Canada Kicks Ass
THEY'RE BACK

whelan costen @ Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:37 am

Yah, it seems like a nightly ritual, just to peeve us off! Cause it always shows up as a new comment, which I usually check...most annoying.

Jesse @ Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:51 am

If it seems like I'm slow to act on this, it's because I'm gathering evidence, looking for a pattern than I can use to block them. I may end up hacking in some code to block certain URL links (a much better plan than blocking certain words). Have patience, they will be stopped eventually...

Dr Caleb @ Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:14 pm

And then post a slashdot article so we can cause their servers to melt.

4Canada @ Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:40 pm

Jesse, Worm attack! There's two or three on the remarks list out there tonight.

Reverend Blair @ Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:30 pm

So how does this worm thing work? Do we have to take chewy pills or something? 8O

Jesse @ Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:53 pm

[QUOTE BY= Reverend Blair] So how does this worm thing work? Do we have to take chewy pills or something? 8O [/QUOTE] No, I just have to go in an delete the evil comments once in a while. At least until I code up an anti-spammer module.

4Canada @ Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:54 pm

Onions, you have to eat raw onions.

Reverend Blair @ Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:23 pm

Onions are okay, but the chewy pills scare me. The dogs love them, but the dogs love Milk Bones too. I tried a bite of milk bone once, wanted to know what all the excitement was about. It tasted like rotting chalk. I don't want to eat chewy pills.

4Canada @ Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:32 pm

Jesse, "Hollywood will sell us the rope to hang itself." That's one showing up tonight. One thing I've noticed is that these spam attacks are showing up on articles that have had no replies to them. Is that what you've observed as well? If that's the case maybe we just need to make a spam reply even if we don't have anything to remark on with regards to the submitted article?

Jesse @ Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:28 pm

Alright everybody, I just hacked in some code to force a delay between hitting 'preview' and hitting 'submit' on comments. As far as I know, the anonymous spammer script who has been leaving wonderful (feh) links doesn't know how to deal with this, as those spam comments were being left at superhuman speeds. <p> If you do notice more, I will hack in more drastic measures. This should work for now. Score one for the good guys! :)