Canada Kicks Ass
Hi everyone, looking for best place to live in Canada.

Montgomery @ Sun May 23, 2004 12:44 pm

Hi from a new guy, living in Ontario(Mississauga)
I come here for info on other places and standards of living in other parts of Canada because i'm consdidering moving out of Ontario.
I would like some feedback from Canadians as to which parts of Canada offer great, and importantly affordable living where your dollar goes further. Im tired of living in Ontario where I pay a premium just to live in the biggest business centre in Canada. And the level of services isn't that hot either. Only good thing is high wages and lots of work.
I'm a single guy, 34, looking to at first rent in a nice neighbourhood, near a big city for work. Im an A-Z driver and in Ontario I can earn arounf $16-21/hour.
I hope that gives an idea of what i'm looking for.
Here's a recent study comparing costs of living throughout Canada, but numbers dont tell the whole story.
http://www.gov.mb.ca/itm/invest/advantage/p_costs.html

Also I would like to say i'm glad to see a Canadian centric website where Candians all over can get together and talk.
And one more thing. You guys spend too much time obsessing on the U.S.
Just say " America? What's America?" and walk away. :lol:

RoyalHighlander @ Sun May 23, 2004 1:02 pm

In Alberta a GOOD Class 1 driver can make upwards of 25-30 an hour servicing the rigs.. Some are camp jobs but the pay is good and you are fed, so you can save quite a bit that way.. Lots of trucking jobs here in AB and in BC.. If you have moountain experience thats even better ... Edmonton isnt too bad a place to look

Sun classifieds
http://4665555.com/

Edmoton Journal classifieds
http://classifieds.canada.com/edmonton/

Montgomery @ Sun May 23, 2004 1:07 pm

Thats great thanks, but what I'm also looking for is info on costs of living as well. And what its actually like living in these cities on a day to day basis.

SeaLynx @ Sun May 23, 2004 1:23 pm

www.gov.ab.ca (Government of Alberta)

Could this help you?

Montgomery @ Sun May 23, 2004 1:27 pm

So how would I be recieved in Alberta. I moved to Vancouver for a year about 8 years ago and found it hard to make friends. There was definately some hostility towards me when they found out I was from Toronto.

Rev_Blair @ Sun May 23, 2004 2:42 pm

You should have a look at Manitoba too, Montgomery. Lower cost of living than Alberta, Winnipeg is a transportation hub so there's lots of work for truckers, and the automatic hatred of people from Toronto is less common here.

You can generally rent an apartment or small house for between $500 and $600 a month, and houses are still cheap compared to most places if you decide to buy later.

We have plenty of bars, restaurants (most per capita in North America) and general entertainment.

If you're thinking of moving, Winnipeg is a good place to move to.

QBC @ Sun May 23, 2004 2:49 pm

Don't look at all of BC that it's like Vancouver. Unfortunatly, many people out in the west still think the east is out to get them. I think it's a kind of penis envy or something. Too bad they just don't look at a Canadian as a Canadian at leave it at that. You would be welcome in Northern BC though, we're a little less formal up here...... :lol:

RoyalHighlander @ Sun May 23, 2004 2:49 pm

I have to agrree with the Rev on that one.. but its awfull cold in Winterpeg some time slOL... Lots of trucker work there too.. I guess im biases as I live in Edmonton myself.. And I like it here fine.. No animosity about being from Tarana.. they actually think you wisened up by moving out oif there LOL

Rev_Blair @ Sun May 23, 2004 3:18 pm

It's not that much colder here than a lot of Alberta, RH. You just have to remember to plug in your vehicle and wear long undies.

SeaLynx @ Sun May 23, 2004 4:49 pm

Stay where you are. :wink:

figfarmer @ Sun May 23, 2004 5:07 pm

Prince Edward County is great and the cost of living is low. You are near Belleville, Picton, Trenton, and Kingston.

Montgomery @ Mon May 24, 2004 12:23 am

Thanks ofr the feedback.
SOmeof your suggestions were whati was considering. Sorry but northern anywhere is out for me. Sounds too rustic for my liking.
If its outside of Ontario my main choices are
Manitoba and Alberta.