Canada Kicks Ass
The normalcy in a tragedy

1  2  3  4  Next

andyt @ Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:26 am

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... e30512036/

$1:
Whatever Omar Mateen’s psychological or ideological motives, whatever mix of homophobia, self-hating homosexuality, Islamic extremism and ego-driving braggadocio he had adopted, he was becoming a more normal member of his community – or at least of a certain very masculine, very conservative corner of it.

Only in the wake of the horror he unleashed is it becoming apparent to people here, and their leaders, that Mr. Mateen got away with it because his views and his utterances were so completely, frighteningly normal.

BartSimpson @ Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:07 am

I'm not the least bit surprised that you'd celebrate an opinion that is critical of anyone who's masculine or conservative.

andyt @ Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:08 am

Guess I can't be surprised that you would see what Sanders describes as admirable.

BartSimpson @ Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:11 am

andyt andyt:
Guess I can't be surprised that you would see what Sanders describes as admirable.

And again in English? [huh]

Edit: You meant the author, Saunders, not Bernie Sanders. :idea:

DrCaleb @ Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:17 am

Religion is still the only socially acceptable prejudice we have left. :(

BartSimpson @ Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:23 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Almost. People like Andy have no problem working up a hate against imaginary Christian bogeymen who hold weekly pogroms of homosexuals yet when confronted with a Muslim mass murderer he has to blame everything BUT the man's religion for what happened.

According to Andy the murders had nothing at all to do with Islam (which is a religion of peace) and everything to do with:

Donald Trump
Firearms that weren't even used in the massacre
Testicles
Conservatives (even though the guy was a registered Democrat)
& etc.

Anything but his religion which commanded him to slaughter homosexuals.

andyt @ Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:27 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I'm not sure what you mean. Saunders describes an atmosphere where all sorts of prejudices were freely expressed. Look at what he says about anti gay prejudice, look at that Fox sideline reporter that was babbling on about Mexicans and what have you. Not that we don't have plenty of men who are as Saunders describes in Canada. Just probably don't own as many guns, and maybe keep their opinions to themselves a bit more. I also noticed that in Australia, where I went in 1990 and 2000. By 2000, gays that had been denigrated in Sydney were all of a sudden celebrated. (Probably a different story in the outback) and the straight men all of a sudden had a sensitive veneer when dealing with women that wasn't there in 1990.

Unless you meant prejudice based on religion, as in "God tells me to hate gays." Yeah, that one is dying a very slow death. The amount of crap we allow in the name of religious beliefs is staggering.

andyt @ Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:28 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Almost. People like Andy have no problem working up a hate against imaginary Christian bogeymen who hold weekly pogroms of homosexuals yet when confronted with a Muslim mass murderer he has to blame everything BUT the man's religion for what happened.

According to Andy the murders had nothing at all to do with Islam (which is a religion of peace) and everything to do with:

Donald Trump
Testicles
& etc.

It would be interesting to see you try to back up your foaming with some actual quotes.

BartSimpson @ Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:33 am

andyt andyt:
It would be interesting to see you try to back up your foaming with some actual quotes.

You selected and posted this article and then you selected and posted your favorite quote from it. Or was that someone else?

andyt @ Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:38 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
andyt andyt:

You selected and posted this article and then you selected and posted your favorite quote from it. Or was that someone else?

Here it is again
$1:
Whatever Omar Mateen’s psychological or ideological motives, whatever mix of homophobia, self-hating homosexuality, Islamic extremism and ego-driving braggadocio he had adopted, he was becoming a more normal member of his community – or at least of a certain very masculine, very conservative corner of it.

Only in the wake of the horror he unleashed is it becoming apparent to people here, and their leaders, that Mr. Mateen got away with it because his views and his utterances were so completely, frighteningly normal.

Now, how does lead you to say
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Donald Trump
Testicles
& etc.

???

I think you're reacting because this article comes too close to home for you. Except for the radical Islam, Saunders could be describing you. Now only wait for OTI or Caleb to accused me of trolling because I certainly did think of you (not only you) when I posted this piece.

DrCaleb @ Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:49 am

andyt andyt:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Unless you meant prejudice based on religion, as in "God tells me to hate gays." Yeah, that one is dying a very slow death. The amount of crap we allow in the name of religious beliefs is staggering.

I mean both prejudice based in religion, and prejudice against someone because of their religion. And the latter seems to be escalating.

andyt @ Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:51 am

What made you say the latter in this particular context?

Thanos @ Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:08 am

The prejudice against their religion is only occurring because of the actions their religion keeps encouraging.

DrCaleb @ Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:15 am

andyt andyt:
What made you say the latter in this particular context?

It wasn't in this particular context, rather the trend in general. 'Religion' is at the heart of both examples.

DrCaleb @ Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:18 am

Thanos Thanos:
The prejudice against their religion is only occurring because of the actions their religion keeps encouraging.

Exactly! And when their religion is blamed for something, and they all condemn that thing - no one pays attention to the condemnation or remembers it 10 minutes afterward. So that makes it OK to keep repeating the meme?

1  2  3  4  Next