Canada Kicks Ass
List the famous people you've met and where you met them

1  2  3  Next

BartSimpson @ Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:29 pm

I had to go to one of those trendy (sappy) office personality training things earlier today and while most of it was bullshit they did have one exercise I liked even though I missed the point.

Simple: Write a list of the famous people you've met and where you met them.

BONUS: Add when you met them, too!

I'll start:

Robin Williams. Mrs. Bart and I met him in 1997 in San Francisco and you may recall I posted the picture of Lisa and Robin on here when he died.

Barry Bonds. I actually sat down and had a beer with Barry Bonds in 1995 after Governor Pete Wilson's Inaugural Gala. I had no clue who he was until we were done and then he told me he played ball.

Senator Ted Kennedy. Met him at the Friendly's ice cream place in Hyannis, Mass. back in 1985. Sat next to him and spoke briefly. He admitted to cheating on his diet and I kept it to myself for the most part.

Rob Lowe & Meg Ryan. Met the two of them at the California State Capitol in 1988. I had no idea who she was and she made a point of telling me and my reaction was, "Okay, nice to meet you!"

Glen Clark, Premier of BC. Glen was our next door neighbor at one time. Nice guy as a neighbor and we avoided political discussions.

Avril Lavigne. Met her in Sacramento when she was visiting a friend of ours who had gone to school with Lavigne. Circa 2000-2001. Seemed a nice kid and she did not look offstage like what she looked like on stage.

Larry Ellison (Oracle owner). Had a very brief meeting with Ellison and his entourage at the Marina in San Francisco. He's a raging asshole.

Alberto Fujimori (President of Peru). At the same Inaugural Gala where I met Barry Bonds I'd had to go pick up President Fujimori and one assistant at the Sacramento airport and take them to their hotel. The California Highway Patrol was supposed to do this but they got busy with something else so it fell to me to drive a head of state in my personal Volvo. What an extremely charming and unassuming gentleman he was. To me at least.

Can't think of any other really famous folks I may have met right now. There's a couple, I know, but they escape my memory.

xerxes @ Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:59 pm

That’s a pretty interesting list Bartman! [B-o]

I can’t say I’ve met anyone that famous except for provincial politicians. And even then it was only a passing “Hi, pleased to meet you.” But on that note I have met the former Lt. Gov of BC Stephen Point, Ujjal Dosanj and Tony Parsons.

raydan @ Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:06 pm

I've actually met quite a few of the old Montreal Canadians players including Yvan Cournoyer, Jean Beliveau and the Mahovlich brothers since my aunt worked for the forum. A lot of the Montreal Alouettes during practice since I went to University with Gary Chown (and played broom ball with him), who later played for the Als as an offensive lineman and linebacker.

Met a few Québec actors and singers including Corey Hart, Julie Masse, Robert Charlebois and all the members of Beau Dommage and Harmonium... and Sophie Lorain.

I met René Levesque a few days before he first got elected as PM in 1976... my father's parents and a few uncles knew him from his younger days in New Carlisle.

I also have a photo somewhere of my dad when he met Rod Steiger sometime in the mid 60s.

fifeboy @ Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:21 pm

For me, only 2 I can think of, both Olympic Gold metal swimmers, Mike Troy and Don Schollander. I only met Don a few times, Mike used to stay at our house when he came down to Louisville for meets. Mike was eight or nine years older than me, but a REAL nice guy.

Oh yeah... and Sailor Dan.

Tricks @ Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:27 pm

Chris Hadfield at a book/cd signing.

Josh Groban, did security for him, was back stage. Played with his dog.

I did security for a bunch of artists back stage, but never really *met* them. I did have an interaction with one of the guitarists of deep purple while I was on the barricade, was a fucking asshat.

Helped bring a bunch of girls back stage for Tiesto? :lol:

I've met pretty much every olympic level canadian curler.

Met Bobby Orr and got his autograph one time at a Legends' game in oshawa.

All I can think of right now.

BRAH @ Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:43 pm

Probably like everyone else Ryan Reynolds when he was filming DeadPool 2 in Vancouver.

llama66 @ Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:00 pm

Dave Steib (family friend)
Pinball Clemmons (Christian breakfast)
Anglo Mosca (fundraiser I attended as a kid)
Eddie Shack (same fundraiser)
GG Ray Hnatyshyn (Gala for Child Poverty in 1997)
Ken Dryden (same fundraiser )
Roy Romanow (Child Poverty conference '97)
David Dingwall (Child Poverty conference '97)
Stéphane Dion(Fed/Prov Student Government event in '97)
Preston Manning (came to my HS in 98)
Ernie Eves (learning disabilities conference 2000)
I also met Darryl Sittler when I was getting a tour of MLG, he told us that they had just traded Mike Eastwood for Tie Domi.
I also knew Joel Ward and Danny Snyder in College.

