Canada Kicks Ass
GM plan to hire up to 1,000 engineers

1  2  3  Next

andyt @ Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:23 am

$1:
GM plan to hire up to 1,000 engineers in Canada a major boost for self-driving car's future
Driverless cars now a lot closer to reality after Canada's biggest auto deal in a decade

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/gm-cana ... -1.3624257

DrCaleb @ Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:41 am

That's why I don't drive a GM anymore. Google and Tesla already conquered the driverless car, and GM says, "Hmmmm, maybe we should look at researching this . . .".

andyt @ Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:46 am

Yeah, but GM can probably ramp up production of modestly priced cars a lot quicker. It's like saying I won't drive a model T because Karl Benz already conquered the car. You have a love on for Tesla, but let's see how he does with his first mainstream car. His high end car already has lots of reliability problems, those will probably be magnified when he goes into large scale production.

I think I'll hold out until the Koreans build a decent driverless car. They seem to have the momentum at the moment.

BeaverFever @ Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:15 am

Alright I won't gloat about the same thing on 2 different threads but given all of Wynne's recent big policy announcements that made conservatives predict economic apocalypse, "the biggest auto jobs deal in a decade" which not only brings a lot of jobs, but high-paying tech jobs, is pretty big news.

OnTheIce @ Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:27 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Alright I won't gloat about the same thing on 2 different threads but given all of Wynne's recent big policy announcements that made conservatives predict economic apocalypse, "the biggest auto jobs deal in a decade" which not only brings a lot of jobs, but high-paying tech jobs, is pretty big news.

What's there to gloat about?

It's 700 jobs over the next couple years. 1000 in total. They've already had plans an made announcements (last year) for the previous 300.

Doesn't really make up for the 1,000 lost just over a year ago in Oshawa.

BeaverFever @ Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:35 am

1,000 high-skill, high-tech jobs doesn't make up for 1,000 low-skill, low-tech jobs?

As the OP says, 1,000 engineers constitutes a "centre of excellence" and can form the nucleus of a high-tech auto sector to replace the current low-tech auto sector that can't compete with locations like Mexico.

DrCaleb @ Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:40 am

andyt andyt:
You have a love on for Tesla, but let's see how he does with his first mainstream car. His high end car already has lots of reliability problems, those will probably be magnified when he goes into large scale production.

I think I'll hold out until the Koreans build a decent driverless car. They seem to have the momentum at the moment.

I admire the engineering of the car. And the Model S is the first mainstream car. The Model X is the third model (second mainstream), and the Model M will be the fourth model. Anyone who expected the second model from a new car manufacturer to be flawless has unreasonably high expectations.

But you can still press a button on the app, and the Model S will back itself out of a parking spot, and drive itself to your location. Does any Korean manufacturer have anything on offer that will do that? Does any other car company?

Can you fall asleep at the wheel, and it still drives you to work? 8O

That's why I love the Tesla. ;)

OnTheIce @ Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:48 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
1,000 high-skill, high-tech jobs doesn't make up for 1,000 low-skill, low-tech jobs?

As the OP says, 1,000 engineers constitutes a "centre of excellence" and can form the nucleus of a high-tech auto sector to replace the current low-tech auto sector that can't compete with locations like Mexico.

They had 200 last year. Added 100 to make 300. They're adding 700 to bring the total to 1000.

Those 700 will be added over the next few years.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/general-motor ... -1.2940485

FWIW, those 1000 jobs lost in Oshawa last year went to Michigan, not Mexico.

OnTheIce @ Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:49 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Frankly, I'm surirpised you like the vehicle at all.

Being all computer based and "hackable" I would suspect you wouldn't touch this car even with your tin foil hat. :P

BRAH @ Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:50 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
That's why I don't drive a GM anymore. Google and Tesla already conquered the driverless car, and GM says, "Hmmmm, maybe we should look at researching this . . .".

The other reason not to buy a GM is....

BeaverFever @ Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:54 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:

They had 200 last year. Added 100 to make 300. They're adding 700 to bring the total to 1000.

Those 700 will be added over the next few years.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/general-motor ... -1.2940485

So? Still all those are new jobs under the supposedly economy-ruining, job-destroying Liberals, even after they announced their supposedly evil investment-killing Climate Change and ORPP plans.

$1:
FWIW, those 1000 jobs lost in Oshawa last year went to Michigan, not Mexico.
With the US assault on blue collar wages and standards of living, the two places are increasingly the same. I'd probably be better off drinking tap water from Mexico than from Flint.

OnTheIce @ Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:59 am

BRAH BRAH:
The other reason not to buy a GM is....

If you take a look around the auto sector lately, you'll realise how wrong that image is.

Every manufacturer is undergoing massive recalls.

Lemmy @ Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:01 am

Recalls are good. It means the manufacturer, not the owner, is going to pay for the repair.

DrCaleb @ Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:01 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Frankly, I'm surirpised you like the vehicle at all.

Being all computer based and "hackable" I would suspect you wouldn't touch this car even with your tin foil hat. :P

You misunderstand me then. I don't mind if a company like Tesla collects information about me to make my life easier - when it's done up front and openly. I don't like it when a company like Microsoft has to go through all sorts of deceptive techniques to collect information on me without asking. I really don't like it when companies like Fitbit collect information about me then won't allow me access to my own data, or when Samsung records conversations in my living room without telling me.

And again, a foiler is someone who suspects some conspiracy - I have actual admissions from the companies themselves that they do these things. ;)

OnTheIce @ Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:03 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:

So? Still all those are new jobs under the supposedly economy-ruining, job-destroying Liberals, even after they announced their supposedly evil investment-killing Climate Change and ORPP plans.

700 jobs over the next couple years is nice, but it's a much better photo-op. It's nothing to get excited about.

If you think that 700 new jobs over a few years is a sign that the Liberals energy and pension plan isn't a total disaster, you've got those blinders on really tight.

Besides, the ORPP won't happen. The Liberals will bow to pressure from business as they already have once. It's delayed and will eventually scrapped.

1  2  3  Next