

AdamNF @ Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:37 pm

No i wouldnt be working in the oil industry.

Rev_Blair @ Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:06 pm

That's good. I know a few people who got hurt pretty bad there. It isn't the industry so much as people not used to working around equipment.

Mukluk @ Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:57 pm

Not too many rigs in Calgary, but good advice nonetheless. Companies are getting far more serious about safety lately, however. And yes, that includes the big oil/gas players.

AdamNF - don't let the lead in your ass or the fear of God hold you back. Life is about having the best story to tell at the end - in my books anyways. Sounds like an interesting chapter, I am all about seeing different parts of the world/country. In my travels, one thing has become more and more clear - how much I love Saskatchewan, and I know that one day I will return there.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

m

Robair @ Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:26 pm

You're young, right? Got no plan yet? Why not travel 'till you have a plan? The more I see of the world, the more I wanna see. When I was 18, never thought I'd get very far from the farm, never had the desire. I travelled a bit, travelled a bit more, and it gets addicting (for me anyway) How do you know if you live in the best place on earth untill you've experienced a few other places? And you're not even talking about leaving the country, no big deal, should be easy!

Start packing son. Staaart packin' 8)

And remember:
"He who travels light has less to prove." :wink:

Indelible @ Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:35 pm

calgary is a great city. i have been living here since september.

and there are a lot of jobs here too. i am sure it would be no trouble.

plus there is great skiing and beautiful banff park very close by as well as a great view of the rockies from certain parts of the city

othello @ Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:05 pm

I agree with everyone else here.

Having moved to Calgary from points further east, here's some pros and cons:

Pros:
Access to the Rockies (~ an hour away by car).
Great camping, hiking and skiing.
Friendly city.
Doesn't feel as big as it is.
People have a pretty relaxed attitude in general.
Stampede.
No sales tax.
Good job environment, depending on what you do.
It can be +20 in January.
Really long evenings in the summer.

Cons:
Hardly any green.
Fall colours = yellow. (Forget reds and oranges).
Really dry.
It can snow in the summer.
What's politically right of centre in the east is NDP territory in Alberta (ok, so I'm exagerating, but this is the heartland of the former Reform / Alliance).

The biggest pro of all is not Calgary-specific. It's that you should take every opportunity to travel and experience the world when you have the chance. You'll kick yourself if you don't.

AdamNF @ Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:21 pm

It's kinda flat though, i mean there is no flat land in Newfoundland. Not a fan of the flatness haha.

But i am really thinking about it and yes i am young, just turned 20.

Indelible @ Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:23 pm

whatcha talking about othello? calgary has lots of green!

nose hill park is huge! plus there are parks and stuff like that all over the city!

what community u live in? (i'm in Winston Heights, NE)

Hopper @ Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:00 pm

I say go for it Adam. I took the plunge and moved to North Carolina in 2002 as one of the many health care workers that were enticed (bribed?) to move to the U.S. It was a great thing for me and my family. Although living south of the border didn't work for me, the change and the growth of trying something new was well worth it.

Good Luck

othello @ Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:07 pm

Indelible Indelible:
whatcha talking about othello? calgary has lots of green!

nose hill park is huge! plus there are parks and stuff like that all over the city!

what community u live in? (i'm in Winston Heights, NE)

I was talking about the fact that, by August, if we continue to have the same weather we've had in the last few years, the grass will be brown except where a property owner is watering it.

Calgary actually has a wonderful park system for a city of its size. Fish Creek, Nose Hill, Prince's Island, Edworthy, etc. It's all green, for a while, but then, it turns brown and dry and crunchy.

I'm in the West...Glendale, Glenbrook area.

Rev_Blair @ Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:54 pm

My bro used to live in that apatment building downtown that has the handle deal on top. It looks like a big lunchbox. Fancy place back then. Is it still?

I had a lot of friends move to Calgary in the past, usually when it had something to do with oil. It was where you went from Regina. They lived in the usual assortment of hovels. Been there during Stampede a couple of times.

The last couple of times I was there was on business and I found that the friendliness was...not really gone, but there was an initial weariness. Is that what it's really like now or was that just because I was forced to deal with greed-hogs?

RoyalHighlander @ Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:07 pm

Well ill tell you right now you wont be lacking for any fellow Nefounlanders in Cowtown, and on 17th Ave they ahve a little Newfie Bar called the Schooner Bar and Pizzaria.. nice place good folks

1  2  Next