Canada Kicks Ass
Prince William's personal flag in Canada revealed

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Gunnair @ Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:23 pm

commanderkai commanderkai:
raydan raydan:
Sorry if I offend anybody, but I find that thing ugly. :?

I agree. Then again, I'm not a fan of anything relating to the monarchy.

I am. There is enough erosion of Canadian traditions these days through immigration and youthful disinterest without going out of our way to remove it.

Frankly, as much as I hear complaints about recent immigrants not trying to fit in or adapt to Canadian traditions, it's hard to do so when we are so quick to do it ourselves.

weaselways @ Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:28 am

SprCForr SprCForr:
Ah, I didn't know that. I learned soemthing today.

So, the next question would be: Why is it displayed so prominently?

The Harp maybe in reference to the "National instrument of Wales" but that might be pushing it. The flag does become more politically correct using that reference.

EyeBrock @ Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:46 am

The monarchy are all descended from the Normans. Hence the French bit. The flag is the Royal Standard with a few bits added for William. The Harp, Lion Rampant, Fleur and the three lions of England have been on the Royal standard for about 400 years. Sinple stuff to google.

EyeBrock @ Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:49 am

weaselways weaselways:
SprCForr SprCForr:

The Harp maybe in reference to the "National instrument of Wales" but that might be pushing it. The flag does become more politically correct using that reference.

You really don't know anything about this subject do you? Why guess wrongly?

weaselways @ Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
weaselways weaselways:
SprCForr SprCForr:

You really don't know anything about this subject do you? Why guess wrongly?

Really now. Why would you say that? The flag is of Canadian design hence the maple leaves at the bottom. The Fleur de Lis, Lions & Harp are symbols of our founding nations England, Scotland, France & Ireland. I only bring in the Welsh factor as an alternative. The Irish broke the yoke of British hegemony less than 100 years ago and would be less than pleased being associated with the Royals on a "personal flag"

EyeBrock @ Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:17 am

It's been adapted for the Royal tour. And you continue to display your ignorance of the UK and Eire. Wales was conquered in the 10th century, prior to the Norman invasion. I'd step away now if I was you. Post on something you have knowledge of.

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:18 am

$1:
The monarchy are all descended from the Normans.

They haven't been Norman for quite a few centuries. The Tudors , the Stewarts, the hanoverians and the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas of today would have a very tenuous connection to the Norman dynasties, the Angevins and the Plantagenets. I doubt if houses Lancaster and York saw themselves as 'Normans'....although they didn't relinquish their claims on the French throne.

EyeBrock @ Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:31 am

That's the other French link, Plantagenet’s and on. The Channel Islands are the remaining bits of the Norman-French, Plantagenet, Tudor dynasty with lands in France. The impact of the Brits French links shouldn't be underestimated. Even Kings such as Richard 1st (Lionheart) couldn't speak English.

Henry VIII took refuge in France as a teen. The Stuart Kings had major links with France (17th century King James II is buried just outside Paris)up until William of Orange’s time. That's way past Tudor times. Once the Hanoverian bunch came in the French ties were loosened somewhat.

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:36 am

$1:
Even Kings such as Richard 1st (Lionheart) couldn't speak English.

George I and II didn't either. French was the language spoken by the educated nobility in most European nations at the time. this was true even into the 19th century. One of the 'reforms' of Peter the Great was to make his boyars all speak french in the Russian court.

weaselways @ Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:36 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
It's been adapted for the Royal tour. And you continue to display your ignorance of the UK and Eire. Wales was conquered in the 10th century, prior to the Norman invasion. I'd step away now if I was you. Post on something you have knowledge of.

Educate me.

EyeBrock @ Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:50 am

weaselways weaselways:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

Educate me.

Do it yourself. I did.

weaselways @ Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:06 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
weaselways weaselways:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

Educate me.

Do it yourself. I did.

Then stop blowing smoke.

EyeBrock @ Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:19 am

I get tired of people posting utter bullshit on subjects they know nothing about. Personally I debate on matters I have a good working knowledge of.

You Mr Weasel, should find a subject you have some knowledge of.

weaselways @ Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:14 am

We may be at an impass here, your bafflegab may have some cogence to some. Look we are talking the "personal flag of William" as designed & approved in Canada (the Canadian coat of arms as a basis). I originally brought up the Harp because of the animus the Irish have toward England witness the Rebellion 1916-17 & the IRA. In jest I offer up the Welsh natonal instrument as a sop. I'm slightly incredulous given your self directed higher knowledge of the subject, you would not pick up on the subtlety of the statement.

commanderkai @ Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:30 am

Gunnair Gunnair:
I am. There is enough erosion of Canadian traditions these days through immigration and youthful disinterest without going out of our way to remove it.

Frankly, as much as I hear complaints about recent immigrants not trying to fit in or adapt to Canadian traditions, it's hard to do so when we are so quick to do it ourselves.

Fair enough. I've heard this argument before, but they usually come from the same people who would willingly and happily erode other Canadian traditions.

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next