Canada Kicks Ass
Do you hear your Canadian accent?

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:21 pm

Coldootside Coldootside:
^ that's interesting. But T.V doesn't usually shape your accent that dramatically IMO. It's more the people you interact with in real life. Funny that you say "pap" but I bet there's not a single American on the otherwise if the river that says "aboat". Weird huh?

TV doesn't shape it anymore because of cable. But when you are constantly bombarded with a particular accent, you start speaking in a similar manner. When it goes on for decades it can become a permanent accent.
When I go to Scotland it takes me less than 72 hours to slip comfortably into the accent and speech pattern of the area I stay. When I'm in Quebec for a length of time I start to sound like a Francophone speaking English with a French accent. Same when I lived among a bunch of Newfies. But once I leave Scotland or Quebec, those affectations go away. The Newfie accent though is still present when I say words like "car" or bar" and like I said, the Michigan accent creeps in once in a while with words like cop and pop. But that's because of years of constant exposure to both.

As for why the accent didn't go the other way is an easy answer. Sheer volume. A Metropolis of a few million people a mile away from a city of less than 200,000 at the time.

herbie @ Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:38 pm

People from Tronna who say were like wear instead of whir.

herbie @ Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:46 pm

Doing computer work for a lady from Newf. this morning. Asked her on the phone what kind of printer she had, I'd download the Windows8 driver for her.
Then found myself actually searching for a Starless printer on the Epson site... DUH... Stylus 115....

Coldootside @ Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:33 pm

herbie herbie:

Lol there is no such thing as a Toronto accent. They have the same accent as everyone else in southern Ontario. The "were" "wear" thing is just the standard Canadian vowel shift at work.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:24 am

herbie herbie:
Doing computer work for a lady from Newf. this morning. Asked her on the phone what kind of printer she had, I'd download the Windows8 driver for her.
Then found myself actually searching for a Starless printer on the Epson site... DUH... Stylus 115....

:lol:

Newfies are awesome though. If you need something built all you need to do is buy the materials and a couple of cases of beer and they'll help you build stuff just for their idea of a fun weekend :lol:

Jabberwalker @ Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:05 am

Coldootside Coldootside:
herbie herbie:

Lol there is no such thing as a Toronto accent. They have the same accent as everyone else in southern Ontario. The "were" "wear" thing is just the standard Canadian vowel shift at work.

Yes there is. They talk through their sinuses and it's kind of nasal. The Alberta accent is less nasal but more clipped and abrupt.

Coldootside @ Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:12 am

^ I don't recall people in Toronto speaking "nasal". That's more of an American trait. A person from Ontario won't sound any different from alberta.

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:38 am

You know....much like your special ed teachers, no one here gives a shit what a toad like you thinks.

Coldootside @ Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:53 am

^ Yeah... Tell me how do you pronounce "about"? And does "writer" and "rider" rhyme?

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:23 am

Sorry sweetums, but we're not going to do your junior high homework....fuck off you semi literate toad.

Coldootside @ Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:42 am

^ chicken. I bet you sound like a total Hoser hahaha.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:48 am

Coldootside Coldootside:
^ I don't recall people in Toronto speaking "nasal". That's more of an American trait. A person from Ontario won't sound any different from alberta.

You've obviously never left the village you were born in. There's a difference in accent just between northern and southern Ontario.

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:51 am

Coldootside Coldootside:

Keep chirping away fucktard.

andyt @ Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:56 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Coldootside Coldootside:

Keep chirping away fucktard.

Yep. You're doing Shep a favor. He's just no himself until his morning choleric. He doesn't take a shit so much as fling it, monkey style. He'll be good until noon then. Until the myocardial infarction, anyway.

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:00 am

Look Papa Hypocrite Troll once again runs to the rescue of Baby Troll.....isn't that sweet. Guess bart didn't give you enough of a push did he.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next