***Edited for ease of reading and to add David Dingwall and Stéphane Dion ***

DrCaleb @ Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:08 am

Farrah Fawcett and Lee Majors; on a ski lift at Sunshine Village, Banff. Late 70's I think.

Former Prime Minister Joe Clark; many times at the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage center in Stony Plain. We both used to be regulars. (Great lunch menu!)

All of the 'Crazy Canucks' Skiiers; Ken Read, Jim Hunter, Dave Irwin, Dave Murray, and Steve Podborski, also at Banff Lake Louise when I was trying out (3rd round) for the 1988 Olympics. I think it was 1986.

Jennifer Heil; many time Canadian Ski Champion and Olympic Medallist. I actually knew her (Great?) Grandparents, Cecil and Betty. She was just a toddler last time I saw her.

Becky Scott, also a famous Skiier, also from my area. I knew her parents as well.

Paul Newman; I've met him a few times at Indy races in Vancouver, Edmonton and Toronto.

The entire Trudeau family; Pierre, Margaret, Alexandre, Justin and Michel. I was in Iqualit (Frobisher Bay) to meet my Uncle, stationed at CFS Alert. The Trudeau family had gone to CFS Alert on a vacation, and they came in on the same Hercules plane as him. He had gotten to know them, so he introduced me. Early 80's I think.

Edit: Oh, the entire cast from the Oilers first cup win! Semenko, Kurri, Tikkanen, MacTavish, and Mark Messier. A company I worked for was installing a sound and security system in Mark Messier's house, and they all walked in as we were finishing up. 8O

Also met Todd McFarlane, as I worked for a company that had the main building sponsorship for Northlands Arena, and McFarlane came to the office as the Oilers Ownership board was using the boardroom beside my office for a meeting, and he wandered in my office. Early 2000's I think. 2004?

CDN_PATRIOT @ Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:51 am

Hmmm....

Elvis Stojko. Met him back in 2001 when I worked for Canadian Tire. He lived in Richmond Hill at the time, and came into the store every so often to get stuff for his Chevy Blazer.

Milt Stegall. One of my all-time heroes, I met Milt last year here in Barrie. He and Damon Allen were doing the Canadian Football Hall of Fame tour with Princess auto. Awesome dude! Signed my Grey Cup football!

Damon Allen. Was touring with Milt Stegall. Really cool dude! Explaned to me in great detail why signing my football with a silver Sharpie was better than any other colour. LOL.

Jim Caruk. Personality in the home improvement industry. Was a customer of ours at the paint store that I worked at for 10 years.

That's about all I can think of. I don't get to meet many famous people, as I'm not that cool.

-J.

Robair @ Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:56 am

Had beer with Angie Aparo. More than one I think. Some bar in Nashville.

Also chatted with Corb Lund a bit. In Hazlet SK.

Biff Naked, sort of. Ran into her house boating on the Shuswap.

I generally avoid people. So the fact that I've met anybody famous is unlikely.

*edit, didn't post where...

llama66 @ Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:08 am

Can I list my Grandpa? He was a appointed King's Counsel and was the Chief Legal Counsel for the National Wheat Board for 45 years?

BartSimpson @ Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:14 am

Just to share the best comment from yesterday's meeting (from one of our young ladies):

"Michael Bublé hasn't met me yet." :lol:

PluggyRug @ Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:00 am

Margaret Thatcher and her entire cabinet (can't remember their names lol) early 80's whilst installing a computer controlled microfiche system.
Talked for couple of hours about everything EXCEPT politics. Served with a roast beef sandwich by Margaret herself.

All four Beatles at the Cavern Club Liverpool before they were well known. Was in there to set up some telecomms equipment for the club owner.

Met many asshole throughout my life who later went on to become even greater assholes.

raydan @ Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:21 am

My son met the Queen and Prince Harry. :D

Robair @ Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:56 am

llama66 llama66:
Pinball Clemmons (Christian breakfast)

Pinball used to be entertaining as hell to watch!

1  2  3  Next